VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every time until today I looked at ISDN cards as complete trash and unwanted. But today when I accidentally bought one I checked ebay does anyone use these things. What I saw was way beyond my expectations. People actually sell these!
The prices I see are pretty retarded, for example ; http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVM-Fritz-Fritz-B1-Ve … =item5676e53fd5

Why are these cards still used? Aren't they an outdated internet communication protocol?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 10, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is not a normal ISDN card.
This is a business ISDN card with a RISC CPU to relieve the host CPU load.^^
It might be still in use in some businesses, like XP in the navy.
And if a business needs a replacement you only get them for this rediculus price.

Edit: I might should add that in general ISDN is dying in germany.
All the main carrier switching to all-ip and voip these cards will lose all it's "worth" in a few years.

Last edited by Solarstorm on 2015-06-26, 07:52. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Solarstorm is right, this is a special card. Regular ISDN modems aren't worth anything in my opinion. Althougt you could always try and sell them, who knows what people need 😀?

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, some industrial stuff right? This is the card I mistaken for an CGA/EGA : zlGaGE1m.jpg
But it is actually an ISDN card (written at the bottom, me blind 🤣 )

Reply 4 of 10, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The way people make money on obscure PCBs and other parts is that they typically have a warehouse in a cheap location (country side / poor part of a city). They then list everything they have (1000s/10,000s of items) in online catalogs / eBay. They put very high prices on items (close to a 1,000% gross profit margin) so that when they sell an item someone urgently needs (production / science / medicine / government / you name it) it generates enough $ for them to pay for their costs as well as generate a profit.

Trying to do this as a private person with very few items is not a very realistic proposition. Most of the many items these re sellers (tertiary/secondary market) stock take years to (or will likely never) sell.

This is why I typically recycle odd PCBs. Last year I bought a P233MMX that was full of echo cardiogram PCBs from the late 1999s: completely useless and near impossible to sell.

I remember ISDN from the mid 1990s in NL but it never really caught on from what I remember. Only businesses, schools and a few private households subscribed: it was pretty expensive albeit a lot faster than PTSN obviously. 😀 I think cable TV internet hookups destroyed it pretty quickly because people subscribed to that bundled with TV for a fixed price with unlimited bandwidth.

Reply 5 of 10, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you are referring to ebay, check for sold listings, that might give you an idea on what those actually go for.

Reply 6 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah that's what u guessed. ISDN was mentioned a long time ago here but never went live. Since then I have been seeing imported used devices a lot. This time one sneaked its way in 😁
Too bad for the card, it looks pretty cool. Even has RAM chip placement like video cards.

Reply 7 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was basically the ultimate form of dial-up internet, but was completely replaced by DSL. They're probably more useless than 56k analog modems now.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

The way people make money on obscure PCBs and other parts is that they typically have a warehouse in a cheap location (country side / poor part of a city). They then list everything they have (1000s/10,000s of items) in online catalogs / eBay. They put very high prices on items (close to a 1,000% gross profit margin) so that when they sell an item someone urgently needs (production / science / medicine / government / you name it) it generates enough $ for them to pay for their costs as well as generate a profit.

Trying to do this as a private person with very few items is not a very realistic proposition. Most of the many items these re sellers (tertiary/secondary market) stock take years to (or will likely never) sell.

This is a very informative post.

Do you think it's worthwhile trying to list really old motherboard manuals (XT/286/386) there?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 10, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISDN is still in use in Germany for fax servers and the like. It does have the advantage of providing two lines over a single phone line, and for companies, the price difference over an analog phone line is negligible.

The AVM B1 is an active ISDN card. The passive ones (much, much more common) are not officially supported on Windows servers, so the B1 was the most cost effective solution for a long time. Had to buy one a few years back, and it did cost around 500 Euros new! Therefore I think 200 Euros is reasonable.

Reply 10 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't that a bit too pricey due to age of the card?
The one I bought is also an AVM B1 card but I can't imagine it still having usage.