VOGONS

First post, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why yes, this is my second time posting a thread of this type. 🤣 I'm looking for a different case this time, but I don't anticipate it being any easier than my last search, because the particular case I'm looking for this time is, as far as I can remember, so generic that it didn't even have a name.

I'm planning to recreate my first ever custom system, which I built back in 2002. Thus, just like with my Dream 486 rebuild, I'm looking for the same style of case, like this:

20040602_dsc_0083.jpg

Cruddy picture is cruddy. The power and reset buttons are octagon-shaped, and the decor on the front of the case is a bluish-purple. The MSI case badge is not original, it is from a later motherboard upgrade and did not come with the case.

Does this look familiar to anyone? If I can't find someone who has one, I'd at least like to try to determine the manufacturer so I can maybe find it online somewhere.

Last edited by torindkflt on 2015-07-14, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a really interesting unique looking machine. Hope someone can help.

The stickers are going to be hard to find, may need to repro. 🤣

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, the case badge is from a later upgrade I did to this system, and since I'm wanting to recreate it in a "when it was first built" state, the case badge won't be necessary. 😀 As for the others, they're just labels from my label maker. 🤣

The silver circles are also a creation of my own and didn't originally come with the case. It was a crude hardware boot selector switch built from a couple old keylock switches salvaged from some AT cases. The system had two hard drives, and the switches plugged into the jumpers on both drives. Turning both keys would change which drive was designated master, thus allowing me to select which OS would boot (At the time, Windows 2000 or Slackware Linux) without using a software bootloader. I could even "lock" the computer by flipping only one of the switches, which would set both drives to the same setting and prevent the system from booting. It was actually pretty nifty. 😊

Reply 3 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

Actually, the case badge is from a later upgrade I did to this system, and since I'm wanting to recreate it in a "when it was first built" state, the case badge won't be necessary. 😀 As for the others, they're just labels from my label maker. 🤣

The silver circles are also a creation of my own and didn't originally come with the case. It was a crude hardware boot selector switch built from a couple old keylock switches salvaged from some AT cases. The system had two hard drives, and the switches plugged into the jumpers on both drives. Turning both keys would change which drive was designated master, thus allowing me to select which OS would boot (At the time, Windows 2000 or Slackware Linux) without using a software bootloader. I could even "lock" the computer by flipping only one of the switches, which would set both drives to the same setting and prevent the system from booting. It was actually pretty nifty. 😊

Do you have the case? If so, pop the front open and tell me the markings. I might be able to find something. Be warned though, the markings are written using the case's plastic, so just point the lower part of the front panel to a good light source. It should say the model (e.g JNC RJA-8673 in my case)

(at least I did this in case of my "Human" case, it traced back to Deer Computer Co. LTD, same for my black case with temp sensors which traced to JNC Computer Co., a division of Deer)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I no longer have the case. This system ultimately got salvaged for parts to build another computer, and the case ended up getting scrapped after a failed attempt to use it to build a homemade Smoothwall router. Alas, this was nine years ago.

Reply 5 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

Unfortunately I no longer have the case. This system ultimately got salvaged for parts to build another computer, and the case ended up getting scrapped after a failed attempt to use it to build a homemade Smoothwall router. Alas, this was nine years ago.

Well, dunno what could you do then. If only you kept the front panel, I would have been able to help, but if not then I don't know. I quite am in the same situation with my old case (the one in this thread Need help in finding this PC case ) but I'll check it too. I guess this is the only picture of the case? If not, post more.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 6 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the only other picture I have of that case, from 2006 when I tried (unsuccessfully) to use it to build a computer running Smoothwall. I had laid it on its side to fit on a shelf in a closet and modded it so the buttons and LEDs were on the back here.

20060614_HPIM0563.JPG

You can see it's the type where the PSU hangs vertically and overlaps the motherboard. Otherwise, there's really nothing on the back to identify any potential manufacturer.

Reply 7 of 8, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case badge looks almost like the old MSI logo. Could it be that?

Reply 8 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That case badge is from a later upgrade when I replaced the motherboard. It did not originally come with the case.