VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently had my 486 fixed so I'm looking to give it a moderate upgrade from it's vanilla state.
I was looking out for an SB Pro 2 or an SB16 when I thought of a boxed card that I have laying around.
The box states it's a Galaxy Pro 16 but looking at the markings on the card, it is supposed to be an Orion 16.
Now is there some other board attached to it and I can't seem to find any info on it so if anybody can provide me with some more info, bring it on 😊

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/74v78e9flm27xv4/AA … DbqI_r5HIa?dl=0

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 2 of 6, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Aztech card that came with a smaller ISA one containing a very compact FM Radio tuner. Perhaps this is the function of your add-on there as the circuitry looks similar?

I never got it working.

EDIT;
Yup, TEA5712 is a radio apparently: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/phi … ps/TEA5712T.pdf

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Aztech model you have is indeed the Sound Galaxy Orion16 card.

This particular model is based on the 2nd generation of sound cards from Aztech Labs using the AZT-1605 chipset.
I have two similar models that are based on the same chipset (the Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra - I38-MMSN811 & the Sound Galaxy Pro16II - I38-MMSN822) but, your card has the extra connector which acts as an interface for either a SCSI device (like a SCSI CD-ROM Drive) or (in your case) an FM radio card (the 1st generation Sound Galaxy NXPRO & NXPRO16 sound cards had similar connectors for SCSI CD-ROM drives).

Unfortunately, the AZT-1605 chipset only supports the Sound Blaster 2.0 (DSP 2.0x) and is not Sound Blaster Pro II or higher compatible (specifically, the DAC part under DOS). This means no stereo playback under DOS for digital voices.
It does, however, have the Yamaha YMF-262M (OPL3) FM synthesis chip which allows it to play back FM synthesis in stereo (just like the Sound Blaster Pro II/16/AWE32 range of sound cards).

If you're looking for Aztech cards with Sound Blaster Pro II compatibility, then you will have to look for out for one of the 1st generation of sound cards or, one with the AZT-2316A (or AZT-2316R) chipsets.
The ones with the AZT-2320 chipsets supports Plug 'n Play.

Reply 5 of 6, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks jesolo for the explanation!! There is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum, I just love it!
Seems I will need to go for an SB16 or a Pro (2) then to be sure 🙁

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 6 of 6, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the TEA5712T was for AM/FM circuits, so a radio card. I think it's actually kind of neat because it's a sign of what we had to do before there was web-streaming radio stations. It would be nice if it had a connector to hook up a real antenna, though.