VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I think that my GA-6VTXE is almost useless as it freezes randomly when just opening games or copying files over from a USB. I think I have traced this problem down to the caps. Now, is there anyway (cheaply) to solder new caps on the board without any current soldering hardware?

Reply 1 of 3, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

buy a soldering iron, they are cheap. A weller 25-35 watt job should do. cut the old caps out, it will make desoldering them a breeze, but do it one at a time and be sure to mark the polarity with a sharpie or something.

Reply 2 of 3, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

So, I think that my GA-6VTXE is almost useless as it freezes randomly when just opening games or copying files over from a USB. I think I have traced this problem down to the caps. Now, is there anyway (cheaply) to solder new caps on the board without any current soldering hardware?

A soldering iron is cheap, I don't know of a way to solder caps that is any cheaper. A cheap soldering iron + some solder will probably set you back 10-15$ depending on where you live. A decent soldering station is about 25-40$. If you only do the occasional soldering, buy a cheap chinese one.

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

A soldering iron is cheap, I don't know of a way to solder caps that is any cheaper. A cheap soldering iron + some solder will probably set you back 10-15$ depending on where you live. A decent soldering station is about 25-40$. If you only do the occasional soldering, buy a cheap chinese one.

Preferably see if you can find a used unit. Hakko, Weller, and Pace are all excellent makes which will last forever. If you can find one of the entry level stations for a price similar to the Chinese clones, you'll be set for almost anything you want to do in the future.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder