VOGONS

My new favorite DirectX 7.0 video card

Topic actions

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found my new favorite DirectX 7.0 video card while testing my new BX / PIII 850 build.

I tested Serious Sam the First Encounter, Quake 2 and Quake 3 at 1280x1024 high quality settings and the following cards. GeForce2 MX 400 128bit, Geforce4 MX 440 8x 64bit, GeForce FX 5200 64bit, GeForce FX 5200 128bit, Quadro4 700 XGL (Ti 4200), Quadro4 380 XGL (MX 440 8X 128bit) and a Quadro FX 3000 (FX 5900) just to make sure I was CPU bound and I was of course. I also tested a Voodoo3 3500 for comparison and it was easily beaten in all tests of course. The favorite of the bunch? The Quadro4 380 XGL!

Not surprising at all since it is a GeForce4 MX 440 8x 128bit card. I don't have the 128bit version of that card and here is why I like the Quadro4 better. You cannot make a mistake buying one! There isn't a 4x and a 8x version. There isn't a 64mb and a 128mb version. There isn't a 64bit and a 128bit version. There is only the Quadro4 380 XGL with its DirectX 7.0 compatibility, 64MB RAM, 128bit memory bus, 275 core clock, 513 DDR RAM clock and 8.2GB's of memory bandwidth. It will have good build quality also. The only thing I feel that it needs is a cooling fan and that is easy enough to fix. At my low CPU speed it was able to keep up with the Quadro4 700 XGL while drawing about 10-15 Watts less power (eyeballing my power meter).

I compared the same cards in a much faster system and it was only then that the faster cards started really whooping up on the lowly Quadro4 380 XGL. Of course in a faster system you would want something with higher DirectX support.

It was able to push 45 frames-per-second in Serious Sam the First Encounter at 1280x1024, 32bit color, quality settings on the multiplayer map2 demo ( a lot more with faster CPU, about double if I remember correctly). I am impressed. Of course it stomped Quake 2 and 3 into the dirt and gave them no mercy.

So, for my SE440BX-2/PIII 850-MHz build this card rocks!

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 61, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are aware the gf4mx is really a geforce 2 and doesnt support shaders

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is a greatly improved GeForce2 core and hence DirectX 7. I am not trying to run anything greater than DirectX 7 / OpenGL 1.4.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 61, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good deal. I like Quadros. Better quality and sometimes you can even get them cheaper than Geforces, because most people don't search for them or know what the models are.

Reply 4 of 61, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know. Might have to check out the Quadro stuff sometime.

What about the Quadro4 580 XGL? Looks like the same chip clocked higher. Probably the sister to MX460. Looks a little wonky, though, and memory is a bit slower.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have the game. Can you please tell me how it performs on NFS-Porche2000?
I have seen a lot of cards that simply won't run this game at all or simply just have gfx issues of some sort.
FX-5XXX series of Geforces as an example.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

brostenen,

Hey I even found a demo for that game. I'll try to post a few screen shots tomorrow. Any special requests for settings?

Windows 98 SE

Reply 7 of 61, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably need to adjust Texel Alignment (texel origin adjustment) to get things just right in Porsche and a few other games. It's a problem nVidia cards had from TNT up to GFFX and on. Starting with the GF3 chips they changed things so it fixed some problems and caused new ones, and wouldn't offer a setting to adjust it anymore. The problem shows as weird tiling in textures and glitches in text. Many games had patches released for them.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squareguy wrote:

brostenen,

Hey I even found a demo for that game. I'll try to post a few screen shots tomorrow. Any special requests for settings?

Mostly what you will notice.
The game has some menu issues on "new" cards. Were writings or text are fuzzy and blurry.
Else. The hand that changes gears when looking at the driver, just goes haywire.
Like he is dancing or something. And not driving.

This is actually one of my tests, when building a retro rig for Win98.
Can it run NFS-2k or can it not, without any issues.
If not. Then it's not a real Win98 machine in my eyes.
Performance is not as important. As long as the game are playable at 640x480x16
Then the machine is ok enough.

