VOGONS

retro case revival

Topic actions

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while back I posted a case I had found in a computer shop asking if anyone had ever seen one like it before. Well now I know it's a foxconn made (or at least patented) in early 2000. The unique feature of this case being the translucent blue plastic shell. It's one of the last surviving ones , being that , I haven't found a single picture of another one on the internet at all.

I decided to finally put a computer in this case which has never been used. I started a build log over at teksyndicate but I thought I would also share with the retro computer fans as well.

I of course will not be altering the blue plastic shell or the beige front pieces. I did update the internals though to support a newer machine

2mo3zhw.jpg
etwjmr.jpg
f0qgl2.jpg

and by update , essentially just gave it a coat of black , two 120mm fans and some bolts to allow the air under it

30hwxlj.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and the side panels got a couple decals so there would be something to actually look at under the plastic

30rwweq.jpg

Reply 2 of 11, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember your first thread about it.

Hmmm. The paint job does look good, and the idea with the intake fans + standoffs is certainly good, but I personally would've left it like it was and built an early 2000s machine.

Not a fan of the decals, but that's personal preference 😵

Reply 3 of 11, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw yeah , I got the decal idea from the powermac g3 with its large "G3"logo under its frosted plastic. I'm sure anime isn't everyones cup of tea , but once I put the lights under the panels it looked very empty inside. Usually when you have clear plastic electronics you can see the guts , but with this case there was just blank metal. As for an early 2000's build , I have SOOOO many old pentium 4 machines and they just sit on the shelf because I can usually run or emulate anything they can do. I really like this case and I'd like to actually use it. So that's why I'd like to put newer guts in it.

I think this thing has sat on shelves long enough , time for it to put in some work!

Reply 4 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would suggest an RDRAM build 😁 this is a perfect case for that! Be it P3 or P4 go for it! :EDIT: I normally cringe at any anime pc build, but like this one!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

I normally cringe at any anime pc build, but like this one!

Same here!

Considering having a P4, I can't emulate StarForce DRM on Windows 7, so I made myself a sweet Barton. Ended up using it more than the main rig 😒 Not exactly a P4, but I never liked Netburst anyway...

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2015-09-18, 10:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would stick something in, that was avaliable in the first half of 2000.

Motherboard of choice. Whatever you can match or want, from first half of 2000.
So. Eighter a P3-Coppermine or an Athlon SlotA (the first athlon's)
For the GfX, you could choose between something like a GF2-GTS, Radeon 7000, G400-Max or V3-3000/3500.
For sound. Well... Can't say much. SB-Live perhaps? Naaa... I have no real clue here.
For drives/storage, go with new stuff. Old drives and such are just too worn out.

This would be an era correct machine, as far as some hardware goes.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would put last-half-of-2000 stuff in it, and keep Miku out of it as that's an anachronism. Stick in a Rei and/or Ryoko instead. 😁

Come on, it says "2000" on it, that's begging to be a Windows ME/2000 Voodoo5/Radeon7200/Geforce2+SBLive5.1 AthlonTbird/P3/P4Willamette box 🤣 I wouldn't have considered doing anything else with a case like that! I'd also probably do insane things like drop Windowblinds 2.0 on there for extra gloss, and treat a skin-using obsession to it all. I wonder if NeoPlanet is still usable and i wonder if anyone ever archived all those neoplanet skins

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

As for an early 2000's build , I have SOOOO many old pentium 4 machines and they just sit on the shelf because I can usually run or emulate anything they can do.

Don't worry you guys I have plenty of old school builds , retro hardware , and other cool things to make up for the modern hard ware in this case!

But if I stuck older hardware in this , it would just sit on a self for the majority of time.

Reply 9 of 11, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

reassembly

2s9c089.jpg
282joyx.jpg

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely a imac "inspired" wana be, hated them at the time but can see the appeal now.
The lack of anything at all in the 5 1/4 bays looks so wrong in a case like this but like how its keeps the case looking like its never been used here.
I can understand the desire of building a proper retro system but really do like the much more powerful wolf hidden in sheep's clothing, kinda like old cars that have massive engines in old rusting bodies

Reply 11 of 11, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah yes , back in the day loading it up with cd drives would definitely be awesome , but yes I purposely left them empty as they never been removed and it's rare to still have the covers