User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Got a retro care package in today from a friend: […]
Show full quote

Got a retro care package in today from a friend:

SB 2.0 8-bit ISA clone (Anchor Electronics MF-002)

MSI socket 754 VIA board - I'm building a fast and quiet win98 machine around this one for my sister today.

ECS SiS socket A board with 3.3v AGP slot - great for a fast, compact Voodoo 3 build.

IBM PCI SCSI controller card - this baby is going streight into my dual-PIII build 😁
Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card - can't have enough of these babies - I just love the XG synth.
Geforce 2 MX400 64MB - working GF2 cards are hard to come by here. Most were passively cooled and are now dead. Not to mention they weren't that common to begin with since most people tough a TNT2 M64 was enough.

Nice stuff, especially the Sound Blaster 2.0 clone! 😀

I have now tested the Roland ED SC-D70, it works prefectly fine.

I will however take away one feedback point for the shipping cost. The shipping cost was very reasonable but it's not at all acceptable to ship a 100+ euro item without any protection at all.

I'm playing though some of my MIDI collection with the SC-D70 in GS mode and most MIDIs sounds fine. I have not found any button for switching between GM and GS mode but I guess i just have to find my GS reset and GM reset MIDI files or make new ones. I dont think this really matter as the unit defaults to GS mode when using MIDI IN and GM stuff should be played back correctly in GS mode.

So far my conclusion is that it's perfectly fine to substitute a SC-55 or SC-88 with a module from The Roland ED Sound Canvas series but I have tried any games yet.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11501 of 53132, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

I like, that you like the care package. 😀
That MSI board is one great board, as it runs fully compatible with SATA drives in Win98SE.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11502 of 53132, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:
carlostex wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

This babe finally arrived today,if i correct it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu,cant wait till obtain ide controller and give it a try.
Posts well btw and seems some leaking battery was removed just before selling.

I have a feeling that despite it being 20MHz the whole system might be slow, in fact slower than fast 16MHz 286 boards.

I actually have one of these without the DIP memory sockets and a 25Mhz too, they are faster than a 386SX 16, which I also have, these were the last 286 built with highly integrated chipsets and support for 30 pin simms, also dropping support for 8bit ISA slots. A system like this is reviewed in RedHill guide check it out.

I've traced locally isa ide controller,so it question of time when i get it,also i know that message not for me but already saw that guide i think 3-4 year ago.

Btw cheers,nice hauls everyone! 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 11503 of 53132, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woohoo... just had another score today. This time, LOCALLY!

I went to a PC repair shop that's been in business 20 minutes from me for decades, that I didn't even know existed. It is full of HEAPS of stuff, 6 feet tall... towers, retail boxes of old hardware, bins full of parts... its wonderful. Sadly, he has gotten rid of a lot over the years so he doesn't have piles of the stuff I'm interested in necessarily, but he does have quite a selection!

He is going to try to find his brand new (!) 5.25"+3.5" combo floppy drives, which he'll sell for $15 each... yeah.

When I asked about old Voodoo cards he said he's sure he has some somewhere. When digging through his drawer of old TV Tuner cards and ATI Wonder cards he said "oh, I have a Voodoo 3 3500 TV!" and pulled it out and said "In the box!". It ended up being nearly complete. All the original packaging is there. It looks like the only thing missing is the Unreal game disk advertised on the box, as I don't think its on the 3dfx driver CD. The AV adapter pod and card are super clean, with the only signs of wear being on the video connector. He knew it was somewhat rare so he was firm on price, but I got it for $30!

I also needed some 30pin SIMMs for my AWE Upgrade card and when I asked if he had any, he went out back and dug out a small package containing four sets of brand new 16MB Kingston 30 pin 70ns SIMMs. I ended up getting one pair for $15. This beats the best online price I've seen for a guaranteed 2x16MB kit by three bucks and this stuff is brand new, never been taken out of its antistatic bag until today... and its Kingston!

He also has several brand new in box Intel N440BX dual Slot 1 server motherboards which he's willing to sell fairly cheap. I only saw one, but the box was identical to this, and he said he has a couple more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-N440BX-Server-B … g-/252179028585
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-MB-N440BX-AA69470 … 0/dp/B00B86WH6U

If the board wasn't so huge I'd have bought one, but I have nothing it'd fit in... and no real use for a dual Slot 1 system that only supports 100Mhz FSB!

