VOGONS

memory issues

Topic actions

First post, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

still having problems with motherboard, only this time its ram. when I reseat the ram, something run the entire 128mb. Other times it will hit around 86~87mb then jump to the 128mb. tried three sticks (all edo). As of now it will read all ram but when I try to go to bios, it freezes I am at my wits end on this. Going to run memtest 86 on it. even if no errors show up, my bios even windows will crash. I've order some new ram this time samsung edo. Hopefully it will work without fail. are there any ideas what I could do?

Reply 1 of 6, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What motherboard brand and model are You talking about?
If it is a 486 motherboard, a lot do not support 72pin EDO ram, just Fast page.
The fact that You are talking about EDO indicates either a late 486 motherboard or a Pentium 1 era motherboard.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 6, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Specs, Windows version, and what programs do you have on it?

Reply 3 of 6, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its a ga586hx(which is a Pentium mobo) and using windows 98.

Reply 4 of 6, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cnpr wrote:

its a ga586hx(which is a Pentium mobo) and using windows 98.

Anything installed?

Reply 5 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He's having a problem at POST and it even freezes in the BIOS setup, where the OS and software aren't yet in the picture.

Make absolutely sure that every jumper is set correctly. Voltages, clocks and bus dividers could be causing this.
If you have a multimeter, try measuring voltages (you can measure the PSU's 5v and 12v rails from the molex connectors, other measurements are more difficult but do them if you know how).
If you can get it to run memtest86 then definitely do that.
Try setting the jumpers/BIOS to very conservative settings, and even consider underclocking the CPU and FSB. Remove some of the RAM and other unnecessary components. If lightening the load like this makes it more stable, but no one particular component can be blamed for the change, then it could be a power problem (not necessarily the PSU - it could also be bad power regulation on the motherboard).
Gigabyte used bad capacitors in the P2-P4 eras, not sure if their caps on this board were any good or not. Check if any are bulged.
If none are bulged, that doesn't necessarily mean they're okay but they become a lesser suspect.
Does it behave better when it's warm? Failing caps sometimes work better as they heat up.

Reply 6 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have another board to test the ram? Sometimes it is not the ram that is bad but the board is being very picky. Try cleaning the contacts on both the ram and maybe the ram slots.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.