VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there! Yesterday, being incredibly lucky, I saved GUS Max rev.2.1 from being thrown in the dumpster. And yes, it was free!

I have been wanting this card for so long and now that I actually have it, I don't know what to use it for.

First of all, what's the best platform to use it on? I am tempted to put it inside a 386DX or 486 box just by looking at GUS release date.

What are the games that support it? Which of them sound best with it?

This and any other suggestions, advices, etc. for a complete Gravis newbie are most welcome!

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2015-12-16, 07:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great find! To me, the GUS was a good fit for the 486. I don't know much about the Max, but I have a Classic in a 486DX2-50 build and an Ace in a SS7 build.

Epic games like Jazz, Epic Pinball, One Must Fall supported wavetable MIDI only via the GUS, if I'm not mistaken. Zone 66 too, I think.

Reply 3 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were already a few threads about this here, however for games the glist helps: http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/documen … ation/GLIST.TXT

Platform I would say 386 to SS7. The speed gain of a GUS is of course most noticeable on a 386 system.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 9, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's funny, I actually prefer the Sound Blaster version of the Zone66 soundtrack, which is amazing by the way - I still get chills when I hear the music from the opening sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuwIQ3Y6ck

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all! Especially elianda. I'm looking forward to download gravisultrasound.com completely just in case.

Considering the rig, it's either going to be a 386-DX40 with cache, or an Intel 486DX2 system on SIS 471 VLB chip set, I don't know yet.

Reply 7 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe this is also helpful: I have here a rather complete, ready to use Ultrasound directory
ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/Gravis/UltraSound/ULT/

If you put this in c:\ult you can use the following lines for init:
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\ULT
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULT
SET ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7
ULTRINIT

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished installing GUS on a 5x86. Didn't have much time past few days and the card is a little stubborn 😀

First of all, I'm very excited to know the card is in good working condition. And the sound output quality is spectacular! Small wonder this stuff is so pricey.