VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if any of you have experience with PCI and ISA PCMCIA controllers. I'm looking forward to purchasing a few to use SCP-55 in desktop systems. It's compatibility with SCP-55, DOS and Windows 98 that concerns me most. Having one with external 3.5" or 5,25" bay would be awesome as well. Is there any point hunting down older cards, or would newer (and cheaper) PCI adapter be OK?

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ISA one with a 5.25" dual PCMCIA bay that works fine in DOS and Windows 9x (Cirrus Logic chipset) and a cheap PCI with a single slot on the back which I need to retry in DOS to be sure.
Some search links:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=p … %83%BC%E3%83%89
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=I … %83%BC%E3%83%89

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 8, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want DOS compatibility I would definitely get an ISA adapter as it's more likely to have DOS drivers (card/socket services) or work with Cardsoft.
The SCP-55 has a couple of downsides compared to a SCC-1:

- PnP IRQ and address configuration
- Card & socket services take a hefty amount of conventional memory

Otherwise though it works and sounds great.

Reply 3 of 8, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one I obtained for free years ago, but I've never been able to find a use for it. I've already got enough modems, network cards, and SCSI cards (I have an adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card, which I bought. It looked ridiculous seeing a Thinkpad 701 'butterfly' driving a full size flat bed scanner and an old external CDRW drive). Having a whole SCC1/SC55 in a PC Card sounds awesome, though.

Reply 4 of 8, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years ago I had one of the dual slot ones that had an ISA card and you fit into a spare 3.5" bay. It's basically the PCMCIA glue out of a laptop so Windows sees it and had the drivers already. I have one of the Single slot ISA cards in a Compaq Portable 386 as it makes luggables with ISA slots MUCH more versatile and it isn't that bad though you have to load DOS card services for it to work.
I also have a PCI one I've never tried but presumably with that you are limited to 9x and above.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 5 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, guys!

I never participated in auctions in Japan. Prices there are really competitive! I'll look into it.

Of course, there are alternatives to SCP-55, but that's my only example of Roland gear. Small wonder I want it everywhere 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My PCI adapter with a ENE CB1410 chipset works fine in DOS using Cardware 7 from http://www.tssc.de/, I tested the SCP-55 card and had no issues in the games I tried.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 8 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some related questions:

I've seen lately references to a PCMCIA floppy disk drive.

- Anybody knows if this FDD can be used on DOS?
- Can it be accessed directly (i.e: not using int 13h, accessing ports directly)?
- If so, can it be connected to a desktop via PCI to PCMCIA converters?

The idea is use it on a modern desktop system to transfer disks via SAMdisk or CPCdiskXP. They need a (compatible) 765 onboard.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!