VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted an extra spare voodoo3 3000 agp and when i saw this boxed one i thought it would be a nice addition to the few 3dfx boxes i have.

I always use my hardware but this one is compleately sealed and even has these ''ribbons'' around the box. Now, i REALLY want to open the box just to see if the card works and i usually don't care about sealed boxes anyway but because of these ribbons i have some doubts 🤣 Is this rare?

I didn't pay crazy money for this thing so nothing is lost when i open it up. Any thoughts?

Can these boxes be resealed? Not that i want to do that but i mean how can you be sure everything is there?

3Dfx made some NICE boxes, that's for sure!

Attachments

• 20150704_180938.jpg
    Filename
    20150704_180938.jpg
    File size
    2.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah, didn't even notice it.... yes it has a barcode sticker on the plastic with the text 3dfx voodoo 3 3000 agp. Thanx, should be real then.

Reply 3 of 13, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK retail stores would do this to prevent customers from opening the box and sneaking the card out the side.
This is before the advent of lockboxes and spiderwraps used in modern retail.

Reply 4 of 13, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's enough unopened voodoo 3 boxes out there to last for the next 100 years. A documentary was done on some Scandinavian fellow who had this unnatural addiction to 3dfx boxes where his entire house was filled with them from floor to ceiling-- and he'd periodically re-organize and move them around. All sealed too, he didn't use them...

Reply 5 of 13, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:

There's enough unopened voodoo 3 boxes out there to last for the next 100 years. A documentary was done on some Scandinavian fellow who had this unnatural addiction to 3dfx boxes where his entire house was filled with them from floor to ceiling-- and he'd periodically re-organize and move them around. All sealed too, he didn't use them...

I wish I had an unopened 3dfx box 🙁

Can you please tell us where we can find that documentary?
What was it called?
This is really fascinating!

Reply 6 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 those blue straps are probably either some crude anti-theft device or for shipping purposes (I've seen some packages from Amazon even today come strapped like that - I guess it supports the box from deforming or something). I've worked with the machines that put them on before, but I haven't the foggiest where you'd find someone to re-add those if you wanted to, but they aren't terribly expensive or exotic.

Reply 8 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold wrote:

You mean NitroxInfinity? he is Dutch btw 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 13, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
raymangold wrote:

You mean NitroxInfinity? he is Dutch btw 😉

Is the documentary an article or a video?
Is it on youtube?

Reply 10 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a video from a Dutch TV program about collectors of different stuff. It's on Youtube.
raymangold made it sound much more crazy than it really is. The video is much more down to earth.

Now we just need Artex on some show with his collection 🤣

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nitrox had a collection around 220 cards or so, so yes, it was pretty big but no, he didn't fill his house with them 🤣

Don't know if he still has them, he had some auctions recently (prices were high so maybe he still has most of them)

Reply 12 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Nitrox had a collection around 220 cards or so, so yes, it was pretty big but no, he didn't fill his house with them 🤣

Don't know if he still has them, he had some auctions recently (prices were high so maybe he still has most of them)

Yeah, he did have a few bundles up for auction on falconfly.de earlier this year. One was specific to Quantum3D cards and the other had a bunch of misc. 3DFX cards - some sealed, others not. Both auctions ended with no sales and I haven't seen any further postings.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 13 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the best way to get the most money for his cards is ebay and sell them separately. After a long period and 220 auctions he could very well have his 10.000 euro

It is a nice collection but to sell 20 cards in a bundle for a good price is not an easy task.

I have been searching for the biggest collections of 3dfx stuff in the past and his always popped up. There are some people who have more and on top of that multiple v5 6000 cards..... 😢

Anyway, i will unpack the voodoo3 and see if it works 😎