VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys it's me again, making a new thread so I don't bump the old one with a different topic. As you know my general 98/xp hybrid setup is:

ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 SLACQ 2.66GHz 8MB 1066MHz Quad-Core Processor
500GB Momentus XT SSHD
2GB = 2 x 1GB DDR400(now working thanks to you guys.)
Nvidia GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB 4/8X AGP
Sony 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy - MPF920
Super writemaster DVD Drive
Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 Optical AU8830 A3D Rev.C PCI
Linksys WMP54G v4.1 Wifi
EVGA 500w PSU
In-Win beige Micro-ATX
80mm fan and 92mm fan
Thermaltake LGA775 Cpu Cooler

However, I've realized that while the Linksys fully updated to ralink drivers is all well and good, it feels like a terrible waste of a pci slot on a micro atx given there's plenty of great usb options out there now and retro connectivity is temporary anyhow. Therefore, I've been reevaluating it's uses for the future. This is especially true because the same guy that helped me get it working, kanecvr, pointed out a major flaw

This is a really underpowered card for the system you built.

I looked into it, and found out he's entirely right. It would work fantastic on 98 and be next to useless on xp. So my considerations:

1. I'd still rather run one video card, not for the wifi, but for the simplicity's sake. No bios and kvm swapping, no messing with drivers, pure digital dvi support, etc. What games actually use 8-bit palettes textures and table fog? There's only 3 games for textures listed in the wiki, and I know there's plenty more that use them. Blood is a good example. Basically, would my compatibility be THAT crippled by using a 6800 ultra?

2. If #1 isn't possible, what multi card setup would you recommend? Being someone that's never grown up with voodoo, yet is fascinated by any old gaming technology, I was aware that they have a strong fanbase but I had no idea how much they held their value. I'm considering a GeForce 7800 GS AGP for xp and a voodoo 3-5(depending on what deals I can find) for 98/dos. However, I hear you can run two cards at the same time and many old games can be forced to use one adapter or the other, in which case would you recommend a voodoo 3-5 and a 6800 ultra?

3. If #1 is possible, would you recommend a sound card better for DOS than the Vortex 2? However I've heard when set up right with a wavetable daughterboard, the Vortex 2 works great in 98 dos windows, and good enough in pure dos.

Reply 1 of 7, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Opinions

1) If you only run a single video card for both operating systems you'll have to compromise between either compatibility for 98 or speed for XP. So not the best option.

2) 2 cards will give you better flexibility. I can't see any arguments there. Personally if I was building a 98+XP I would use AGP the slot for the very fastest card I could get. Even if thats an XP only card. Then just use a PCI voodoo 2 for windows 98. However thats only because anything higher than voodoo 2 in PCI has become hard to find and expensive. Is the glide API important to you? Voodoo 2 would also require the VGA loop back/video switch/multi input monitor*. Maybe a geforce 4 TI or something instead if they are cheaper/easier to find in PCI.

3) Don't know of a better one in PCI. None are perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the Vortex, other than some non critical driver annoyances.

*Just realised running 2 cards you'll need one of those anyway.

Reply 2 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, i figured #2 was it. I also don't have any nostalgia for glide, only interest. So until then a fx5500/5600 pci and a 7800gs wouldn't actually be a bad combo. Ideally I'd get a voodoo 5, but they're $200. Yeah, I notice the voodoo 2 and 3 pci are most in my budget. I'm seeing voodoo 3 2000 pcis for about 30 loose and 80 mint.

Reply 3 of 7, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually tried an agp Geforce 4 ti 4200 in a GA-8I865GME-775-RH motherboard (fairly similar to yours) and it showed graphics corruption for some reason. Worked in a Pentium 3 based mobo. A geforce 5 fx5200 did not have any issues. Not sure if that's relevant to your situation but thought I should mention it.

So anyway maybe an FX would be better the better choice. Only mentioned the 4 ti on instinct because they were fast in the final days of 98 gaming before the majority of gamers moved to XP. Hopefully you get some more responses to your video card question, but I think a fx5500/5600 would work nicely. It would just mean using slightly later drivers.

Reply 4 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very interesting machine.

Personally I see DOS and Windows 9x suits itself well for a hybrid machine, so does XP and Vista. I never thought about joining Windows 98 and XP, IMO these two don't mix very well. Unless you're building a Splinter Cell machine 🤣 , then get a GF4, which should work well enough in Windows 98

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'll probably get the highest pci fx I can find if vodoo isn't an option, because my 5950ultra in the agp slot is working fantastic for 98 atm so I wouldn't see why the pci verisons wouldn't. But there are some pretty good deals on voodoo 3's out there atm.

I never thought about joining Windows 98 and XP, IMO these two don't mix very well.

Huh, surprised because on msfn these kinds of builds are pretty common. I guess the communities have very different priorities i.e. pushing limits vs just games. Of course, I'm interested in both 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remember - the PCI version will peform considerably worse. Make a list of the games you wanna play, then see if they have any compatibility issues with GF6+. If not, just get a 6800 or 79x0 AGP card and be happy.

Reply 7 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well final fantasy 7, 8 and build engine games are most definitely games I want to play. So yeah, i'm probably gonna dual setup 😒