VOGONS

First post, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just fixed a 5.25 Mitsumi D509V3 drive I got with some PC scrap parts. It was working, but the problem was that the motor started to spin after the disk was inserted, but it didn't wait until the lever was closed. So the lever had to be closed while the motor was spinning, and that could possibly damage the floppy disk. After the lever was closed, the drive stopped spinning and the data could be read on the PC. But after removing the disk, sometimes the drive started to spin and refused to stop.

I discovered that this issue was caused by broken/bent endstop switch, which was being activated too early. It had a lever which was supposed to be pushed by the floppy disk, after the lever on the front panel was lowered, but it was badly aligned and I found it impossible to adjust the lever angle and height in a proper way - when it was too high, motor started spinning to early, and when it was too low, it didn't start spinning at all.

bad_sw.jpg
Filename
bad_sw.jpg
File size
281.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
bad_sw_2.jpg
Filename
bad_sw_2.jpg
File size
647.32 KiB
Views
File license

After looking at the mechanism, I realized that after the disk is insterted and I close the lever, a metal arm goes down. So I decided to desolder the old switch, and make a DIY solution, using three pieces of copper clad, a wire and some cables. I glued one piece of copper clad to the bottom part of the mechanism, and soldered a piece of wire there, which acts as a contact. It is soldered only in one point, in order to have some elasticity. Then I glued another piece of copper clad to that metal arm, soldered some wires, connected that in place of old switch and that's it.

copper.jpg
Filename
copper.jpg
File size
244.2 KiB
Views
File license
diy3.jpg
Filename
diy3.jpg
File size
832.72 KiB
Views
File license

When the lever is completely closed, contact is made between these two surfaces I put there and the motor starts spinning. Problem solved 😁

in_out.jpg
Filename
in_out.jpg
File size
334.69 KiB
Views
File license

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2 of 2, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! I wonder if one of my 2.88MB floppy drives can also be repaired in a similar way. The disk doesn't spin but it seems to still be attempting to read the disk and as these types of floppy drives are nearly impossible to find, I never threw it out. I even kept a 1.44MB version of the same drive in case I ever needed it for spare parts.

Maybe it would be a fun idea to create a thread to show off your repairs 😁

I once repared a s370 board which had a broken CPU socket lever. It had broken right at the socket itself and the original lever was long gone even when I first got the board. In the end I figured out the plastic white lever was exactly the same as in many other boards (even sA) and I cannibalized one from a dead socket A board, lifted the top half of the socket (I had to use a flatbed screwdriver here), replaced the lever and clicked the top half of the CPU socket back in place and it worked! 😁

Too bad later it turned out the floppy connector on the board was dead, but that's what LS-120 drives are for 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!