VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it is annoying, but I have no luck with my mt32. I hope it is not broken.
I have Pentium 2, with dos 7.10 and Awe 64 gold. I hooked it MT32. I have AWE64 configured in Autoexec.
On midi cable, I put end labeled with IN to OUT on MT32. The other One (OUT) I plugged into IN on MT32.
I have adapter that link together L and R output from MT32. I hooked it into my speakers.

I run setup of hand of Fate. I picked mt32 as a sound, and I'm getting "Unable to find Sound driver"
Other games - silence. What to do?

Reply 1 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're getting "Unable to find Sound driver", that means the game can't communicate with the MPU401 MIDI interface. So it's not an issue with the MT-32.

The game should work, even with no MT-32 connected.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only things you should need to connect is the MIDI OUT of the PC to the MIDI IN of the MT32 and the sound outputs to your speaker. Also be sure not to start the GM emulation drivers of the AWE . Finally, try changing the MPU-401 interface to use port 330h and IRQ 2 and using SoftMPU

Reply 7 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Calm down, you're not making money from it 😀

Try playmidi or gsplay with a midi file. Google for MT32 specific MIDI players and MID files, like music from Willy Beamish (Try this link).

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Btw, you do not need to connect the MT32's MIDI OUT to anything.

Also, are you sure your AWE64 is configured correctly? I don't have one to check/test, but you have to verify if the MPU-401 interface is connected correctly (ports, IRQ) be sure that the games are configured for the same port. For best compatibility, use port 330. I don't remember if the AWE provides a separate IRQ for the MPU, but if it does, use IRQ 2 or 9. Is your sound card PnP or configured through jumpers? Posting your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT might help as well.

Reply 9 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think for a PII it make no sense to hook-up an MT-32.
General-Midi with the AWE64 should be the better option.

I do not have any test made with an AWE64 with a hooked-up MT32 and the soft-MPU,
but I think it is way better to do:

- Set the AWE64 to Midi 300
- Put in an MPU-401i Card and jumper it to IRQ2/330
- Hook the MT32 on the Midicard

everything will be fine 😀

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 10 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Niezgodka wrote:

I know it is annoying, but I have no luck with my mt32. I hope it is not broken.
I have Pentium 2, with dos 7.10 and Awe 64 gold. I hooked it MT32. I have AWE64 configured in Autoexec.

Maybe someone can spot a problem if you list the lines in your autoexec.bat file.
Maybe your problem is something like this
AWE32 / AWE64 : Use external midi in Windows 95 dos session

I've never used my MT-32 with a vintage computer.
I connect it to a Windows 7 computer using a USB-to-midi cable and play the games in DOSBox.