VOGONS

Quieter, newer, fans?

Topic actions

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking for quieter case fans - historically I've had good luck with Vantec, Antec, and Panaflo, and more recently with Silverstone, but a recent perusal of ebay/Amazon/etc reveals tons of brands I've largely never dealt with (or in some cases even seen) before. Like Noctua, Gelid, Silenx, Corsair, be quiet!, Nexus, etc. Is there any advantage/improvement to these "newcomers" or should I just stick with what I know to work? Any experiences/opinions/etc certainly welcome - I'm honestly content ignoring progress and sticking with what has worked in the past, but if there's some "big deal" that I'm missing, I'd at least like to know what I'm thumbing my nose at in doing so. 🤣

Thanks for any info. 😀

Reply 2 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "best" fans I found are the ones that have rubber anti-vibration mounts. Arctic cooling does fans like that, others have rubber thingies that are used instead of the screws. It reduced the vibration going from the fan to the case. Makes the biggest difference IMO.

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/arctic-f12-pro-pwm.html

This is my favourite. It daisy chains from the CPU header. So if the CPU fan spins down, so do the case fans. Works really well.

For existing fans you can get something like this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page … 30255&cPath=849

Others come with them as a kit:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page … 14506&cPath=598

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 15, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ADDA fans are great too, my favorite for price/performance.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded the entire fan test database from Hardware.info once and dropped it in excel to compare SPL vs air flow. In the 140mm fan range, Antec TrueQuiet came out best IIRC.

edit: I meant 140mm

Last edited by jwt27 on 2015-07-03, 19:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 15, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much money do you have to buy them?
Do you prefer performance, quality or level of noise?
Do you need fans for home-use or for liquid cooling? Led fans or standard?
Anyway if I were you, I would see Schyte Glide stream good quality and price
If you need more performance, you need to see Akasa Apache Black very good incredible quality and low level of noise but they cost a little bit more.
In the same time even noctua made good fans but we need more information to help you 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you're trying to cool a high end system you can probably get away with some low RPM silent fans rather than going for performance. I have a few Evercool Green 120mm fans that are absolutely silent.

Reply 7 of 15, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had lots of brands. Coolermaster quiet fans are not quiet at all... Whenever i go silent i can only think of how nice Noiseblocker fans are. Good price too. Nexus is another good brand.

Reply 8 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

Whenever i go silent i can only think of how nice Noiseblocker fans are.

Just checked my airflow/dB comparison sheet again: Noiseblocker eLoop 1300 and 1500rpm, and Multiframe M12-II came out on top in the 120mm fans. Scythe Slipstream 500rpm at 12V is good too, if you're aiming for absolute silence. Antec TrueQuiet was the best 140mm fan.

Reply 9 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
The "best" fans I found are the ones that have rubber anti-vibration mounts. Arctic cooling does fans like that, others have rub […]
Show full quote

The "best" fans I found are the ones that have rubber anti-vibration mounts. Arctic cooling does fans like that, others have rubber thingies that are used instead of the screws. It reduced the vibration going from the fan to the case. Makes the biggest difference IMO.

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/arctic-f12-pro-pwm.html

This is my favourite. It daisy chains from the CPU header. So if the CPU fan spins down, so do the case fans. Works really well.

For existing fans you can get something like this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page … 30255&cPath=849

Others come with them as a kit:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page … 14506&cPath=598

I've never tried the "stand-alone" Arctic fans, but I've liked their heatsinks for graphics cards and my 939 systems. 😀

I'm well used to using those rubber things - a lot of my systems have them, but wasn't aware they could be bought stand-alone; will have to look into that for other systems. 😎

Thanks all for the other suggestions - I'll look at Noiseblocker, Nexus, etc then - see how they compare to the Vantec, Antec, and Panaflo fans at the same size. As far as what I'm cooling - there isn't a specific machine in mind, I'm asking more broadly in terms of "has the state of the art advanced in ten years" as I come upon needing to replace fans in systems, complete new builds, and so forth. So having general suggestions or places to look is very helpful. 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arctic cooling F series is nice when it comes to budget fans.

When it comes to high-end performance fans, I prefer Enermax T.B. Silence. They are extremely quiet and draw as much air as a good vacuum cleaner 😀
tb-silence-pwm_10.jpg

Reply 11 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took jwt27's idea of using a spreadsheet to compare models (at least based on published specifications - for however far you can throw those), for a 92mm fan (the size I'm currently shopping for), none of the "new fangled" brands (e.g. Noctua/Nanoxia/SilenX/etc) seem to be offering significantly better performance than something like Vantec, but in many cases are doing so at higher prices.

I also went to hardware.info to see what they had to say, and found this:
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/2614/8/393-80 … ewed-92-mm-fans

Lots of makers I don't recognize or have never seen before, but its certainly interesting to have additional data available.

Reply 12 of 15, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scythe Gentle Typhoons are great also.

Reply 13 of 15, by Zenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Scythe Gentle Typhoons are great also.

True but probably "wasted" if used as case fans. Their common uses were as heatsink/rad fans, where their high static pressure and low noise made them highly popular for that purpose.

Can consider Scythe Slipstreams as case fans if not used behind restrictive air filters.

Reply 14 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
I took jwt27's idea of using a spreadsheet to compare models (at least based on published specifications - for however far you c […]
Show full quote

I took jwt27's idea of using a spreadsheet to compare models (at least based on published specifications - for however far you can throw those), for a 92mm fan (the size I'm currently shopping for), none of the "new fangled" brands (e.g. Noctua/Nanoxia/SilenX/etc) seem to be offering significantly better performance than something like Vantec, but in many cases are doing so at higher prices.

I also went to hardware.info to see what they had to say, and found this:
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/2614/8/393-80 … ewed-92-mm-fans

Lots of makers I don't recognize or have never seen before, but its certainly interesting to have additional data available.

Main reason I used a spreadsheet is because hardware.info had a "cfm per dB" measurement in their reviews, which is completely meaningless since cfm is a linear unit and dB is logarithmic. I converted the dBs to linear units so the comparison makes sense. (not actually Pa but more like a "loudness level" where +10dB = approx twice as loud)

Now I have no idea how accurate their test methods are, but assuming all these fans were tested exactly in the same way, I think this makes a fair comparison. See attached spreadsheet 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my builds right now I have:

- Noctuas in my server. Three NF-F12s in the front to pump through the hard drives (good static pressure), a NH-L9i CPU cooler and a NF-S12A on the exhaust for airflow. All I can hear from the server now is HDD noise, these fans are really quiet.
- A Silverstone Air Penetrator 180mm fan in the front of my TJ08-E case. This thing is a monster, but I had to turn it down a bit with a Zalman FanMate 2 to get it to any sort of quietness. Still flows a TON of air even at reduced speed.
- Be Quiet! stuff in the TJ08-E to go with the Air Penetrator. I think these are even quieter than the Noctuas. I have a Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler with the SilentWings 2 fan on it, and a 120mm SilentWings 2 fan in the exhaust. Really happy with the performance of these.
- Arctic Cooling fans in my HTPC. I got 3x 120mm F12 PWM fans for that, and like the Silverstone, I had to turn them down quite a bit to make them silent. They do the job though, but they aren't anywhere near as good as my Noctuas or the Be Quiet! fans. They're good for the price though.