VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all.

Well, that was quick. Right after I bought my P233MMX machine, I decided to make some upgrades:

- replaced the CD ROM with a CD-RW drive
- added Voodoo 2
- added 3COM 3C905C-TXM NIC card

I kinda hoped that Windows 98SE would have the drivers for the 3COM card as without network I have no means of loading them on the machine (no USB, no other CD-RW drive). It didn't, but that was the least of my problems.

After I booted the machine up with all of my new hardware, I realised that shortly after the startup the keyboard and mouse freeze and stop responding. The actual machine still works, it proceeds to the screensaver. Also, keyboard and mouse work both in BIOS and Windows safe modes.

I then tried removing new cards (even the new drive) and tried booting again. It didn't work. Then I tried booting into safe mode, removing the mouse and keyboard from devices list to prompt Windows to reinitialize them at next boot. That didn't work either. What do I do?

Also, I get a weird stuttering noise from my speakers now.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try booting without the mouse, clear CMOS settings, set CMOS settings to setup default, reboot.

Btw, I have that same AT case as you, except I do not have the numerical LCD speed display.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Try booting without the mouse, clear CMOS settings, set CMOS settings to setup default, reboot.

Btw, I have that same AT case as you, except I do not have the numerical LCD speed display.

I don't even have a CMOS battery right now, so I guess the settings reset every time I reboot.

Do you know the model of that AT case, BTW?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing seemed to work, so I tried reinstalling Win98SE. The problem is still there.

Also I tried booting without a mouse. The keyboard works, but the system reacts to the key strokes really slow and somewhat erraticaly. Also, the pu-pu-pu-pu stuttering sound is still there. Also, the mouse didn't work when I tried rebooting again.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try a different keyboard? I've seen some 486 boards work with some keyboards and not others, even for the same model of motherboard.

I don't know the brand of the case either.

Reply 5 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Did you try a different keyboard? I've seen some 486 boards work with some keyboards and not others, even for the same model of motherboard.

I don't know the brand of the case either.

No, I don't have other PS/2 devices, and the machine does not have USB ports. But like I said, the keyboard and mouse stopped working only after I added the new hardware — everything was fine until then.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 10, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whenever i run into issues like this u have to peel stuff off the machine to avoid resource conflicts and add em back 1 at a tme

i had similar problems with a 3com card earlier this year.. actually two of them..
is it similar to the 3Com 3C509C-TX??
if so take it outttt and watch your problems disappear
i had really screwey things happen with those cards i had two and i kept getting confused as to which was good + which was bad. becuase they kept giving different results!!!! it might have something to do with pci spec? ie: pci spec 2.0 vs 2.1?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
check this chart for the times of pci spec revisions

pci 2.1 was around 1995.. maybe your board is 2.1 and the 3com card is 2.0 only
i had a similar nightmare with a powercolor ati radeon card

Attachments

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 7 of 10, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

actually wait i think theres a .exe or .com app for configuring the 3com and you HAVE TO RUN IT

which motherboard do u have?
i would start over and check everythng in the manual for the board from scratch
including jumper settings
and keep the 3com card unplugged for a bit till things stabilize

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 8 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HOLY $#@! SHIT (not sure if you can swear here, but I'd really like to)

Well, I just went to BIOS and checked the PCI/IRQ settings. Set "PNP OS" to yes (since I run Win 98) and set "Resources controlled by" to auto. Rebooted and everything works now. The keyboard, the mouse. Even the clicking sound stopped. I have no idea why those settings changed before, but I just wasted a couple of hours because of that.

The funny thing is, I did that for no reason, pure random luck. Control panel showed no resources conflict.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Normally I leave PNP OS set to "no" and Resourches controlled by "auto". Soundes like some of your manual resource settings were overriding the settings, e.g. IRQ, for the mouse/keyboard.

Reply 10 of 10, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

congrats:)