VOGONS

Abit KA7 motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've been digging through my collection of parts and I found today an Abit KA7 motherboard which has the worst case of capacitor plague I've ever seen, practically everyone has leaked or is on the verge. My question is though is it worth recovering it? I'm not sure what Athlon it has fitted but its slot A (my only one that uses this) and has a neat little board attached to the top which I can see says innovatek and about 6 jumpers on the front, anyone know what this is for?

Reply 1 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd fix it. Slot A stuff isn't verry common.

Reply 2 of 6, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1 for repair.

The small innovatek board is most likely the so-called goldfinger device - it allows you to change Athlon multiplier (maybe also voltage and L2 cache divider) to get better overclock. Very rare thing. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 6, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll put it aside for repairs then. Drowning in motherboards at the moment but this one caught my eye as its the only Slot A I've got and have indeed seen since the early 2000's!

Will post up pics in the future once its up and running! 😀

Cool to know about the innovatek board, I'll have to see what I can find out about the settings once I get it up and running!

Reply 4 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ABit stuff is cool, even though it usually needs caps replaced. That board plus goldfinger is pretty iconic of the hardware that gamers/overclockers were into at that moment of history.
If it doesn't appeal to you then I bet you could get a good price for it online (after repair).

Reply 5 of 6, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still miss Abit. I've had a softspot for them for years, yet every board I had from them died within 1-2 years. My old IC7-MAX 3 was my favorite P4 mobo, but it cooked itself. Between their bad caps and bad thermal management, they dug a massive hole to bury themselves in. At least most of their boards used bad electrolytic capacitors and they are easy to replace. I think there were a few that had some nasty SMD caps, but few and far between. The KA7 was a fantastic board and if the damage is only on the soldermasking of the mobo, then its well worth an afternoon cleaning and replacing the caps. If you see corrosion on any pads though, or it looks like the mask is bulging, its best to send it off for repair (costly to say the least) or at the least sell it as a parts / repair board. Please dont toss it if its in really rough shape.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, indeed bitd I did rock several abit boards and I still have my KT7 board although it also has capacitor plague!

I think the KA7 is recoverable as It seems it was removed from service in time and the caps have only just started to leak. Not sure I'm confident enough to take it on so will have to find someone to take up the challenge!

I had some great progress today as I contacted Innovatek via their contact page (in german) and they managed to pull out the manual for their goldfinger device so If I get it up and running I can now set it up correctly 😀

I tend to keep hardware even if its broken, probably why the garage is overflowing in boxes of I.T at the moment!!!! 😎