VOGONS

First post, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I'm having a weird problem with my old CRT monitor that I use for my old 95 gaming system.

Basically, it works perfectly but then it randomly begins to flicker with large horizontal bars moving up/down the screen.
It looks similar to a TV with bad vertical hold settings and it becomes almost impossible to use the PC as I can't make anything out.

The strange thing I find is that to fix this problem, I have to just twiddle the power cable going into the back of the monitor and it goes back to normal.

I've opened up the monitor casing and the power supply jack isn't look on the PCB so I don't think it's that.

Can anybody suggest what the problem could be and if there's anything I can do to fix it?

This is quite an old monitor, the original that has been in my family since 1996 or something and I really don't want to have to throw it out.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a thought, do you think it could be a PSU issue? The power supply for the monitor comes from a cable that is plugged into the PSU of the computer itself.

Its a Fujitsu ICL monitor by the way.

Reply 4 of 10, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I'd follow up on this as I finally got around to checking for cold-solder joints today.
I know... 4 years... been quite busy but finally decided to investigate the flickering monitor issue.

Had a look around on the PCB of the monitor and it looks like there were a few cold solder joints around the VGA socket - both on the prongs that secure the socket to the motherboard and the pins themselves.
Have now gone around all these and reflowed them and added a touch more solder. Tested, all working OK.

The monitor has been on for hours now and hasn't flickered once.
I would be happy saying this is solved but I'll keep testing to be sure.

For anyone who stumbled across this issue (maybe 1 in a billion) and thought a cold-solder joint wasn't worth investigating - do it, it's worth a shot.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There will probably be more cold solder joints in the future, so it's probably not a waste 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I inspected the entire board and all the other joints looked spotlessly clean and healthy.
Just the ones around the VGA port appeared to have visibly cracked.

At the very least I like to think I've possibly broken a record for thread revival here.
This of course means I will now be spending the next 4 years reliving my childhood after installing all my old games.

Thanks of course to h-a-l-9000 for the pointer 4 years ago.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gigagator wrote:
I inspected the entire board and all the other joints looked spotlessly clean and healthy. Just the ones around the VGA port app […]
Show full quote

I inspected the entire board and all the other joints looked spotlessly clean and healthy.

At the very least I like to think I've possibly broken a record for thread revival here.
This of course means I will now be spending the next 4 years reliving my childhood after installing all my old games.

Thread revival is ok in cases like this one 😉
I prefer it to someone having some problem and then disappearing without ever telling how things ended up 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gigagator wrote:
I inspected the entire board and all the other joints looked spotlessly clean and healthy. Just the ones around the VGA port app […]
Show full quote

If the solder joints were cracked, it almost certainly was due to mechanical stress, not cold solders. Maybe the VGA cable's been strained, someone yanked it by mistake at some point, or something like that. Cold solders would just come loose from the pins, solder pads, etc, without cracking.

There's probably no need at all to worry about the other joints 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

If the solder joints were cracked, it almost certainly was due to mechanical stress, not cold solders. Maybe the VGA cable's been strained, someone yanked it by mistake at some point, or something like that. Cold solders would just come loose from the pins, solder pads, etc, without cracking.

There's probably no need at all to worry about the other joints 😀

That would make sense in many ways. That monitor spent many years being mishandled and tossed in and out of the attic and around various rooms.
There is an issue with a faint vertical line on the left side of the monitor but it's barely noticeable most of the time so I can live with that.