hello im new here. i just find and old pc the specks are
pentium 3 800mhz
ram 384mhz
mobo compaq spare 203966
soundblaster live the chip on the board says ct 4830
one dvd rom
one floppy drive
20gb hdd
and guess what. i format it with win98se for old dos gaming the cd is bootable so no need for boot disk
fist thing i install the unofficial sp3 and the usb drivers my win98se rig can now read usb flash devices 😊
i belive i found and install all the drivers (much difficult to find drivers for this board)i have only one unkknow device i bet is the onboard sound.
now when play dos games in windows everything about audio is fine. the live sb have good sb16 emulation. if i exit to ms-dos mode the game cant find soundblaster. my temporaly solution for games that dont work ok in windows is dosbox (dosbox doing ok even on win98se really great program) but then i aquire this pc the only thing in my mind was to play everything without the dosbox emulation. so the question is what can i do for the soundblaster to work in only dos enviroment?? i dont want to try things on my own like modify anything in confiq or autoexec the thing i know for sure is you screw with win98 or any other dosbased os. its gona screw you for hours in return. thanks for your time

Reply 1 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome.
Try this. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=40,33

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a very similar mobo to yours, unfortunately it doesn't support Tualatin but the board seems like a nice one.

I tested my board (I'm not 100% sure it's the exact same model number, but it looks very much to be the same board) with a standard PSU and it didn't blow up so you can put it in another case and use any standard model PSU provided it has enough juice. If you still have the original case and don't like it then you can use another one. I don't have the original case anymore though.

I like the color of the socket 😁

I don't think I ever used it for a build so I can't give you any advice on how it ran.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

P3 800 should have enough power to play dos games in Windows.
If you just double click on say Doom.exe I bet it works ok. No need to install dosbox.
BUT I do understand the desire to get working in true dos, good luck with the link PCBONEZ gave you and let us know how it goes 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok i made it sound in pure ms-dos ok. i needed to edit the paths of some lines in the autoexec-config differently from the ones in the given pack. not big deal ofcource. about the dosbox chinny22 is needed only for old ms-dos games like aladdin and bubble bobble. aladdin dont like to run in dos in windows no sound. if run in only ms-dos gives xms error. needs 32mb ram maximum i have 384. bubble bobble dont like p3 runs bad.
doom -doom 2 yes they are ok in windows

Reply 8 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truemaster wrote:

ok i made it sound in pure ms-dos ok. i needed to edit the paths of some lines in the autoexec-config differently from the ones in the given pack. not big deal ofcource. about the dosbox chinny22 is needed only for old ms-dos games like aladdin and bubble bobble. aladdin dont like to run in dos in windows no sound. if run in only ms-dos gives xms error. needs 32mb ram maximum i have 384. bubble bobble dont like p3 runs bad.
doom -doom 2 yes they are ok in windows

SB-Live does not work in XMS mode. The best result, when using a post-SB16-ISA card, are to use SB-Link/PcPci-Header.
All Creative PCI-cards does not support this technology, except the AWE64 PCI edition.

For dos-games you have problem with. You just have too fast a machine.
You need something slower. Really slow actually, compared to an P3.
Look for something like 486 to Pentium one, running something in the neighbourhood of 133mhz to 166mhz.
Or you could look into Socket Super 7 platform and K6-II/III, as they perform nice enough when cache are disabled.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011