Would you buy modified hardware? (5999)

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the mass opinion on this topic?
Due to old age and scarcity in certain regions hardware can mostly be obtained in flawed state. If some one would modify it and replace certain portions would you consider buying that hardware for your self?
For example, replacing capacitors on sound cards for better ones, or OP-Amps.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really. New coolers would be the only modded thing I would accept.
Else I would gladly accept replaced caps. Only if they were original rating's.
I like my hardware as factory-original as possible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really depends. Thing is when I want a sound card, then I want the sound of that sound card, with all its good and bad sided, and not a "improved" sound card as someone else saw fit.

Caps on a motherboard though, that's fine. A lot of work to do it yourself.

But either way, a modified product in my eyes knocks of value. It's just not the same any more.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 23, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, why not. If you don't like it you can always modify it again.

Reply 4 of 23, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like my hardware in working order without bloated caps and such so the answer is yes I guess.

I do not really care if the replacement parts have the same specs as the original as long as they work as good or better. Replacing low grade caps with audio grade caps on sound cards or poly modding motherboards is fine in my book as long as everything works.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

It really depends. Thing is when I want a sound card, then I want the sound of that sound card, with all its good and bad sided, and not a "improved" sound card as someone else saw fit.

Caps on a motherboard though, that's fine. A lot of work to do it yourself.

But either way, a modified product in my eyes knocks of value. It's just not the same any more.

Recapping a board is actually fun for me. I consider it as a somewhat direct hands on retro activity.
You know... Repairing it on a real basic level, and not only buying a new piece.
If it can be made to work, then its a joy to me, if not. Well... Then I go out and buy a replacement part.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 23, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sooner or latter clones and remakes will take over as interest for this hobby grows and parts diminish.
It is in every ones best to document modifications to malfunctioning hardware in order to keep the fun rolling for every one 😀

Of course original will always hold price, it is something long lost and abandoned. But realistically not every one can own everything nor be an collector. Hoarding everything and never using it is not fun.

In the end to most people it comes down to compatibility and I believe many would enjoy an higher fidelity experience. Not just in terms of sound cards, but also replacing passives in other components so they function longer. Having fun is what should matter in the long run.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 7 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Recapping a board is actually fun for me. I consider it as a somewhat direct hands on retro activity.
You know... Repairing it on a real basic level, and not only buying a new piece.
If it can be made to work, then its a joy to me, if not. Well... Then I go out and buy a replacement part.

True. It feels great when you repaired something and see it working again, or not crashing anymore 🤣

I find the task of getting all the caps very tedious. At some stage all boards need to be repaired. I mean caps will eventually cause issues?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 23, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All capacitors will eventually fail. Yesterday I booted up a full-sized 386DX-25 board thats full of tantalum capacitors that has been sitting on the shelf for three years, ever since I started back into retro computing. This thing is really old-school, first 386 16/25/33MHz boards with the early AMI BIOS and 35ns cache. I remember it booted up numerous times just fine. This boot, three years later...nope. One of the tantalum capacitors lit up like a match! I found a little higher-rated capacitor and soldered it in. Now it works great, though a little scorched from the awesomely failed capacitor.

As far as modified hardware...Yeah, i would...depending upon rarity, what was modified, etc. If its a Gravis Ultrasound that needs something resoldered or a trace repaired, yes. I'd buy it.

If its poorly hacked-together motherboard with a bunch of trace wires all over the place.....hmm....probably no. I had one motherboard where the AT keyboard connector had a bunch of resistors soldered and connected to AT power connectors (ground) on the bottom of the board. That thing was the worst motherboard for stability...

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 9 of 23, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. When it breaks I throw it out.

Reply 10 of 23, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Only if it's an absolute necessity and no other alternative was available. Otherwise I'll look elsewhere.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 11 of 23, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't mind if the hardware is modified or altered, as long as the price is fairly adjusted for this. I have no problem with modifications if they improve the reliability or cooling of the product. I mean, let's be honest not everything from back in the day was well designed and thought out.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 12 of 23, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What is the mass opinion on this topic?
Due to old age and scarcity in certain regions hardware can mostly be obtained in flawed state. If some one would modify it and replace certain portions would you consider buying that hardware for your self?
For example, replacing capacitors on sound cards for better ones, or OP-Amps.

I have no problem with mods when they're useful improvements.
Replacing caps to make the hardware functional would be useful.
I've also read about Creative sound cards where Creative used cheap parts that didn't meet the design spec, and the mod replaces those parts with those that do meet spec. That would also be a good mod.

Reply 13 of 23, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not collecting, I'm buying parts to use them or as spares for existing machines. So, why not? As long as it works, yes I would buy (or sometimes even prefer) modified ones. I use the word "modified" as in "refurbished, repaired, etc." like recapped and such. And no, I have no patience for any extravagant "cooler" mods. I generally pass them.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 23, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Absolutely.

I'm not building authentic looking riceboxes most of the time and nobody's ever gonna look under the hood so what other's can't see I have free will to do whatever I want.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 15 of 23, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you consider as "modified"?

My first computer was an 8 bit computer (Sinclair ZX Spectrum +), like most of my collection. When it was build, it had some components (axial capacitors, 7805 voltage regulator, 4116 RAM chips, the ULA chip) that now are rare. There are some Spectrums fitted with more modern capacitors, some have replaced 7805 with other voltage regulators and others have replaced the 4116 chips (that use +5v, -5v and +12v) with other chips that use only +5v. Even some computers with defective ULAs (it was a sinclair custom chip) have been modded to repair some failures.

My ZX Spectrum now has a composite video mod (because it had RF video output and modern TVs often do not pick that signal correctly), and I'm going to put a little heatsink on the ULA to extend its lifetime. Do I consider it as modding? Well, I think about that like repairs and maintenance needed to keep it running. If I don't do some mods, it will became a retro paperweight.

Some might apply to some modding made on other computers (enabling RGB or composite video output on RF computers, RAM changes, etc), and I have no problem with buying repaired/modded computers. I have a few exceptions like external changes (like replacing original keyboard with custom keyboards). And, of course, I would not buy anything with mods made to overclock the computer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 23, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Modified=Repaired or Enhanced hardware?
If it's a hard to obtain item it would be preferable to keep in an original condition as possible.
If it's modding a soundcard with better parts it all depends on how far one goes.
Replacing some bad parts on a motherboard is just fine.
Game consoles which have been modded I would not purchase, as I like to do that myself!

Reply 17 of 23, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This forum has always thrown me for a loop when it came to this. I have often considered taking common cards like the SB16 ISA and the SbLive!, and upgrading them to be like my own or better, and reselling them, but so many people want it to have the original tone that this is a deterrent to them.

I always thought this was crazy because the cheap electrolytics which Creative used are like a handicap that doesn't allow you to hear the full potential of the Creative DSP's. And unless, you have some sort of God-like memory, how would you remember what the original tone of an SB16 was? It certainly doesn't retain that sound, now that the caps are ancient.

Reply 18 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm totally fine with modifications as long as they're not balantly destructive to any part of the hardware's features. If anything I'd probably pay a little more for items with properly done recaps, improved cooling, flashed BIOS'es, even added jumpers, A/V connections, etc. With Op-amps specifically, I think the proper way to do this is to solder in a socket and let the user choose between original or other types, as that stuff is all voodoo.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 19 of 23, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends. Unless it is screwed up, I would probably accept modifications.
If it's something common, I would look for something unmodded unless it is a common fix.