VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this card 2 years ago for an IDE raid1 array with Windows Server. I chose it after reading reviews of the best IDE raid cards of that time (This card's from 2003) but this one has a whopping 8 IDE ports on the PCIX card! 😲 Now my question is ... I plan on switching cases for my file server and that means disconnecting all cables and stuff. Will simply removing hard drive cables damage my hardware raid array or cause lost data? Do I have to reconfigure the array afterwords even if everything is plugged in the same way in the old case as in the new case, and even when the drives are re-plugged into the exact same IDE ports on the card used before? Should I copy my 300GB+ of data to a spare computer before doing the case swap? The twin 750GB drives are still in healthy working condition. So moving files shouldn't be troublesome...

Attachments

• escalade.png
    Filename
    escalade.png
    File size
    151.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pic of the card I use
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 2, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would back them up just in case. When you transfer the disks, make sure that the ide0 on your old raid setup is on ide0 on the 3ware one (and with ide1 to ide1 ect.). Just make sure to mark all drives and cables to prevent a drive in the wrong place. Now if your last raid was software then it might find it (You can test the principle of software raid with 2 flash drives in a raid 1 or 0 and plugging them into a different computer). But before you try anything, just back up your data. I've lost 100's of gigabytes in pictures and video due to screwing around with different raid controllers.

Ayy LMAO