VOGONS

3DFX Voodoo 1 BSOD

Topic actions

First post, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, some time ago I said that I'd take another look at Voodoo cards seeing how everyone else practically masturbates over them... Maybe the previous attempts just happened to go wrong for reasons I do not know, maybe they performed better than I thought in the right machine.

Today I dragged out two Voodoo 1 cards, my old Orchid Righteous 3D and a Techworks one, the Techworks one seems to be a copy of the reference design and is a model that doesn't have those ridiculous relays.

Anyway, I figured that given the only 3D games on my K5 are running in DOS and use the Virge card, I'd use that as I know it to be a quick and stable system with a hefty power supply, so here should be no problem with running a Voodoo card.

I threw the Orchid in there, the system runs Windows 95 so grabbed the driver vg-w9x-q3 and set that up... Immediately after launching any program that attempts to use the 3DFX card, the screen goes teal (maroon with the Techworks) and the system appears to lock up, plugging the monitor back directly into the S3 card shows that the system has run into a BSOD, an 0D Error in FXMEMMAP.

At first I was like, great, ruined my OS for nothing, have to re-install it I guess, but I reasoned that if another card did it like the S3 or Matrox I'd try to make it work first. I therefore tracked down some other drivers. Voodoolizer drivers don't work at all and my anti-virus hates them anyway. There aren't any others that I can find and as before I notice a severe lack of any resources for the original Voodoo cards.

Anybody got some ideas? I remember seeing that BSOD loads on the few machines who's owners had bought 3DFX cards back in the 90's and early 2000's but never thought much about it before as I either didn't care because it wasn't my machine or pocket cash when I made it go away by installing an ATi/nVidia board instead - and no, I didn't keep their Voodoo 1 / 2 cards before you ask, I left those for the owner to do as they wished, so I don't have a stockpile of them to play with, most of them got traded in for software as far as I know as our local rip-off merchant loved them.

Edit: Found a page here; http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo1.htm
Playing with these...

Edit: Well... That didn't work at first, so I started screwing around with stuff... Don't ask me what I did, but it's running now in all it's blurry laggy glory. Guess I'll have to rake out those 3DFX patches.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know why, but Voodoo1 in 95 gave me some trouble in the past also. Usually they started working fine after installing dx5 and using FIRST the Diamond 1.08 driver. After that driver i could install any driver and it kept working fine (still don't know the cause, and it was with several systems and cards, not only Diamond cards).

I prefer 98se and a Pentium mmx cpu for my Voodoo1 cards: Absolutely stable and fast for the time, and no problems in dos glide games either.

IMHO glide was the very best api at the time, and since it was voodoo only these cards were the best option there was. When direct3d finally got more mature and well supported there were better options but the voodoo's were no slouch...

I love my complete 3dfx colection but for price/performance there is no match for the v3: Great for almost every glide game out there and nice performance in direct3d. Biggest plus is the much less blurry picture compared to v1/v2 and v3 can be easily found for a low price. Even the slowest v3 2000 does very well.

From tnt2 (ultra) and up Nvidia made very good cards but with these i always miss glide support as a lot of games i like from the past support this api best.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 10, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo graphics is kinda picky about CPU used... especially the non-Intel ones.

I have never tried V1 on AMD K5, but K6 and Cyrix MII are problematic. Try this driver from Falconfly archive.

14 Nov 1998 3dfx Voodoo1 V3.00.01 842k ZIP DirectX5 Driver

I've managed to run V1 on K6-2 400 and Windows 98 with this driver, I guess is could work on K5 as well.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had a problem with mmx, k6-2 and k6-3(+) systems and v1. They are speed sensitive and can give problems with p2-450 and faster.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 10, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a Diamond Voodoo 1 with a k5-100mhz ,works fine,but k5 to slow for the voodoo,imo u need at least a pentium 166,preferably mmx version.

Reply 5 of 10, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up butchering the Orchid driver from Falconfly. As I said though, I can't remember what exactly I did, I know it was somewhere between renaming Glide**.dll files and tampering with strings in some VXD file that it began working.

I don't know about the K5 being slow, this is a PR166 model, I find it to be a strong processor in integer and a lot of the FPU load is probably taken away by the GPU. Either way, the 3DFX seems to perform identically to how it did when I had it installed in a P3 for the most part and it's more period appropriate, I suppose if I was messing with Voodoo 2 era stuff I might notice better performance with a faster CPU but then I'd probably be using a Pentium II (Or K6) with a V2 anyway...

I'm still testing things out so can't pass much judgement on the API yet. The only things I can say at present are I'm glad I installed a case fan a while back as this box is fairly compact with a lot of hardware installed and that I'm still mildly upset by the filtering seemingly being permanently on.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 10, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

I don't know why, but Voodoo1 in 95 gave me some trouble in the past also. Usually they started working fine after installing dx5 and using FIRST the Diamond 1.08 driver. After that driver i could install any driver and it kept working fine (still don't know the cause, and it was with several systems and cards, not only Diamond cards).

I don't know why, but thanks to this bit of info, I now know that my newly bought A-Trend card won't work with reference drivers, but works with Diamond drivers (even the latest one).

Reply 7 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to reduce the Voodoo 1 driver version down to 2.16 until it did not BSODes in FXMEMMAP on K5.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 10, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't this the error you get when the Voodoo and the graphics card are using the same memory space? In the device manager you can choose what memory range it uses... If you can get there.

YouTube

Reply 9 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think so since the device manager shows the voodoo just fine even with latest driver on K5. It is an issue with CPU features not present on K5 compared to Pentium.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 10, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a very similar experience with my Voodoo 1 on a K6-III+ system running 98SE. Happens with the latest reference drivers for me. An easy fix that works (at least for me) is replacing fxmemmap with the one from the latest Diamond drivers. Apparently the latest reference drivers' version is a bit weird sometimes. Have not had any issues since.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro