VOGONS

First post, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I am not able to find the complete jumper setting of this board.
It posts but doesn't boot (does not find the IDE and Floppy Controller).
Wrong jumper settings might be the reason.

Can anyone help me?
This page does not show all setting unfortunately: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/tk8880.htm

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2016-02-09, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board doesn't have onboard floppy or IDE controllers so why would it have jumpers for them?
If you don't have an add-in card with those controllers it isn't finding any because there aren't any there.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-02-04, 00:48. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tk8880j.jpg

tk8880d.jpg

Seems pretty complete to me.😀 What jumper settings are you missing?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moturimi1 wrote:
Unfortunately I am not able to find the complete jumper setting of this board. It posts but doesn't boot (find the IDE and Flopp […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately I am not able to find the complete jumper setting of this board.
It posts but doesn't boot (find the IDE and Floppy Controller).
A wrong jumper setting might be the reason.

Can anyone help me?
This page does not show all setting unfortunately: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/tk8880.htm

I couldn't find it in th99. Most modern Chicony 486 board listed in th99 has only VLB slots and yours is probably more recent (doesn't have to be more recent) as it also had PCI slots but at any rate th99 doesn't seem to list any Chicony boards with any PCI slots.
It's possible however the board is listed under another model name by another manufacturer but one would have to visually go through all the pics to see if there's any similar looking ones. Problem with this is that such "twin" boards may have differences like alternate jumper settings.

I'll go see if I can find any twins on th99.

Here's a site with a clear pic though http://www.amoretro.de/2011/04/chicony-tk8880 … otherboard.html and google seems to have more hits with your mainboard model number.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 17, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot for all the replys.

To make it clear: I know that the board has no IDE and Floppy ports.
But when I plug in a ISA Controller the system does not boot. This often happens when there is an iussue with the jumper settings!

The pictures on motherboards.mbarron.net do not show all jumper settings. And unfortunately the identification of the jumpers are not easy.
There also seems to be a jumper setting for the different voltage settings, that are not available.
No one wants to fry the CPU, right?

Anyhow, hopefully one still has the full documentation of the board.

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2016-02-09, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should be looking for jumpers and settings on the controller card then.
May also have to fiddle with IRQ/DMA in the BIOS. (Been too long for me. Someone else should advise.)
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/pciSettings-c.html
http://ccm.net/contents/394-hardware-interrup … q-and-conflicts
If the controller card is PnP-only you may be in for a hassle.

The jumper settings shown on the back side of the board in the biggest table are for CPU setup and include the voltage settings for whatever CPU.
The FSB (Clock Multiplier) is the smaller table at the bottom.
Exactly what jumpers are you worried about.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 17, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

The jumper settings shown on the back side of the board in the biggest table are for CPU setup and include the voltage settings for whatever CPU.

No the voltage Jumpers are not shown (JP36-JP40)
I would also like to know what JX1 is.

Reply 9 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moturimi1 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

No the voltage Jumpers are not shown (JP36-JP40)
I would also like to know what JX1 is.

I already told you were your voltage jumpers are. They are all there.
If you don't want to believe me (or the others that told you) then get out your multimeter and trace the circuits.
It's not that hard on boards that old.
I would like to know if I'm wrong.
Evidently JP36-JP40 and JX1 are undocumented (on a board that is unusually well marked with settings) so I suspect they are "reserved" or "factory use only" type jumpers.
Also, evidently, you are the only one with this board at this time so you are the only one that can figure it out.

Reply 10 of 17, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made a pdf file of the relevant sections of the PT2066 mainboard manual. Someone should add it to the database.

@ PCBONEZ Please stop giving advices related to hardware you are not familiar with !

Attachments

• Filename
    PT2066.pdf
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BastlerMike wrote:

@ PCBONEZ Please stop giving advices related to hardware you are not familiar with !

@BastlerMike,
Unlike some people I know enough about hardware to figure out jumper settings without having a manual. My background is electronics.

This thread was here a week before you showed up and there was no hint ANYONE with a manual would EVER show up.
In the vacuum you created by being slow I chose to try and help the guy anyway.
I was trying to help. You weren't even here.
You have no room to be making pompous ass statements like you just did.

To help him would require effort on his part to be our hands and eyes and apparently he's not even willing to go that far.
Didn't even post photos of the problem board.

Reply 12 of 17, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shame on me for being slow, kudos to you for being a wise man. Being an electronics expert doesn't mean that all your interpretations and suggestions are true and helpful for any particular problem.

You say: "The jumper settings shown on the back side of the board in the biggest table are for CPU setup and include the voltage settings for whatever CPU."

Why are you doing that? This table says nothing about voltage settings. You don't exactly know, but you are presenting your assumptions as facts. This is not helpful !

Reply 13 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BastlerMike wrote:

Shame on me for being slow, kudos to you for being a wise man. Being an electronics expert doesn't mean that all your interpretations and suggestions are true and helpful for any particular problem.

You say: "The jumper settings shown on the back side of the board in the biggest table are for CPU setup and include the voltage settings for whatever CPU."

Why are you doing that? This table says nothing about voltage settings. You don't exactly know, but you are presenting your assumptions as facts. This is not helpful !

I also said "I would like to know if I'm wrong." and "I suspect they are...."
So your evaluation is bullshit.

Reply 14 of 17, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BastlerMike wrote:

I made a pdf file of the relevant sections of the PT2066 mainboard manual. Someone should add it to the database.

Thank you so much. You helped me and solved all my questions.

PCBONEZ wrote:

Unlike some people I know enough about hardware to figure out jumper settings without having a manual. My background is electronics

I have more than a lot of experience nowadays with old computer hardware to analyze major hardware issues on my own.

Anyhow I was correct that JP36-JP40 and JX1 have something to do with the voltage settings.
And the jumper settings on the "back of the board" do not show all settings; e.g. Intel DX4 and AMD DX4 and 5x86 are missing.

I think it would be best to use expressions like "I guess" when one is not 100% sure...
Of cause this misunderstanding could be related to the fact that I am not a native English speaker and that I was not able to formulate a precise question or request.

Anyhow, I think it does not make sense to argue here on the forum.
In the end my problem was solved due to the memebers of VOGONS. So thanks to everyone who was willing to help me

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2016-02-11, 08:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went from Electronics to Nuclear Engineering then to QA Inspector. Computer work is to keep busy after I retired.
I've been doing component level motherboard repair for over a decade.
I'm happy to help people not that advanced in that area but I'm not going to take lip from them.
You can find voltage settings easily with a multimeter and looking up the chips the pins go to on the web.
The circuits are not hard.
If you don't have a multimeter I would get one. A basic (cheap) one is fine for circuit tracing.

Your original problem was booting IDE/Floppy. - Did you work that out?

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-02-09, 23:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats!