Topic actions

Reply 11420 of 53082, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
I'm quite excited with my new motherboard that has just arrived to my office: […]
Show full quote

I'm quite excited with my new motherboard that has just arrived to my office:

it's an A-Trend ATC-1452B with my favourite i486 DX2 66mhz onboard.

I'm overly impressed wit the quality I'm facing here. It seems more solid than my previous ZIDA 4DPS.

<snip>
I'll use it with my new build with:

- IBM 5x86c-100 (blue heatsink!)
- 32mb RAM (4x8)
- SOUND BLASTER AWE32 C2760 + Yamaha daughterboard (just got one on my local auction service) + SB PRO 2
- CF card + 20gb Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
- Number Nine Motion 331 (S3 Trio 64 based) 4mb;
- This AT case (seems like early 90's to me. Love the switch on the side!): <snip>;
- Chicony KB-5191 mechanical keyboard ('88)

Not sure about the CRT. IBM PS/2 would be prepared.
Hope you like it.

My only dislike is if you put a heatsink and/or fan on that cpu (I know most folks say they don't need it... I still cool all my 486's anyway) then all your pci slots are blocked by it. So no voodoo2 in windows 95 with a fast 133 chip on that board.

Also.. your 5.25" floppy drive is upside down 😁

Hmm... what about liquid cooling? A water block isn't that high. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11421 of 53082, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikoellner wrote:
I'm quite excited with my new motherboard that has just arrived to my office: […]
Show full quote

I'm overly impressed wit the quality I'm facing here. It seems more solid than my previous ZIDA 4DPS.

29yikug.jpg

Very nice board, but what's with the option for an auxiliary molex connector? I've only seen once before, and that was on my old MSI AM2 board.

Reply 11422 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:
Show full quote

29yikug.jpg

I'll use it with my new build with:

- IBM 5x86c-100 (blue heatsink!)
- 32mb RAM (4x8)
- SOUND BLASTER AWE32 C2760 + Yamaha daughterboard (just got one on my local auction service) + SB PRO 2
- CF card + 20gb Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
- Number Nine Motion 331 (S3 Trio 64 based) 4mb;
- This AT case (seems like early 90's to me. Love the switch on the side!): 2q09fr7.jpg;
- Chicony KB-5191 mechanical keyboard ('88)

Not sure about the CRT. IBM PS/2 would be prepared.
Hope you like it.

The 486/Isa-stuff are cool. Congrat's on them. Yet the case... That is a total awesomme hotness.
I would really love a case like that for my 386 system (packed in antistatic bags and stored in a box as of now)
I might be able to source some kind of AT-Case in the near future. Hope it's a desktop.
That would really be awesomme, as I never owned such case in the early 90's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11423 of 53082, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@kithylin

I'm going to use IBM 5x86 as it looks supercool to me (apart from purely utilitarian reasons).

But I'm not planning even to install Win95 on my machine. Actually, I'm going to stick with pure dos 6.22, so I don't mind that Voodoo 2 would be hard to fit (still, one of the slots seems not to collide with the long cards)

And yes, I know that this IBM 5x86 CPU is an overkill considering my purposes (~1989-1995 games), but I just had to have it as I just love the looks. Still, maybe I'll leave my I486 DX2 on this build, as it seems more consequent.

BTW - how much guys do you feel it's OK to pay for Yamaha DB50XG? I have an offer here, but I'm not sure if its worth 60 USD.

Reply 11424 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:

BTW - how much guys do you feel it's OK to pay for Yamaha DB50XG? I have an offer here, but I'm not sure if its worth 60 USD.

I don't think you will find it cheaper, if it is working. (We are talking about a daughterboard right?)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11425 of 53082, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have already posted the sellers picture of this new old stock boxed Soundblaster 2.0 clone I bought but here are some better pictures.

The TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 "Sound Machine". There is a 3.5" install floppy hidden under the manual.

TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine box.JPG
Filename
TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine box.JPG
File size
4.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine  bundle.JPG
Filename
TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine bundle.JPG
File size
4.32 MiB
Views
File license
TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine card.JPG
Filename
TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 Sound Machine card.JPG
File size
4.31 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11426 of 53082, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up this NOS ASUS A8V-VM socket 939 board recently to go with the Athlon 64 3500+ I bought a while back. A handsome pair:

DSCN3129_zpse53aduvb.jpg

DSCN3111_zpswmr49txs.jpg

DSCN3120_zpsxozrztn6.jpg

DSCN3136_zpsd7eniif1.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11427 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

The TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 "Sound Machine".

Cool - the ole' Quickshot Sound Machine. Never seen one boxed. Got the 1336A chip and no sockets eh? Not that the CMS upgrade would work with that chip..

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11428 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
tikoellner wrote:

I don't think you will find it cheaper, if it is working. (We are talking about a daughterboard right?)

Agreed. $60 is a steal if you ask me for a genuine DB50XG daughterboard. The Roland and Yamaha DBs tend to be $$$.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11429 of 53082, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Cool - the ole' Quickshot Sound Machine. Never seen one boxed. Got the 1336A chip and no sockets eh? Not that the CMS upgrade would work with that chip..