He also has some cheap off-brand DIN keyboards brand new in box for like $15 each. They are pretty chintzy, otherwise I would have bought one. He said that he has some old mechanical type keyboards somewhere that aren't DIN type. Most likely IBM. I'll probably ask more about these some other time.

He doesn't let people wander around his shop, since its packed full of stuff, but... man... if he did... the things I'd find there. 😲

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11504 of 53132, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Quantum3D Graphite 2016-04-06 005 (1440x1920).jpg

Wow, would you mind sharing that beautiful background Q3D image with us?

That is actually a screen shot from Arctic Thunder. It has several logos that show between gameplay clips. It may be just an image file that could be copied out of the game directory. Otherwise, I can try to just do a print screen of it.

Reply 11505 of 53132, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, a screenshot is also fine. And if you could make an image of the hard drive, we could try to extract the original image from there.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 11506 of 53132, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compaq Portable Plus, one of the first IBM XT Clones.

Powersupply is dead.

DSC_0051.JPG
Filename
DSC_0051.JPG
File size
86.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0052.JPG
Filename
DSC_0052.JPG
File size
143.7 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0064.JPG
Filename
DSC_0064.JPG
File size
131.05 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 11507 of 53132, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Got a retro care package in today from a friend: [...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

ECS SiS socket A board with 3.3v AGP slot - great for a fast, compact Voodoo 3 build.

OtErysql.jpg

[...]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is IMO the WORST BOARD IN HISTORY! 😁
I had this (PC Chips M810LMR / K7SEM) as a student in 2002 and it cost me a lot of nerves.
It is not fast and as far away from great as Pluto from Earth. 😵

First I tried to run it with a Voodoo 3 3000 - nothing!!
Then I bought a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 Kyro 2 - NOTHING!!!
I returned the card and got a new one - Again - I didnt work.

Then I came across this "compatibility list":

Zitat [...] Creative Labs 3D Blaster Geforce 3 Ti200 64MB […]
Show full quote

Zitat
[...]
Creative Labs 3D Blaster Geforce 3 Ti200 64MB

Elsa Geforce 3 Ti200

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64mb AGP

- Driver issue! Limited function with Windows Standard VGA driver, but freezes with it's own driver!

Hercules Kyro II 4500 (Motherboard Rev. 3, Rev. 5)

Maddog Multimedia 64 Mb AGP TV-Out - did not work on Rev.5

MSI GeForce 4 MX440 - One person had stability problems

PixelView GeForce 4 Ti4200 - no go in rev 3.0 and worked a little in 5.0

PNY GeForce 3 Ti200 - not good in rev 3.0 bu worked on in rev 5/7

Powercolor"Powered by ATI" 7500LE runs unstable on revision 3.0 Motherboard. Other revisions ok.

S3 Savage 4 / Savage 2000. No card with this chipset has worked,as yet.

Visiontek VisionTek Geforce2 32MB GTS DDR with rev. 3.0 board

Visiontek GF3 Ti500 no-go, just beeps (Motherboard Rev. 3, Rev. 5)

Voodoo 3/4/5 All AGP Voodoo. Windows detects these cards ok, but the card/drivers malfunction. No solution as yet.

Reply 11508 of 53132, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i had one too, hat various stability issues.. faster cpu -> less stable..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 11509 of 53132, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K7semm with an 1.0 to 1.2ghz, runs stable with TNT2, GF2 and even Radeon9600se. (In Win98se that is)
I don't know about the V3 issue, as I had no V3 at that point, when I tested a K7SEMM Rev-1.0.

Reply 11510 of 53132, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Woohoo... just had another score today. This time, LOCALLY! […]
Show full quote

Woohoo... just had another score today. This time, LOCALLY!

I went to a PC repair shop that's been in business 20 minutes from me for decades, that I didn't even know existed. It is full of HEAPS of stuff, 6 feet tall... towers, retail boxes of old hardware, bins full of parts... its wonderful. Sadly, he has gotten rid of a lot over the years so he doesn't have piles of the stuff I'm interested in necessarily, but he does have quite a selection!

He is going to try to find his brand new (!) 5.25"+3.5" combo floppy drives, which he'll sell for $15 each... yeah.

When I asked about old Voodoo cards he said he's sure he has some somewhere. When digging through his drawer of old TV Tuner cards and ATI Wonder cards he said "oh, I have a Voodoo 3 3500 TV!" and pulled it out and said "In the box!". It ended up being nearly complete. All the original packaging is there. It looks like the only thing missing is the Unreal game disk advertised on the box, as I don't think its on the 3dfx driver CD. The AV adapter pod and card are super clean, with the only signs of wear being on the video connector. He knew it was somewhat rare so he was firm on price, but I got it for $30!

I also needed some 30pin SIMMs for my AWE Upgrade card and when I asked if he had any, he went out back and dug out a small package containing four sets of brand new 16MB Kingston 30 pin 70ns SIMMs. I ended up getting one pair for $15. This beats the best online price I've seen for a guaranteed 2x16MB kit by three bucks and this stuff is brand new, never been taken out of its antistatic bag until today... and its Kingston!

He also has several brand new in box Intel N440BX dual Slot 1 server motherboards which he's willing to sell fairly cheap. I only saw one, but the box was identical to this, and he said he has a couple more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-N440BX-Server-B … g-/252179028585
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-MB-N440BX-AA69470 … 0/dp/B00B86WH6U

If the board wasn't so huge I'd have bought one, but I have nothing it'd fit in... and no real use for a dual Slot 1 system that only supports 100Mhz FSB!

He also has some cheap off-brand DIN keyboards brand new in box for like $15 each. They are pretty chintzy, otherwise I would have bought one. He said that he has some old mechanical type keyboards somewhere that aren't DIN type. Most likely IBM. I'll probably ask more about these some other time.

He doesn't let people wander around his shop, since its packed full of stuff, but... man... if he did... the things I'd find there. 😲

Sounds like a goldmine to dig through. 😀

Reply 11512 of 53132, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

The board I got runs fine with a Voodoo 3 3000. Haven't tested it with anything else. Maybe you got a bad board?

So... A rev.1 is good with V3's, yet a Rev3 to 5 has issues? Interresting!
They might have reworked (degraded) Universal-AGP throughout the production-span then.

Reply 11513 of 53132, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many years ago I had this board (no idea which revision though) and it didn't work with Voodoo3 2000 AGP. Once the driver loaded, whole system crashed. Terrible board indeed. 😵

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11514 of 53132, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't get me wrong, I like this board (somehow! It is only because of nostalgia, back then this board was all I had to choose from after the Pentium 200MMX)
but if there were bad boards back then, these (M810, K7SEM) were.

I think it was the end of 2001 and I needed a new motherboard, and a Duron 1000, and 256MB SDRAM.
But I only had a small allowance. I think my board was less than 50 bucks when I bought it new...

I ran the Duron without raising the vCore at 133MHz FSB = 1333MHz!

Reply 11515 of 53132, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like this board (somehow! It is only because of nostalgia, back then this board was all I had to choose fr […]
Show full quote

Don't get me wrong, I like this board (somehow! It is only because of nostalgia, back then this board was all I had to choose from after the Pentium 200MMX)
but if there were bad boards back then, these (M810, K7SEM) were.

I think it was the end of 2001 and I needed a new motherboard, and a Duron 1000, and 256MB SDRAM.
But I only had a small allowance. I think my board was less than 50 bucks when I bought it new...

I ran the Duron without raising the vCore at 133MHz FSB = 1333MHz!

And then there was the K7S5A. That was a much better board. I still have mine from back in those days. With a modded BIOS it'll run a 2400+ Barton.

Reply 11516 of 53132, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Many years ago I had this board (no idea which revision though) and it didn't work with Voodoo3 2000 AGP. Once the driver loaded, whole system crashed. Terrible board indeed. 😵

I didn't install any chipset drivers and ran win98 on it. Seemed perfectly stable under 3dmark and quake 3 - then again I only messed with it for a couple of hours.

Reply 11517 of 53132, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I gather, ECS boards from that era tend to be hit-or-miss... I've heard about as many stories about the K7S5A being a lemon as I have the same board being pretty good. I guess it comes down to things like board revision and such.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11518 of 53132, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I got a Unisys PS/2 mouse (actually 25PIN serial). I bought it because I could not get my generic 9PIN serial mouse to work with a converter to 25PIN. It turns out the IBM PS/2 Model 30 8530 8086 COM1 25PIN port is broken/disabled because the Unisys mouse does work on my Magnavox 286. 😠

The Unisys mouse is clean but does not scroll 100%. It has an insane long cable. I probably need to de-knot it. 🤣

Reply 11519 of 53132, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#album/1 … CJSx9sb2-qu0jwE
Sellers's pictures.

Can't wait to see what's inside!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)