VOGONS

First post, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was lucky enough to grab this from eBay at a reasonable price. It is shrink wrapped in what seems the original shrink wrap (it has that ruffly old shrink wrap feeling to it)

q3dtjvB.jpg

Now should I open it or not? The collector in me wants to keep it like this. But at the same time I am thinking I want to see the games it came bundled with. Also I want to check for damage to the board or disk (just in case) and even make backup from drivers/games/etc. I can definitely put it all back, it will just not be shrinkwrapped anymore.

What say you? What do you do when you get something that old (20 years now) still wrapped?

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 1 of 15, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the card isnt hard to come by I would grab another AWE64 or SB32 and keep that one boxed.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 15, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like opening stuff... but storing the box somewhere safe because I like boxes too xD
Not running a board for far too long can cause problems with the capacitors.

Reply 3 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's the only one you have and you want to use it, use it. If you have another one just keep it wrapped as it has greater resale value. If you need to use it at a later time because the other one died you can always unwrap it.

That's how i do it. I have for example a sealed voodoo3 3000 and have the same itch to open it. But i have a couple more that are loose cards so there is no need to open it.

Some time ago i bought 2 sealed voodoo2 cards and back then i didn't have another sli set so i opened them straight away and used them.

Boxed is nice, alive and kicking in a system is what they are made for 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 15, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always think it's amazing to find an unopened box of something old like that. I'd be really tempted to keep it unopened just for the sake of it, but also the only reason you'd want to do that is so you could sell it one day for even more money. If you wouldn't want to sell it one day, then it's a bit pointless keeping it shrink-wrapped.

You might be able to find the CD images online if you want to look at the software it came with though, and as Skyscraper says, buying another one that's opened is certainly an option!

Reply 5 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you plan to keep it, then I wouldn't have much reservation about opening it. You'll know it's factory fresh whether it's still in shrinkwrap or not.
If you might resell it, then keeping it sealed will preserve it's value. But if resale isn't a concern, I think it would be more fun to open it.
The capacitors are probably still okay but I wouldn't be very surprised if they've gone bad. If it stays sealed for any more decades, I'd be worried about even powering it up at that point.
These cards don't have tantalums, do they? If so, I'd be really worried about those.

A few months ago I bought a 7800GS AGP card on eBay that's still sealed, but the shrinkwrap is in bad enough shape that it isn't very convincing anymore. In fact I've questioned it myself. As such it doesn't feel like much of a loss to just finish tearing it open. Only reason it's still sealed is because I haven't gotten to the point of being ready to use it yet.

Reply 6 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends. Personally if I am either curious about opening it (if I want to experience it!) or just plain need one that I am sure is still alright (with just the boards you can't know what the previous woners did to it), then I'd say go ahead and open it.

If you might want to sell it later on then it's obvious you shoudl leave it as is.

But to me, what good is keeping it sealed and never cure my curiosity for a bit more money if the same money is, say, one week of work at your job?

But if you open it, record it! I mean, I've opened packages before. Granted, it was some kind of IBM software or so, but that smell! The idea that you are the very first one to actually touch it (I could add some more sentimental stuff but I'm sure you understand my point by now 😉) and know for kinda 100% sure that it's complete...saving how many days of extra work at your job is worth you to miss this rare experience?

And others kinda mentioned it, it's not a very extremely rare card anyway.

For the record, this is how I think about this. I'm not in retro computing for the money, in the end to me it's about experiencing it! 😁
And do record it! You might regret not having recorded your box opening afterwards 😜

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If I imagine how much money my sealed Star Wars toys would be worth... And then knowing the joy I had unpacking them and playing with them...
Unbox it 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 15, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatever makes you happy OP. Personally I think having unused hardware is kind of sad 🙁 These things were made to be used and enjoyed, but that AWE card never was. Personally I couldn't help myself and I would open it and run it at least a little... so it could have served it's purpose. Then again having it unopened is also kind of cool.

Reply 9 of 15, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience as long as you keep the box in good condition you won't lose that much value by opening it. You can always close it back up and the buyer will get most of the experience.

Reply 10 of 15, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all for advice. As I do not want to sell it, I did end up opening it. And yes I did film the opening. Everything inside was sealed individually as well, the driver disks, the application CD as well as the 2 games. Very nice experience, I must admit, I would have missed that. I will keep in the box for now and preserve it (as well as its contents).

Btw, the card passed the visual inspection. I almost never seen a vintage card of that age so clean and shiny, unbelievable.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 11 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good on you!

I remember opening the Pentium III NIB, that was pretty cool. I use the processor quite a bit, and it always brings a smile on my face knowing I'm the first owner 😀

But usually I just go for the products, without any boxes. It's cheaper and I don't have the space for boxed stuff. A few exceptions though. I have thrown out packaging before too 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

If I imagine how much money my sealed Star Wars toys would be worth... And then knowing the joy I had unpacking them and playing with them...
Unbox it 😉

This

Screw the haters. Toys (and let's face it, these are our toys) want to be played with!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 15, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sure like hardware more than boxes, even shiny retail boxes. 🤣

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladstamate wrote:

Thank you all for advice. As I do not want to sell it, I did end up opening it. And yes I did film the opening. Everything inside was sealed individually as well, the driver disks, the application CD as well as the 2 games. Very nice experience, I must admit, I would have missed that. I will keep in the box for now and preserve it (as well as its contents).

Btw, the card passed the visual inspection. I almost never seen a vintage card of that age so clean and shiny, unbelievable.

Nice! Hope you liked the experience! 😁

Yes, it's awesome to have something that old, but so new at the same time. Opening a box of something this old is a bit like a time-machine! 😁
At least, I had this experience a few times like when I opened the package of my NIB ss7 ATX board (one made by MSI) and everything is still sealed in those little tiny bags and tearing off those warning stickers 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 15, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always say, if you're going to use it, open it. It isn't doing anyone any good in the box and I've always thought it probably wasn't good for the component either.

I very much enjoyed opening my VL-BUS Ethernet Card.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)