VOGONS

Some advice about hardware mixers

Topic actions

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm hoping that I'm using the correct terminology here.
Basically, I have about 3 (and sometimes 4) PC's whose sound output I route through one set of desktop speakers (space limitations).
The speaker set has two audio inputs. So, it minimises the hassel of me having to plug in and out the sound output of all PC's.

However, I'm thinking of buying a hardware mixer that will enable me to plug all my PC's sound output into the mixer and then route the sound output from the mixer to the desktop speakers.
I'm not looking for a mixer that will take up half my desk space. Just something small and "simple" (practical).
Any advice?

Reply 1 of 24, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you absolutely want to hear sound from each four PCs simultaneously (mixer does this), or would it be enough to select one of the PCs to be connected to the speakers (a simple switch does this)?

Reply 2 of 24, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could look at passive line splitters / mixers - they don't require power and take little space. I have an Art SplitMix 4 - does its job fine but it uses 6.35mm jacks so it requires adapters. I chose it over the Rolls MX41b because it was cheaper, and also because the MX41b has front mounted input jacks, not a very elegant solution IMO. If I had to choose something else I would look into the Rolls MX42 as well.

splitmix4_angle_lg.jpg

Front12007062653105.jpg

51dE5WiSZqL._SY300_.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Essentially, I just want to route the sound output of al my PC's via one "central" point and, from that "central" point, route the sound output to the sound input of my desktop speakers.
So, the switch that you referred to should do the trick.
I just thought a basic mixer should do the trick, since you should be able to mute the other channels and then just pass through the one that you want to hear?

Reply 4 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
You could look at passive line splitters / mixers - they don't require power and take little space. I have an Art SplitMix 4 - d […]
Show full quote

You could look at passive line splitters / mixers - they don't require power and take little space. I have an Art SplitMix 4 - does its job fine but it uses 6.35mm jacks so it requires adapters. I chose it over the Rolls MX41b because it was cheaper, and also because the MX41b has front mounted input jacks, not a very elegant solution IMO. If I had to choose something else I would look into the Rolls MX42 as well.

splitmix4_angle_lg.jpg

Front12007062653105.jpg

51dE5WiSZqL._SY300_.jpg

This could work. Seems to be simple and compact.

Reply 5 of 24, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those mini mixers. It does its job fine BUT when connected to a wall-brick power supply it introduces MASSIVE 60Hz hum into the audio chain. My solution: 9V battery.

You might want to go with something like a Behringer Xenyx 502 or Q502USB instead, you can pick those up used for $30ish and they'll do what you want & are a little more solidly built. Look for a local musicians buy & sell group on facebook or wherever.

(My mini-mixer feeds the left side of my music studio into a Xenyx 1832FX on the right side. Works for me.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 24, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad that jesolo asked this question because I'm interested in a getting a compact mixer as well. If I have two sound cards in a system--one for digital effects and one for MIDI music--I'd like to mix them into one stream (my speaker has only one input). The options above seem to be what I'm looking for.

Reply 7 of 24, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these things and they're handy, but kind of fell out of my daily use because of the effect on sound quality. I might try the battery power idea.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll pop in at my local music store to see what they have available but, the Rolls MX41b seems to be more or less what I'm looking for.
It has both 1/4" & 1/8" inputs and outputs, which is perfect for what I want to use it for.
Another alternative (after browsing a bit on the internet) is the Rolls MX44s, which is the powered version and actually has a gain of 30 dB (the MX41b has a gain of -12 dB, which means your volume output is lower).

Reply 9 of 24, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somewhat relevant pics:
[edit: photob^ck*t pics removed 😠 ]

The mini-mixer goes into the "l. side mix" channels on the big mixer (and the shin bone is connected to the thigh bone...) As I said before, no problems with sound quality as long as it's not on mains power. The EQ adjustments (bass, mids, highs) and effects processor on the big mixer are nice to have for warming up tinny / dry soundcard output though. 😀

Last edited by xjas on 2019-05-23, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-in-1-AV-Audio-Vi … DAAAOSwDNdVrea9

For some reason, AV switches (with the third yellow plug) are cheaper / easier to find than switches for "just" audio.