Reply 9 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

You probably need to adjust Texel Alignment (texel origin adjustment) to get things just right in Porsche and a few other games. It's a problem nVidia cards had from TNT up to GFFX and on. Starting with the GF3 chips they changed things so it fixed some problems and caused new ones, and wouldn't offer a setting to adjust it anymore. The problem shows as weird tiling in textures and glitches in text. Many games had patches released for them.

Still.... Can it run NFS-2k? (change to Crysis when machine more powerfull)

Reply 10 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My idea for a Quadro cooler is a thin piece of sheet metal with 3 punched holes that correspond to the three holes in the video card's PCB and a 80mm fan/screw holes. I would use 3 nylon bushings with nylon nuts, bolts and washers to fasten it above the video card. I would mount a 80mm x 15mm low-speed cooling fan with screws onto the shroud. Seems like a logical solution.

Don't laugh at my drawing skills;) EDIT: I meant to round off the corners on the shroud, oops.

Quadro Cooler.png

EDIT: Ok, here it is with rounded corners and superimposed over simplified video card.

Quadro Cooler2.png

Windows 98 SE

Reply 11 of 61, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
firage wrote:

Still.... Can it run NFS-2k? (change to Crysis when machine more powerfull)

It's a fine yardstick; this issue is why I don't use newer graphics cards in the Win9x machine. GF4MX works fine and I don't think the Quadro does anything differently. If it's needed, and the driver version doesn't offer Texel Alignment under D3D settings, RivaTuner should take care of it with the equivalent options.

NFS: High Stakes, X-Wing Alliance, Final Fantasy VII/VIII, Falcon 4.0, No One Lives Forever, Darkstone are some other similarly problematic games.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are a few screenshots, I think it looked better ingame.

Unleashed00.jpg
Unleashed01.jpg
Unleashed02.jpg

Windows 98 SE

Reply 13 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice...
Looks like my p3-500 1999 pure machine (every single arts from 99).
What about the game menu? Do the text stand out 100% clear and sharp?
Do the gearshifter hand make some sort of spastiv movements when shifting gear?

Reply 14 of 61, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lack of dithering is concerning. 🙁 Do Quadros not have that?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

leileilol,

Well I threw a hail mary and I think I got a decent screenshot this time. The originals were ingame using builtin games screenshot and it saved them as tga's which i converted with gimp. Fortunately print screen did grab it and i pasted it into paint and saved directly as a bmp but then had to convert to png since board doesnt allow bmp's. Looks much better.

nfs.png

Windows 98 SE

Reply 16 of 61, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The card has DVI as well? Nice 😀

There are a ton available, but shipping is always the tricky part here in Australia.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-07-23, 00:16. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 61, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

Good deal. I like Quadros. Better quality and sometimes you can even get them cheaper than Geforces, because most people don't search for them or know what the models are.

That quality comes at a price. Quadros are optimized for precision, just like FireGL cards on the Radeon side. If there's supposed to be a pixel of a certain color in a certain place on the screen, then that's what you get, with no variation.They aren't optimized for high framerates in games. In games, precise placement and coloration of pixels is less important because the pixels are constantly being updated at high speed so it's hard to notice any particular one misbehaving especially on larger screens. Graphics professionals cannot afford to have unruly pixels on screen which is why they use professional grade cards like Quadro and FireGL even though they may use the same graphics core as a Geforce or Radeon.

philscomputerlab wrote:

The card has DVI as well? Nice 😀

I picked up a GF4MX 460 a while back and it has a DVI port on it, too.

Reply 18 of 61, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK the difference is all in the drivers.

I remember modding some Radeon card, a 9700 maybe. You removed a resistor and BAM it was a Fire GL card 😀

You can force the GeForce driver onto a Quadro. You can likely also flash the BIOS but I haven't tried any of this yet.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 61, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the old Quadros (the ones I use) all you have to do is use the GeForce drivers instead of the ones for say AutoCad. The newer ones are different from what little I understand. You don't even have to force the GeForce drivers on the old ones, they just load. The little bit of becnhmarking I have done suggests there is zero performance hit in games on the old ones using GeForce drivers. I usually use 45.23.

EDIT: actually a Quadro4 380 XGL (NV18GL) will beat a GeForce4 MX 440 (NV18) due to a whopping 0.2 GBps memory bandwidth increase 🤣. Miniscule I know but I'm not buying Quadros for the speed.

Windows 98 SE