With the 1336A bus interface chip I guess it's better they did not install the sockets.

I need to check what bus interface chip my real Sound Blaster 2.0 has, it has sockets at least.

The seller was the one who broke the shrinkwrap to take pictures for Ebay but it's just as good, now I can use the card.

I taped the shrinkwrap back together for now though. 😁

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11431 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may be getting a PCI one from a trade soon, but as I need a VL-BUS one too, I nabbed this;

scsivlb.jpg

If it doesn't work in its intended board I'll just find something else to install it in. I always liked SCSI and want to play with it before all the drives stop working or become cost prohibitive. All this CF card use has made me miss noisy hard drives more than I already did and there ain't nothing makes more noise than a SCSI Hard Drive.

No cache, but as it's going on a 42MHz system the BUS speed should make up for it a bit. It's not going to matter too much anyway.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2016-04-05, 05:09. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11432 of 53082, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Sweet pair, badmojo! I haven't heared anything good about the stock cooler though. What are your plans?

Thanks mate! Yes it's very noisy and a pain in the bum to install if you have large components close to the clips, which this motherboard does.

But I have no plans for them to be honest - they'll be treated as collectors items until further notice.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11433 of 53082, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!

I found a new house for my 5x86 from the previous post! Going to pick it up today (the seller lives "next door")

It's Colani Tower, which to me looks pretty mint on the photos. Check this out:

http://olx.pl/oferta/komputer-wieza-highscree … html#96ac33c040

The price is 10 USD for the case only, about 20 for the whole computer.

Reply 11435 of 53082, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mainboard.jpg

This "little" guy arrived in the mail today (photo not mine). MSI PRO266TD Master-LR. Probably one of my luckiest deals ever, as the seller probably had 0 idea what the hell this board is. For 20 Euro in total, he even threw in a Celeron 1200 + Cooler as a bonus, I certainly can't complain. 🤣
Capacitors are TEAPO crap, although they all seem to be in great shape, where as all of the smaller, Lelon ones seem to be dead or in terrible condition. Gonna have a real field day recapping this board, but it is 100% worth it.

For those of you who don't know, this is one of the last Socket 370 boards. Based on the Apollo Pro 266T, tt has support for dual CPUs, all the way up to the Tualatin 1.4-S, DDR memory all the way up to 4GB ECC(!), 100MBit Ethernet and even RAID through a Promise ATA100 controller! And to top it all of, it's got an AGP Pro 4X slot, so it can properly run older cards.
Yes, this is a server board and I can't wait to recap this and install a couple of Tualatins and just go nuts.

Reply 11436 of 53082, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Yes, this is a server board and I can't wait to recap this and install a couple of Tualatins and just go nuts.

That thing is mental. A true moment in time encompassing the very best of the end of the socket 370 era. Congrats!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 11437 of 53082, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

<Snip>

No cache, but as it's going on a 42MHz system the BUS speed should make up for it a bit. It's not going to matter too much anyway.

Caching boards are so hard to find anyway. Good luck with this - the presence of the >33MHz jumper is always a welcome sign on a VLB board! Would be interesting to see how it compares with PCI 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 11438 of 53082, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
With the 1336A bus interface chip I guess it's better they did not install the sockets. […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

With the 1336A bus interface chip I guess it's better they did not install the sockets.

I need to check what bus interface chip my real Sound Blaster 2.0 has, it has sockets at least.

The seller was the one who broke the shrinkwrap to take pictures for Ebay but it's just as good, now I can use the card.

I taped the shrinkwrap back together for now though. 😁

So, apart from obtaining two Phillips SAA-1099 chips and a GAL16v8 chip, what else should one look out for on a Sound Blaster 2.0 sound card in order to achieve CMS compatibility?
Why wouldn't the CT1336A chip work?

Reply 11439 of 53082, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

This "little" guy arrived in the mail today (photo not mine). MSI PRO266TD Master-LR. Probably one of my luckiest deals ever, as the seller probably had 0 idea what the hell this board is. For 20 Euro in total, he even threw in a Celeron 1200 + Cooler as a bonus, I certainly can't complain. 🤣
Capacitors are TEAPO crap, although they all seem to be in great shape, where as all of the smaller, Lelon ones seem to be dead or in terrible condition. Gonna have a real field day recapping this board, but it is 100% worth it.

For those of you who don't know, this is one of the last Socket 370 boards. Based on the Apollo Pro 266T, tt has support for dual CPUs, all the way up to the Tualatin 1.4-S, DDR memory all the way up to 4GB ECC(!), 100MBit Ethernet and even RAID through a Promise ATA100 controller! And to top it all of, it's got an AGP Pro 4X slot, so it can properly run older cards.

That's nice! I have a similar board, the Tyan S2507T, and two Pentium III-S 1133. Sad thing is, the cooler attachment clips on the CPU sockets are broken 🙁

1982 to 2001