If you want a proper mixer, you will have to spend quite a bit more...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use the Roland MX-5. Fits my use well, and it looks nice along all my other Roland equipment (including MPU-104/105 boxes). See thread here: My 4-PC KVM setup with audio, MIDI and recording options
Roland-MX-5.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

The mini-mixer goes into the "l. side mix" channels on the big mixer (and the shin bone is connected to the thigh bone...) As I said before, no problems with sound quality as long as it's not on mains power.

Have you tried a different wall wart to eliminate the 60Hz hum? Cheap power bricks often have ground loop issues or are too skimpy on filtration.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

I have a few of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-in-1-AV-Audio-Vi … DAAAOSwDNdVrea9

For some reason, AV switches (with the third yellow plug) are cheaper / easier to find than switches for "just" audio.

If you want a proper mixer, you will have to spend quite a bit more...

Thanks for that one Phil.
You're quite correct. This one is considerably cheaper than the Rolls MX41b & MX44s.
Pretty straight forward. You just plug in all your different sound sources, turn the selector switch to the one you want to hear and that's it.
Have you noticed any drop in sound output after "routing" your PC's sound output via this switcher?
Any background noise that you could pick up if there is no sound playback?

Reply 14 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. I've run the MIDI modules through the 4 in 1, which then went into an analogue mixer, and then into speakers / line-in for recording. Couldn't notice any impact on audio quality.

However, it was a cable spaghetti mess, so now I don't use the 4 in 1. I do use the analogue mixer but patch in whatever MIDI module I'm currently using. It's more manual work, but a much cleaner / tidier setup 😀

Reply 15 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Nope. I've run the MIDI modules through the 4 in 1, which then went into an analogue mixer, and then into speakers / line-in for recording. Couldn't notice any impact on audio quality.

However, it was a cable spaghetti mess, so now I don't use the 4 in 1. I do use the analogue mixer but patch in whatever MIDI module I'm currently using. It's more manual work, but a much cleaner / tidier setup 😀

Glad to hear. I think I'm going to give this one a try.
Just as a matter of interest. Why route your sound sources via this switcher and then via a mixer? Is it because you want to adjust bass/treble as well? Sorry, not that knowledgable with this.

Reply 16 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

Just as a matter of interest. Why route your sound sources via this switcher and then via a mixer? Is it because you want to adjust bass/treble as well? Sorry, not that knowledgable with this.

I have 4 MIDI modules which go into the 4 in 1: MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55 and MU80

With the 4 in 1 I could select which MIDI module to use.

The output of the 4 in 1 then went into the anlogue mixer. Also into the analogue mixer was my AWE64 Gold for speech / sound effects and CD-Audio. I built myself a rear slot bracket for CD Audio with RCA ports.

That left me with one more line-in on the analogue mixer, which I used for whatever project was on my test-bench. So yea, LOTS of cables.

Reply 17 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
I have 4 MIDI modules which go into the 4 in 1: MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55 and MU80 […]
Show full quote
jesolo wrote:

I have 4 MIDI modules which go into the 4 in 1: MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55 and MU80

With the 4 in 1 I could select which MIDI module to use.

The output of the 4 in 1 then went into the anlogue mixer. Also into the analogue mixer was my AWE64 Gold for speech / sound effects and CD-Audio. I built myself a rear slot bracket for CD Audio with RCA ports.

That left me with one more line-in on the analogue mixer, which I used for whatever project was on my test-bench. So yea, LOTS of cables.

Tell me about it. You must see what my workspace looks like - 3 PC's connected via a 4 port KVM switch (PS/2) and then also a printer and a Roland SC-55 & Roland CM-32L. Cables galore (luckily most of it tucked in behind all the PC's but, I have left sufficient space for ventilation).

Reply 18 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I rocked a KVM as well at "the beginning" of my retro journey. I soon realised that I kept changing the parts of the machines I had, so that quickly went out the window.I now just have one retro PC, the rest are test benches I use for whatever project I'm currently working on.

Reply 19 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 3 "permanent" PC's connected to the KVM switch with the 4th one available for testing purposes. I've been using it this way for quite some time now.
Fortunately, all my PC's have PS/2 ports (even my 486), which makes it ideal for a KVM switch setup.
If I had more time on my hands (and more space available), then I probably would have followed a similar approach to what you have but, for now, this will have to do.

Thanks again for the advice.