VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all. I have a Socket 7 machine running Windows 98SE. I just got a Quickshot QS-201 joystick, but the system can't detect it.

So, I figure, that the problem is that even though my Vibra 16XV CT4170 produces sound with default Windows drivers, some of it components (including the Gameport) aren't configured. I have two "Unsupported devices" listed in Windows Device Manager, and I guess, Gameport is one of them.

My next step is downloading TheMAN's SB16 and AWE Compilation CD and pointing Windows Device Manager to WIN9XDRV folder. However, it only installs the core driver from the disk. After reboot, I still have the sound working, but the unsupported devices are still there. If I try to point them to the same folder, Windows can't find a proper driver.

What do I do? Thanks!

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-02-10, 21:10. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 12, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I recently configured DOS mode for a Vibra 16 under Win9x, and found that the most appropiate drivers (at least, in my case) for these sound cards under Win9x are the sbw9xup update. You can download it form our mate's philscomputerlab webpage (http://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-awe64-gold.html).

After that, you will find your sound devices with an 'updated' driver from Creative dated 12-10-1997. In this case is an AWE64, but for the CT4170 I used the same driver pack and worked just fine!

1zyx4jm.jpg

Reply 2 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, it worked to some extent. Meaning, I don't have an unsupported device anymore, but the joystick still can't be detected, and the entry says Gameport Joystick instead of Creative Gameport Joystick.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 12, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

Hm, it worked to some extent. Meaning, I don't have an unsupported device anymore, but the joystick still can't be detected, and the entry says Gameport Joystick instead of Creative Gameport Joystick.

Does it refer to this driver (Driver provider: Creative, Date: 1997) under the Driver tab? I suppose you reset your computer at least one time. Anyway, I don't remember the specific name of the device for the Vibra card (i can´t try it right now 😀)

Last edited by mmx_91 on 2016-02-10, 21:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are the full specs of the machine? Do you have any onboard audio solution? If so, did you disable both the onboard chip and the onboard gameport+MPU (sometimes they could be disabled separately)?

Reply 6 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

What are the full specs of the machine? Do you have any onboard audio solution? If so, did you disable both the onboard chip and the onboard gameport+MPU (sometimes they could be disabled separately)?

- Pentium MMX 200, overclocked to 250 MHz;
- 64 MB SDRAM;
- S3 Virge 325;
- VooDoo 2 V-1000;
- Vibra 16XV CT4170;
- 40+80 GB HDD;
- 52X CD-RW;
- 100MB NIC.

The motherboard is AOpen AP5T, there is no integrated sound solution

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Can you get it to work on pure DOS mode? If you can't that the issue might not be the Windows drivers to begin with.

What do I need to get the joystick working under DOS? It does not come with any drivers and I'm not sure it needs them

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 12, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to phil's page again and get the files under the "MS-DOS of Windows 9x" section. I know you must run CTCM to initialize a PnP SoundBlaster under DOS, and then you can run DIAGNOSE to see if its alright.

Reply 10 of 12, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Back to the driver issue, I found that if I let Windows to automatically install drivers for the 'Gameport Joystick' device, it chooses the Microsoft one by default. I had to manually choose the Creative one from C:\Windows\Inf\SB16AWE.inf to make the system recognise it with the driver you just downloaded.

I don't now if it will work in this case, I don't have any gameport joystick here to try...

Reply 11 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used a Vibra 16 recently, the card got detected automatically, but I did also install the Creative driver updates. I didn't test the joystick however. The start-up sound was a bit distorted, but I didn't do any more tests.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 12, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

looking at what u wrote my first thought is:
try removing the overclock untill u get everything installed properly
in my experience overclocks always have the possiblity of introducing strange behaviours

i just recently installed a vibra16 on my 386DX40 and yes i could not use the card at all untill i ran CTCU + CTCM but mine was a CT2960 vibra card
i downloaded the drivers from vogons drivers the disks for DOS it was 2 disks.. i think i only needed one of the two disks tho

if the joystick isnt being detected - wouldnt that most likely be because whoever used the card last had disabled the joystick port in CTCM + CTCU?

but win95 + win98 are pnp operating systems.. to configure it properly CTCU + CTCM in dos i think u would have to reserve the IRQs in the bios for the Legacy ISA Bus so that win95/98 doesnt take control of those resources for its own pnp management.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP