Topic actions

Reply 11360 of 53038, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Just won an auction for a Pentium Overdrive 200MMX for $18.16 shipped. Considering how rare these are on ebay (the only "Buy Now" one I could find up to now was $49), I'm happy.

Grats that was a nice deal! 😀

Thanks. I forgot I had a $12.88 credit for the DOA graphics card I just got, so my out of pocket was $5.28. 😲

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11361 of 53038, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just arrived in the mail is another Toshiba plasma screen portable for my collection! 😊

IMG_20160401_130700792.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160401_130700792.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File comment
Full System
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20160401_130713826.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160401_130713826.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File comment
Case Logo
File license
IMG_20160401_130808566.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160401_130808566.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File comment
Product Labels
File license

486DX-33, 4MB RAM, 200MB hard drive. It tries to boot into Windows 98, but only makes it as far as the Command Prompt because every file in the Windows directory has been deleted (Perhaps a half-assed attempt to wipe the hard drive?).

Unfortunately, it has issues. The screen doesn't want to work until after it has warmed up, then once it finally does become readable, it strobes horrendously, almost like the screen is rapidly turning on and off at about 8Hz or so. A fix for it, if possible, is beyond my current abilities unfortunately. But, as rare as the later plasma-screen Toshiba portables are, this'll likely be the only plasma-screen 6400 I ever find, so it'll have to do. 😵

Reply 11362 of 53038, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really Retro but some of its old

buying.JPG
Filename
buying.JPG
File size
58.96 KiB
Views
File license

To brand my old and new machines

I really wanted to find one of the old FX 5900 Case badges but I can't find them anywhere, maybe if i can find an image of it in good quality ill get one made some day 🤣.

Reply 11363 of 53038, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:
Today came another package. Between other pieces come this ancient beauty, a Tyan Tiger 100 motherboard with dual P-III @ 500Mhz […]
Show full quote

Today came another package. Between other pieces come this ancient beauty, a Tyan Tiger 100 motherboard with dual P-III @ 500Mhz and an Evans & Sutherland Lightning 1200 AGP graphic card:

x42j2g.jpg

A close-up of the motherboard:
5mxv2b.jpg

And the graphic card, this thing is HUGE:
16k52ro.jpg

With it come a 256MB very low density ECC memory module, but it doesn't work; right now it has 768MB noECC memory that I have lying around (the four modules you can see int the photo) and works like a charm.
It's checked up to boot-up; later I'm going to install Windows 2000, and then I'll try some games to see how they run in what was high end hardware in its time 🤣 .
After that, who knows, I love retro computing but I'm not a retro-collector per se, so probably I'll try to sell it.

Well, I finally installed Windows 2K in this thing and it works like a charm. The graphic card only works with OpenGL (absolutely no Directx) but is fast (for its time) and has pretty good VGA quality. Also,a blast form the past 🤣

IMG_20160401_135820595_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160401_135820595_HDR.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

I don't have time or space to use it, so I'm going to sell it after all, but I don't know what is a good price for this items. Can someone give me an idea of how much is worth? (if asking this is against some rule tell me and I'll delete it asap)

Reply 11364 of 53038, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a few Slot 1 cpus this week. A Celeron 300A plus Pentium 2s in 266, 350 and 400.

slot1s.jpg
Filename
slot1s.jpg
File size
122.01 KiB
Views
File license

Now I can upgrade my Pentium 2 machine from a pitiful 350 MHz to a speedy 400 MHz!

Reply 11365 of 53038, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:

Picked up a few Slot 1 cpus this week. A Celeron 300A plus Pentium 2s in 266, 350 and 400.

slot1s.jpg

Now I can upgrade my Pentium 2 machine from a pitiful 350 MHz to a speedy 400 MHz!

why, put the 300A in, set FSB to 100 and smoke that P2 400

Reply 11366 of 53038, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:

slot1s.jpg

Yeah, great overclocker that Celeron 300mhz - I can remember almost all of them reaching 450mhz, but some of them managed the impressive result of 600mhz, also!

Reply 11367 of 53038, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Indrid Cold wrote:

Yeah, great overclocker that Celeron 300mhz - I can remember almost all of them reaching 450mhz, but some of them managed the impressive result of 600mhz, also!

candle_86 wrote:

Yeah, I've had a 300A since new back in the 90s, it runs at 450 easily enough, but I'd prefer a P2 400 running stock than pushing 20 year old hardware too hard.

Reply 11368 of 53038, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:

candle_86 wrote:

Yeah, I've had a 300A since new back in the 90s, it runs at 450 easily enough, but I'd prefer a P2 400 running stock than pushing 20 year old hardware too hard.

This is acceptable, but I would not be surprised to see live longer these "computing artifacts" of many of those in the present time...

Reply 11369 of 53038, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today at the local flea market:

Aztec 2320 isa card. Boring, but it was just 2$. Too much, maybe, but want to compare it with my new SB cards (its an OPL3 clone, they say).

Even more boring: Ati 3d Rage II 4mb for 2$.

Nothing more. When I ask about 486 era hw they look at me like I'm nuts 😀. Most probably I am.

