VOGONS

AWE 32 price spike on E-bay?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 60, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just because somebody asks for $100, doesn't mean they will get it. If you look at completed listings, I don't think any of them sold for all that much.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 60, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Just because somebody asks for $100, doesn't mean they will get it. If you look at completed listings, I don't think any of them sold for all that much.

I love the "Best Offer" feature of ebay. Someone wants $400 for a stupid 386 motherboard? Best offer for $25 shipped....ACCEPTED!

😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 22 of 60, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dogchainx wrote:

I love the "Best Offer" feature of ebay. Someone wants $400 for a stupid 386 motherboard? Best offer for $25 shipped....ACCEPTED!

😎

🤣 That's funny.

I had a different experience.

BIN 49. Best offer 40 => Rejected 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 23 of 60, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To me, the AWE64 is far more attractive, for several reasons:

• Compact form factor
  • Rather clean output
  • New DSP and no hanging note bug (although I never noticed it much personally on old SB cards)
  • The ability to use standard RAM for expansion is not appealing as I use it 99% of the time to play DOS games anyway, where it's not really relevant
  • Although no AWE64 has "true OPL", its CQM implementation is a rather good one, and sounds close enough / good enough to be a non-issue (with the possible exceptions of some games that may rely very heavily on the specific Yamaha implementation; apparently I don't play such games)

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 60, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I bought my CT3900 from a local private seller earlier this year. Won an auction on eBay for a Sidewinder FFB Pro and went to pick it up, seller says he has some other junk that I might be interested in. Got a generic Trio card, an 8MB Voodoo2 and the CT3900 for €20!

No idea they're worth so much now. Might have to keep an eye on prices on eBay to see if it's worth selling. As much as I love the CT3900, I already have an AWE64 Gold which I would gladly use instead if the price is right.

Reply 25 of 60, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wake up early => Take a nice morning walk to flea market => CT3900 newer mixer + SCB-55 for 3 euro => Satisfaction mentally, physically and wallet wise

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 26 of 60, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Wake up early => Take a nice morning walk to flea market => CT3900 newer mixer + SCB-55 for 3 euro => Satisfaction mentally, physically and wallet wise

Continued story.......=> sell SCB-55 to Dogchainx in the USA for a pretty penny and make $$$$ => Dogchainx reads this and weeps.

Just kidding. Thanks for the SCB-55! 🤣 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 27 of 60, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣

Trough experience people come to a conclusion, its always more rewarding to gain things with your own hands.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 28 of 60, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Yeah.... They are roughly the same price as or just a bit more expensive than GUS.

This effectively surprised me a few times in the last months. I thought GUS was rarer than AWE32s, but I might have been mistaken?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 29 of 60, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexter311 wrote:

No idea they're worth so much now. Might have to keep an eye on prices on eBay to see if it's worth selling. As much as I love the CT3900, I already have an AWE64 Gold which I would gladly use instead if the price is right.

I would keep the AWE32 as a backup. If your AWE64 should one day fail, then you have the AWE32.

Reply 30 of 60, by jhl2600

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ExTneicsol wrote:

They're not that rare ... it's the retro-gaming thing that is driving the people crazy ...

I know and it's pretty upsetting. Not to say I don't want more people to get into retrocomputing, but I liked my quiet hobby built around computer tat no one wanted. Now it's all popular and it seems if something has a circuit board and is older than a decade then it's worth its weight in gold to people who have no idea what it even is, they only know it's "retro". If they knew what the rubbish they're inflating the prices for actually was and was worth, there wouldn't be a problem. I see auctions on eBay, actual auctions starting at $0.99 (not just questionable resellers setting ridiculous BiN's) for things like 48k spectrums, broken Amigas and NESes, C64's with out power cords, going up to $40-$50, you just have to wonder. For some reason PC-compatibles have been really affected by this too, if you look people are selling random 286/386 machines for hundreds of dollars. I could find a pallet of the kind of run-of-the-mill computers they think are priceless in a day or two of shopping at thriftshops and industrial surplus stores. Oh well, who am I to tell people how they spend their money. I'm sure the bubble will burst eventually.

I've had my system running - I'll admit it's not the best
The data isn't right, and the response time is a mess
It crashes every hour, and it isn't worth a damn,
But I'm satisfied because it runs just like an IBM!

