Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8040 of 53082, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
That looks like a cross between a Tekram P5T30 and a Aopen / Jetway J-656C - IDE connectors are in the same place as on the Jetw […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Unknown Socket 7 board with Pentium 166:
http://imgur.com/YbGLi7Z

That looks like a cross between a Tekram P5T30 and a Aopen / Jetway J-656C - IDE connectors are in the same place as on the Jetway and jumper layout is nearly identical to the Tekram. The only difference between it and the Jetway is the presence of the SD-RAM slot - and the Tekram has 4 PCI slots.

By overall layout and PCB color I'd say it's an OEM Tekram board.

Unrelated, I'm getting another lot delivered next week witch contains some socket 7 boards witch are of almost of no use to me - but if I don't take them, they'll be scrapped... 🙁

I'm keeping the I/O cards - all of them - the 16MHz 286 board (with what looks like a co-processor???), the memory modules, the Chips ISA video card and of course the Creative Voodoo 2.

The question is - are any of the socket 7 boards in the pictures below worth saving? I spotted a Biostar board (one of my favorite brands) with the Intel chipset and a PS/2 port under the AT keyboard connector - but I don't like the fact that it has a Dallas RTC with a built in battery - I might keep that... The ATX Socket 7 board also looks interesting since it has those big PCI slots (and I have a SCSI card that fits it) - but it looks pretty damaged (nothing I can't fix tough). What about the rest? would you guys get any of them?

http://imgur.com/r2M0dOK

http://imgur.com/Hk3Uha2

http://imgur.com/2l8F02v

Most of those look like OEM boards, and most likely won't work normally on their own without some specific bits that came with that system. The ones that are stand-alone have soldered on Dallas RTC chips. Which may work but some day the chips will run out and make the boards mostly useless. The one that is interesting is the yellowish 286 motherboard, with the math co-processor installed and 30pin ram slots. Those ram slots are rather unusual for a 286 board. But.. the battery looks to of leaked and may of damaged the motherboard, so need to look at that. It might work though.

There's that one intel server motherboard with the 66 Mhz PCI slots. That's worth saving and trying to get working at least, probably. Shame it doesn't have AGP though. If it was me I would just strip down the oem boards for ram/battery/jumpers then toss em. That's me, though.

Reply 8041 of 53082, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I completely agree. Like I said, I already had my eye on the 286 board - most unusual indeed. I'll keep the ATX s7 board, and probably the biostar as well (the one with the PS/2 port). I managed to Identify one of the OEM boards - it came out of an old HP Vectra and I just happen to have the complete case + PSU to put it in.

Thanks for the input!

P.S. All OEM boards come with their corresponding riser slots.

Reply 8042 of 53082, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really that retro, but these finds were free, so... Salvaged some parts from a semi-modern HP Pavilion computer today from the dump. Was mainly interested in these parts:

5VqEAMNl.jpg

An ATI Radeon HD 4550 with 1GB DDR2 VRAM, plus 4GB DDR2 RAM. 😎 I also decided to pluck the mobo (an Asus A8M2N-LA, socket AM2) because it seemed to be a decent board for an OEM machine. It did come with a CPU; I'm not sure exactly what it is because, of course, it's glued to the heatsink. Haven't tried any of this stuff out yet because of residual moisture. Also spotted this indescribable mess which I just had to grab pics of.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 8043 of 53082, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:
MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum http://kawai.spb.ru/photo/d/125885-2/ISA_MediaVision_Pro_AudioSpectrum_f.JPG. […]
Show full quote

MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum
ISA_MediaVision_Pro_AudioSpectrum_f.JPG.

IBM Music Feature Card (IMFC)
ISA_IBM_Music_Feature_Card_IMFC_c.JPG.

Holy crap you have some mad skills to find this kind of stuff. Been looking for a PAS forever.

Reply 8044 of 53082, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Holy crap you have some mad skills to find this kind of stuff. Been looking for a PAS forever.

A friend from same county, bristlehog, accidently sold them to me.
I'm not ever think, that I can find them so fast and close.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 8046 of 53082, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

accidentally?! 8-O

I mean - quite unexpectedly for me ;)

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 8047 of 53082, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see rare items stay in the community! I bought a PAS16 SCSI and CT1770 SCSI yesterday. En route. I also got an IBM PS/ValuePoint 425SX/Si in yesterday. Plus I bought a new house (pending inspection et cetera). I just have to figure out where to put my computer equipment. No basements in FL and my new house (when all goes well) is a 1 level structure.

Reply 8048 of 53082, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made an offer for a CT1330 and it was accepted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tested-CT1330 … =p2047675.l2557

(for some resaon it shows sold for $249), I didn't pay that much for it... more like divided by half. Still... a bit much (a realistic price would have been $30). Whatever... will do some testing when it arrives regarding bipolar capacitors.

Reply 8049 of 53082, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold wrote:

Made an offer for a CT1330 and it was accepted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tested-CT1330 … =p2047675.l2557

(for some resaon it shows sold for $249), I didn't pay that much for it... more like divided by half. Still... a bit much (a realistic price would have been $30). Whatever... will do some testing when it arrives regarding bipolar capacitors.

Actually those have been selling for the $100-$150-$175 range recently when they show up on ebay. One sold just a couple weeks ago for $150, so that's about what "Today's price" is like, $30 for these would almost be a steal.

I'm holding on to mine for quite a few more years yet, at least until it reaches roland hardware prices some day, then I might consider selling it. Maybe.

Reply 8051 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

+1. Absolutely ridiculous haul! Nice work! Those are the top two on my 'want' list.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8053 of 53082, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Unknown Socket 7 board with Pentium 166:

That looks like a cross between a Tekram P5T30 and a Aopen / Jetway J-656C - IDE connectors are in the same place as on the Jetway and jumper layout is nearly identical to the Tekram. The only difference between it and the Jetway is the presence of the SD-RAM slot - and the Tekram has 4 PCI slots.

By overall layout and PCB color I'd say it's an OEM Tekram board.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if there are any markings on the board.

1982 to 2001

Reply 8054 of 53082, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I just have to figure out where to put my computer equipment. No basements in FL and my new house (when all goes well) is a 1 level structure.

Some of us, who lives in a big cities, has something like 40m2 (about 430 sq ft) to fit all hw and family. ;)
Usually it means that it is necessary to make custom racks in the pantry, so you have to pullout equipment when you want to play, and then return back to rack.
As for me - I've created small wood rack for living room, with shelfs on rail, to keep most interesting hw ready at hand:
rack3.jpg

Reply 8055 of 53082, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Whoa, cool. I just got an Asus board with the Mediabus connector (just a few posts up). I like 'weird' combo cards like those :)

Starting googling and found, that there was 2 version of mediabus, and them not compatible(!): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus
Also there list of 8 daugthtercard for mediabus. But I still can't find list of mobo with mediabus and their versions.