VOGONS

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well then you build a computer inside a VCR. So here are the pictures, I just finished building the thing. Inside pictures and detailed specs are coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0822.JPG
    File size
    172.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0816.JPG
    File size
    261.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0815.JPG
    File size
    181.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0813.JPG
    File size
    193.19 KiB
    Views
    File license

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Specs are:
Shuttle HOT-687V, but if I need, I can replace it with any classic mATX motherboard. I only put 128MB ram in it, but it can accept 512MB.
Pentium III 800Mhz, but you can underclock it with those front switches, to 400@66 450@75 600@100 and some more unofficial settings.
Standard 3,5" ATA hard drive. Standard 3,5" floppy drive. And a CompactFlash to IDE slot for file trasfer to and form a modern computer.
Realtek 8139C PCI NIC, not the fastest, but has DOS, Windows 3.1 and OS/2 drivers. And is low profile.
Some noname low profile Nvidia Geforce MX200.
And a low profile ESS1878 ISA sound card for DOS sound.
I guted a noname modern 300W power suply unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0831.JPG
    File size
    470.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0834.JPG
    File size
    688.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0830.JPG
    File size
    598.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0829.JPG
    File size
    538.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0828.JPG
    File size
    523.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 4 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Very unique and innovative, lots of customizing and out of the box ideas here. Big kudos also for reusing an old, broken VCR in this manner 😎

It also resembles a pizza box, and I usually get weary of those - its pretty cramped and tight in there. Heat could be a concern with just one exhaust fan.

An external fuse holder! Haven't seen one on a computer PSU in ages! Sure makes it easy to replace when needed 😁

I hope you beefed up the PSU seeing that is now partially open and with exposed components, you don't want smoke pouring out when you least expect it.

All in all, it looks really good. I would suggest at least another exhaust fan to help with cooling, probably around the CPU area.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System stays totaly cool. Air flows in the top large vent. And goes out from the side. If you can see then cpu and psu are all just under the vent. And the ambient airflow even holds the videocard cool. So no problems there. And yes i also bridged the original psu fuse and retrofited a fuse holder in the back. Just for gigles. And yes i like the times when computer were more like a vcr or game console that sat beside a tv.

Reply 10 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah i have same idea. Make a chiptune player.

Reply 11 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Neat build. 😁 I have a cassette deck on my desk that I want to do something similar with.

Cyberdyne wrote:

Yeah i have same idea. Make a chiptune player.

Now that would be neat to see 😁

Ooohh, the pain......