Reply 31 of 60, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jhl2600 wrote:

I'm sure the bubble will burst eventually.

I wish it will ... here in Canada, thrift shop ship to garbage old computer store and recycling center dont let us take what we want ... i've got no other choice than EBAY ... and i hate the news retro thing trend ...

It's been 2 years i'm building my retro dos/win95 computer ... i just got and 5.25 fdd last month ... at least i could confort myself in the fact that i buy most of my old computer collection before this news trend happen ...

Reply 32 of 60, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah... One thing that strikes me, is that a lot of young ones on youtube, that are showing off some retro thingy.
They do not even care for static electricity. They are wearing nylon clothes and putting cards on nylon carpets.
I think they don't really grasp the concept of computer parts, isa/pci/agp cards and static electricity.
They should stick to consoles instead of just torturing lovely hardware like that. And we have to compete against
that sort of people, that are careless. Prices are going up, and I see people doing this.
And they are exactly a reason amoungst many, why prices are going up. No way I will sell to these kind of people.
They remind me of such people that will use anything, just as long as it is labeled "Retro", and not for what it is.

In the future, I will make shure that whatever I sell, will be for those who apreciate, and love hardware.
True collectors in other words, that will take care of and handle old stuff with respect.
Speaking in other words... Letting stuff keep the good price within the community, amoungst serious persons.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 33 of 60, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

I would keep the AWE32 as a backup. If your AWE64 should one day fail, then you have the AWE32.

And besides... It's cool to have such a card to show off. I too have a CT3900 wich is pretty long. Thus totally cool to look at.
Then I have my first AWE32 (CT2760), wich died spontaniously. Still have it. Just to show off how long soundcard's could
have been in the past. People just don't believe their eyes every time I throw the 2760 on the table in front of them. 😁 😁
That's just really a fun thing to be able to do.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 34 of 60, by jhl2600

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:

They do not even care for static electricity. They are wearing nylon clothes and putting cards on nylon carpets.
I think they don't really grasp the concept of computer parts, isa/pci/agp cards and static electricity.

I think their frame of reference is for modern parts which are a little less sensitive to static in my experience. (I still wouldn't go around laying them around in dry air on static inducing surfaces)

Hell, I take every precaution and I still get things that static damaged. I transported some old cards in boxes packed with supposedly anti-static material maybe 10 miles to a new apartment and one of them got static damaged.

I've seen people on YouTube knocking around parts, hitting them together on an ungrounded surface, makes me cringe. I wish I could dig up this video I saw where this guy was assembling a "retro" rig and wasn't wearing an ESD bracelet or anything, he was doing it on this table with a cloth tablecloth. He even touched one of the cards on a chip while was putting it in. Surprise when he had it all together it didn't work and he had the nerve to blame the people who shipped it to him. He wasn't a young person either, he must've been at least 30. People are just clueless sometimes.

I've had my system running - I'll admit it's not the best
The data isn't right, and the response time is a mess
It crashes every hour, and it isn't worth a damn,
But I'm satisfied because it runs just like an IBM!

Reply 35 of 60, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cotton tablecloth = static city. At least I build my systems on wooden tables.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 36 of 60, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

And besides... It's cool to have such a card to show off. I too have a CT3900 wich is pretty long. Thus totally cool to look at.
Then I have my first AWE32 (CT2760), wich died spontaniously. Still have it. Just to show off how long soundcard's could
have been in the past.

Interesting how different people often value diametrically opposite things. I can't stand long cards. That's one of the reasons I hate all high-end video cards with passion. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 37 of 60, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going a little off topic with the static exchange here. I think people advocate a paranoid level of precaution against static electricity; never had anything damaged in 15 years, and I've never used a bracelet or gone out of my way to look for special surfaces. Definitely touch the case or another ground regularly to stay safe.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 38 of 60, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also haven't ever lost anything to static.

The science behind it is complicated anyway and there is evidence to suggest bracelets and mats can actually make it more likely to do damage.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 39 of 60, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Theirs no perfect EMU8000 card but they're close enough, for choice of genuine OPL3 or Bug free General MIDI its one or the other but not both, I think of the SB/AWE32/AWE64 as a general midi era tech so going without the real yamaha chip is no big deal, I cant tell the difference on my SB32 3670.