Reply 11370 of 53038, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just snagged this lot for more than I would normally spend on untested old stuff ($52 shipped)... but look at this. 😀

(Seller's pictures)

s-l5001.jpg
Filename
s-l5001.jpg
File size
41.04 KiB
Views
File license
s-l5002.jpg
Filename
s-l5002.jpg
File size
40.68 KiB
Views
File license
s-l5003.jpg
Filename
s-l5003.jpg
File size
42.77 KiB
Views
File license

Parts from an old arcade machine. Looks like a pair of Quantum3D cards, obviously meant for arcade use as they have no VGA pass through. The one on the right actually looks like a Voodoo 3 to me, which I believe were quite uncommon in arcade machines... once I get them I may be able to tell if this is just a normal PC card that happened to get lumped in with arcade parts or if it is actually something special. The board in the back is the main board with the PCI slots on the edges to connect the Voodoo cards. Seller says there is no BIOS. I have absolutely NO experience with arcade machines, so I'll likely only be able to test the video cards. They hardly ever go bad though. I think I peed a little when I found this last night... kind of like the Voodoo 5 5500 PCI the other day... and the Quantum 3D Raven... 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11371 of 53038, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:
Today at the local flea market: […]
Show full quote

Today at the local flea market:

Aztec 2320 isa card. Boring, but it was just 2$. Too much, maybe, but want to compare it with my new SB cards (its an OPL3 clone, they say).

Even more boring: Ati 3d Rage II 4mb for 2$.

Nothing more. When I ask about 486 era hw they look at me like I'm nuts 😀. Most probably I am.

I thought Aztech's OPL3 chip was licensed tech?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11372 of 53038, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Just snagged this lot for more than I would normally spend on untested old stuff ($52 shipped)... but look at this. :) […]
Show full quote

Just snagged this lot for more than I would normally spend on untested old stuff ($52 shipped)... but look at this. 😀

(Seller's pictures)

s-l5001.jpg
s-l5002.jpg
s-l5003.jpg

Parts from an old arcade machine. Looks like a pair of Quantum3D cards, obviously meant for arcade use as they have no VGA pass through. The one on the right actually looks like a Voodoo 3 to me, which I believe were quite uncommon in arcade machines... once I get them I may be able to tell if this is just a normal PC card that happened to get lumped in with arcade parts or if it is actually something special. The board in the back is the main board with the PCI slots on the edges to connect the Voodoo cards. Seller says there is no BIOS. I have absolutely NO experience with arcade machines, so I'll likely only be able to test the video cards. They hardly ever go bad though. I think I peed a little when I found this last night... kind of like the Voodoo 5 5500 PCI the other day... and the Quantum 3D Raven... 🤣

Nice score, just be sure to check for missing SMD caps and resistors especially on that Quantum3d obsidian2. You can with some luck find brackets that will match these cards 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11373 of 53038, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Veni, vidi, vici.

Just came to Buenos Aires and got this from the local ads (MercadoLibre):
TKUOCUyh.jpg

However I should admit that the assortment of retro hardware that is available here leaves much to be desired when compared even to Russian stock...

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 11374 of 53038, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this Pentium 4 system from work a while back. We usually only have dull boxes, but this one was bought as a one-off for something specific (not sure what actually). It's in a nice case (forgot to take a picture) and was clean. Disassembled and stored for a future build!

CPU is a 1.8GHz, 2x 512MB RAM, HDD sounds like a coffee grinder but it boots into Windows XP.

yHauEdcl.jpg

LAxOXJBl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 11375 of 53038, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Nice score, just be sure to check for missing SMD caps and resistors especially on that Quantum3d obsidian2. You can with some luck find brackets that will match these cards 😉

Absolutely. I check cards over pretty thoroughly these days. I've managed to fix any damaged motherboards and cards that I've come across that were worth fixing, so even if there's damage, I can probably fix it with some help... as long as its a common and identifiable component.

I have a whole pile of the little 16v SMD aluminum caps that it seems like every video card from this era used... they bust off extremely easily. I have a 12MB STB Voodoo 2 and a Diamond Riva 128 waiting to have a few soldered back on as well.

Reply 11376 of 53038, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My latest eBay find arrived today. I'm really looking forward to having a play with this:

Ijc9hYRl.jpg?1

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11377 of 53038, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:
Veni, vidi, vici. […]
Show full quote

Veni, vidi, vici.

Just came to Buenos Aires and got this from the local ads (MercadoLibre):
TKUOCUyh.jpg

However I should admit that the assortment of retro hardware that is available here leaves much to be desired when compared even to Russian stock...

Makes me green with envy!
Awesome a Pinnacle with Homac Board. This one is really rare! I do love the Kurzweil synths.

Finally I have a AVM Summit (belonged to Cloudschatze before) and it has definately a different sound than any other soundcard with Kurzweil synth.
AVM Apex and Turtle Beach Pinnacle are far different from AVM summit regarding General Midi. This means the Summit have a different GM ROM content.

Reply 11378 of 53038, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sutekh94 wrote:
My latest eBay find arrived today. I'm really looking forward to having a play with this: […]
Show full quote

My latest eBay find arrived today. I'm really looking forward to having a play with this:

Ijc9hYRl.jpg?1

I think I had that on my watch list. It went really cheap didn't it? 😀

Reply 11379 of 53038, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I think I had that on my watch list. It went really cheap didn't it? 😀

Yeah, something like $5 + $7 shipping. By the way, it does seem to work from what limited testing I've done with it!

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt