VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this card as a v3 2000 pci. It does not have ramchips at the front but four on the back (why?).
It is a strange card and i can't even find pictures of it online....

I bought it for my 3dfx collection but i wonder what it is exactly.
It has 2 tv-outs? and the i/o plate is gold colored. There is a text on the board '' v3-v1.1''

Unfortunately i bought it as a perfectly working card but it doesn't work, no display, nothing..... you can hear the computer boot (and start windows?) but the screen doesn't come on.
Any tips to get it running? I can see no scratches, no bend legs on the ram chips or any other damage. I cleaned the contacts, didn't help. There is a small ''palce'' chip in a socket,pulled it and reseated but still nothing.
It doesn't have a lot of components so what could be wrong?

Attachments

• IMAG0263.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0263.jpg
    File size
    682.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMAG0261.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0261.jpg
    File size
    903.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMAG0262.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0262.jpg
    File size
    860.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1 of 8, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VillageTronic MP760 or MP860 😀.

Normally it has a big heatsink. It doesn't boot up because it's for the Macintosh and not compatible with PC.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 2 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a line of cards from 3Dfx based on the Voodoo3, these were called the Velocity cards. They usually came with 8MB VRAM, lower clocks, disabled TMU or all of the above 🤣 . If this is a Mac card, you can just install another PCI or AGP card next to it, flash BIOS with the appropriate one for x86 PCs and have the card working properly. The lack of heatsink is a little concerning, especially if you unlock/overclock the card, but that's a different issue at the moment.

Reply 3 of 8, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that is a 3DFX Voodoo Velocity
3DFX made some of them for OEM partners (HP, Dell, Compaq etc) they are Voodoo 3 2000 with only 8MB and they are not able to elaborate more than one texture.
This is only a software problem you can turn on multitexturing function on your windows register
"FX_GLIDE_NUM_TMU" from 1 to 2 😉

Reply 4 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thandor wrote:

Normally it has a big heatsink. It doesn't boot up because it's for the Macintosh and not compatible with PC.

Thandor is right! Thank you! Now i know what it is AND why it doesn't boot. (Are you the Dutch Thandor from tweakers and a 3dfx collector yourself?)

It is exactly the same as the mp860. On the pictures with the big heatsink you can't see the ram but on others the mp860 has chips on the front. I probably have a different revision, the layout etc. is exactly the same.

Nice to know it might actually work. I don't plan to flash it as i will not use it anyway, just wanted to have it for the collection (i have multiple v3 pci that i can use).
I have the 5500 pci mac edition (flashed to pc) but never saw a v3 mac... nice

Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, certainly. If i ever come across an old mac i might test it and it will get a heatsink first. For now it will be on the shelf 🤣
Still think it's a nice card as it is so different from my normal v3 pci's.

Reply 7 of 8, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
Thandor wrote:

Thandor is right! Thank you! Now i know what it is AND why it doesn't boot. (Are you the Dutch Thandor from tweakers and a 3dfxYes collector yourself?)

Yes, I am (and collector, too).

meljor wrote:

Yes, certainly. If i ever come across an old mac i might test it and it will get a heatsink first. For now it will be on the shelf 🤣
Still think it's a nice card as it is so different from my normal v3 pci's.

If you get hold of an old Mac you can boot till the POST without heatsink just to check if the card would work. If it doesn't work you saved time fiddling with a cooling solution 😉. For longer operation a heatsink is neccesary.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 8 of 8, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RAM modules on the back side looks really weird. Anyway, Voodoo3 MAC is very rare and nice collectible item.
btw - Banshee for MAC also exists and it is based on very similar PCB. I was lucky to get this one http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=23 😀

iXMicro_ix3D_Game_Rocket_F.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware