VOGONS

First post, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New to the board -- hi!

I recently acquired this Compaq Presario CDS 510 system in really nice condition. Unfortunately the guy couldn't find the original keyboard, otherwise it's all there, quite minty and working.

WRJcJj7.jpg
(Sorry -- poor phone photo)

As far as I can tell, the CDS 510 was the very lowest-end of the systems with this form factor. It sports an Intel 486 SX/33, 4 MB of RAM soldered to the mainboard, 270 MB Quantum IDE hard drive, 2X Mitsumi IDE CD-ROM, a (VLB?) Cirrus Logic GD5424 with 512K graphics RAM, ESS 688 audio, and a 14.4K fax modem (all three on the main board).

This particular machine is dated November 1994, and going by various documents found on the hard drive, it seems to have been in business use -- writing invoices and such -- as late as 2007. Impressive!

It runs MS-DOS 6.2 and Compaq-branded Windows 3.1 with all the various stuff that came bundled with the machine originally: Microsoft Works 3.0, Encarta '95, Compuserve trial, etc -- more importantly, though, it has the original DOS drivers for power management, CD-ROM, mouse etc as well as the parition with BIOS Setup and diagnostics utilities which Compaq machines like this one used to have on a hidden 2 MB disk partition instead of in ROM.

Which brings me to my questions:

I urgently need to preserve the original software before something happens. The hard disk seems fine for now but of course, a drive from 1994 may be living on borrowed time as this point, so I need to back up all this stuff before it's too late. In particular, I need to make an image of the 2 MB partition with the Setup stuff.

So: what is my best option for something that can run from MS-DOS and write raw partition data to an image file on disk? An old version of Norton Ghost? Something else? I wish this was *nix so I could just dd if=/dev/hda of=file, but alas...

The SX33 is slo-o-ow on some games and nearly nothing I remember from my childhood runs (well) in 4 MB. I threw in 16 MB of extra RAM I had lying around but sometimes the system crashes when playing Sim City 2000, for instance, so I guess maybe the RAM is bad. In order to speed things up a bit, I ordered 32 MB (what luxury!) of additional RAM as well as a DX/2 66 (which I believe the board will take no questions asked -- the DX/4's may be iffier since the board doesn't run at 3.3V).

In my childhood, which I am kind of reliving through this system, I had a DX/4 100 with 256K of L2 cache and a 1 MB CL-GD5432 (I think that was what the chip was called -- going on hazy memories here). So pretty much the next step up or two from this Compaq.

This machine has *no* L2 cache nor sockets for it. How much does this actually matter when playing games of the 1993-97 era or doing random Win 3.1 stuff?

Also, what's the difference between the CL-GD5224 and the '32? I was plenty happy with the latter back in the day...

Would greatly appreciate any help! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure on how to make HDD image but have you checked HP\Compaq website most drivers can still be found there. Sounds like your old system with 256KB cache was the 5x86 mobo with pci slot, as for running games without cache upgrade even with a dx4 anything like doom will run slowly. I have a Presario cds 724 4x86 model with 128KB cache and dx4 100 and it runs fpu heavy games like doom, my guess is your old machine was either Prolinea or Presario 784. Main difference between CL-GD5224 and CL-GD5432 is memory, 5224 base 512KB upgrade to 1MB, 5432 base 1MB upgrade to 2MB, in my experience these memory upgrades do nothing for dos game performance.

Last edited by stuvize on 2015-10-27, 04:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stuvize wrote:

I'm not sure on how to make HDD image but have you checked HP\Compaq website most drivers can still be found there. Sounds like your old system with 256KB cache was the 5x86 mobo with pci slot, as for running games without cache upgrade even with a dx4 anything like doom will run slowly. I have a Presario cds 724 4x86 model with 128KB cache and dx4 100 and it runs fpu heavy games like doom, my guess is your old machine was either Prolinea or Presario 784. Main difference between CL-GD5224 and CL-GD5432 is memory, 5224 base 512KB upgrade to 1MB, 5432 base 1MB upgrade to 2MB, in my experience these memory upgrades do nothing for dos game performance.

Thanks!

My old machine was an IBM Aptiva actually, I only mention it as I want a ballpark estimate of the difference in performance between the two.

Reply 4 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stuvize wrote:

Main difference between CL-GD5224 and CL-GD5432 is memory, 5224 base 512KB upgrade to 1MB, 5432 base 1MB upgrade to 2MB, in my experience these memory upgrades do nothing for dos game performance.

There is more difference than memory size between 5424 and 5432. But it's true that it doesn't matter much in DOS usage. Otherwise 5432 is pretty good Windows GUI accelerator.

For HDD image you can use Ghost. I'd install a second HDD and make a compressed image to it. Or you can just copy everything to another drive - DOS/Windows 3.1 and even Win9x aren't too picky about copying system to another drive. For restore you only have to copy files back to the original locations.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 6, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice machine. I have the Compaq Presario CDS 520 which I upgraded to a 486 DX4-100 (Overdrive). I think it had a 486SX2 66MHz before? I have also replaced the hard drive, which died, with a SD card IDE interface. I have a 2GB SD Card in there for the Hard drive which runs fast and quiet. I put 64MB of RAM in there just because I could 🤣. It runs Doom and other similar FPS games from the period very smoothly.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 6 of 6, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rick12373
Since you have the same model has myself, if you can please share your knowledge on the thread ive created today:
Compaq cds 524 - upgrade info [help]

thanks in advance 😉

www.retromania.pt