VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any conversion kits that could be used to get -5 volts from a modern PSU where the -5 volt wire is missing?

Reply 1 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are kits for ATX to AT that do that, but I am not aware of an ATX kit.

However, StarTech is still selling new ATX power supplies with -5V. And older, but decent brands / models, can be had second hand. Personally I just don't use ISA cards that need -5V.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 11, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have understood that every ISA card (e.g. sound cards) would require -5 volts. Am I wrong? How does the ISA bus work if -5 volt is not available?

Reply 3 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
markot wrote:

I have understood that every ISA card (e.g. sound cards) would require -5 volts. Am I wrong? How does the ISA bus work if -5 volt is not available?

Only a few cards need the -5V line. One of the very early SoundBasters, some PAS cards and the LAPC do need it.
You can always do a little mod and add the -5V line using a voltage regulator from the -12V line.

Reply 4 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
markot wrote:

Yup that's wrong 😀 But it's a good kind of wrong 🤣

Popular cards that need -5V are the Roland LAPC-I, the Sound Blaster 2 and PAS 16. Put another way, what sound card are you worried might need -5V?

Reply 5 of 11, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have just thought that it would be a requirement to have always -5 volts for sound card. I found also some information on this website:

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/isa_pinout.shtml

So if the pin 5 is missing, then -5 volts would not be required if I have understood correctly. It is good information, then I could use modern ATX power supplies too if sound cards doesn't require this voltage.

Also found this discussion: ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Reply 6 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup.

I've been using modern ATX power supplies for a long time. Even with 386 machines through adapters. Not having -5V is no issue unless you use a card that requires it 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if you use a SoundBlaster 2.0 (for example) with a PSU that doesn't have -5V? What part of it wouldn't work correctly? I'm guessing it uses the negative voltage during the DAC stage, so the joystick port would work fine but the audio output would have half the waveform cut off?

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malvineous wrote:

What happens if you use a SoundBlaster 2.0 (for example) with a PSU that doesn't have -5V? What part of it wouldn't work correctly? I'm guessing it uses the negative voltage during the DAC stage, so the joystick port would work fine but the audio output would have half the waveform cut off?

https://youtu.be/8QXmxdiNWIs?t=2m24s

Reply 9 of 11, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fascinating! What a great video. That answers my question in the best way possible - thanks for that!

Reply 10 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you! I have been searching everywhere to find an answer to this!

Reply 11 of 11, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, there's a guy on eBay that makes custom adapters for PSUs http://www.ebay.com/itm/251854771572?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <--That's a 24 pin ATX to 20 pin ATX with a -5v regulator. He has a 24 pin to 24 pin and an ATX to AT with the same thing (As well as an ATX to AT with -5v and a dummy 3.3v load for some power supplies that won't work without load on the 3.3v rail)