Pentium 3 650mhz
Mother Soyo SYVBA133
256mb Pc66
Geforce 4 ti4600
3dfx Diamond voodoo 2 12mb x2 SLI
HDD 84gb
Sound BLaster Live 5.1 sb0200

Direct x 8.1b, FastVoodoo2 V4.6 and nvidia 45.23_win9x drivers

I have installed some games, Max Payne, Rayman 2, Quake 2 and Ford Racing, so far I have managed to only run Quake 2 at 1024x768, all of the other games keep crashing, blue screens or normal crashes to desktop at startup, I think it might be a drivers issue, I have seen people with similar builds here in this forum and I was wondering that maybe someone can share a drivers combination that work with this build, or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Reply 1 of 6, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to search for a moment to find anything about the mainboard, but it seems that it has a VIA chipset which I suspected from the 'V' in the name (VIA Apollo Pro133, that's 693A/596B.)
You definitely need the VIA 4in1 drivers, especially for proper AGP support. A short search suggests you could try the 4.33 drivers.

Of course your system could have other problems. PC66 RAM with a P3 650 sounds funny, the CPU should run with FSB100. That's a possible reason for crashes. And bad caps can always cause issues with old systems.
But if you didn't already install the 4in1 drivers I'd try that first.

Reply 3 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

And bad caps can always cause issues with old systems.

Yes check for bulgy or leaky capacitors.
I had a Soyo SY-7VBA133U motherboard and the first indication I had that the motherboard's caps were going bad was crashes and general instability.

Reply 4 of 6, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Ask old hardware and driver questions in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought I was posting this there, anyways its fixed now.

idspispopd wrote:
Had to search for a moment to find anything about the mainboard, but it seems that it has a VIA chipset which I suspected from t […]
Show full quote

Had to search for a moment to find anything about the mainboard, but it seems that it has a VIA chipset which I suspected from the 'V' in the name (VIA Apollo Pro133, that's 693A/596B.)
You definitely need the VIA 4in1 drivers, especially for proper AGP support. A short search suggests you could try the 4.33 drivers

Of course your system could have other problems. PC66 RAM with a P3 650 sounds funny, the CPU should run with FSB100. That's a possible reason for crashes. And bad caps can always cause issues with old systems.
But if you didn't already install the 4in1 drivers I'd try that first.

Thanks , I found the mb drivers on a stash of driver cds, I could not find it at first because I have like 10 soyo drivers discs and they all look the same, but I think I'm gonna switch this motherboard for one of my Aopens with Intel chipset as Phil suggested me.

I already replaced the RAM for a pair of 256mb pc133 chips, if I remeber correctly the max amount of ram supported by Windows 98 Se is 512 right? wil it recognize more if install the unnoficial Service pack 3?

Reply 5 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Marvin.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 6, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The service pack 3 sorta works alright with 1gb ram, last i tried. I personally don't use it so its been awhile. But honestly, for games that came out before 2001 512mb is godly. You will see no real good performance boost in both games or windows. Especially with a 650mhz Pentium 3.