VOGONS

First post, by paulisthebest3uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI. Have an old 486 IBM dx2-50 and no matter what I do I can't select DMA 1 in CTCU.exe. I can select 0 and 3 but I think some games require it to be set as 1. It says DMA 1 used by sysem. I tried disabling both serial ports and the parallel port no change. IF anyone can help?

Reply 4 of 6, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I take it this is a PS/2 system? They are more advanced than regular PC clones.
They have various DMA-capable devices on board, such as serial port, parallel port and harddisk controller.
I haven't been able to find any info on which DMA channels would be used by those devices, or whether this can be disabled or not.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 6, by paulisthebest3uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah i thought that. Im not sure if its PS/2 System, its definetley IBM. GOt the markings 350-486 on the front with a slide left to right cover. Weirdly CTCU.exe will run through the tests even DMA1 as success if you do the TEST from within the utility. But when you exit the utility it complains, and if you try and run CTCM it alters it which is rather annoying 🤣. Its such a shame because a DOS computer without DOS generic soundblaster capable settings isnt going to be all that useful to me... sigh. Im thinking about trying a non-pnp card just in case the bios can reserve it that way......

Reply 6 of 6, by paulisthebest3uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

addon to my previous post: Disabling all serial ports, parallel ports have been to no avail, as changing jumper on ECP. AS for onboard ide i dont think its possible to disable it (which would be a nice option as i have an ide controller card)