VOGONS

First post, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an old socket 462 board with Thunderbird CPU (athlon1000) this week.
And yesterday, after a test run, i have only a black screen...

The CPU is: A1000AMT3B, so it's a 100Mhz base clock CPU.
The board is: GigaByte GR-7ZXE Rev1.1, so it's a Via KT133A chipset board.

I've had plugged in ATX-PSU, one 256 SD-RAM, an old ATI Rage XL PCI VGA card (which i've used for tests), an old 20 GB IDE harddisk... and finally I've put (at first try on this board), the socket 370 heatsink onto the CPU, only on top with it's weight, not fixed with the 3-point-clips at each side.

Also i didn't use thermal paste for this test. For small test's, this works quite well with K6-2, Pentium III & IV CPU.
Well, my propose was only, to test a few seconds/minutes if it works and then i would had deinstall all parts.

Only for 2-3 seconds, i've seen a post screen or something, the heatsinks becomes really hot for my point of view - compared to the PIII for example...
The CPU smells also to something undefined, not really good...
I've tried several times to boot with 2 different VGA cards, different SD-RAM, also i've changed also the cooler.

No success...

The CPU has no visible damage at the core, but when i look at the surrounding surfaces, there's something around the core with has not the original color.
On the mainboard, i see no damage, maybe it is OK... ?

Last edited by melbar on 2016-05-25, 21:01. Edited 1 time in total.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 1 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always use thermal paste and attach the sink with 462. Your cpu is gone possibly motherboard.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
melbar wrote:
and finally I've put (at first try on this board), the socket 370 heatsink onto the CPU, only on top with it's weight, not fixed […]
Show full quote

and finally I've put (at first try on this board), the socket 370 heatsink onto the CPU, only on top with it's weight, not fixed with the 3-point-clips at each side.

Also i didn't use thermal paste for this test.

Only for 2-3 seconds, i've seen a post screen or something, the heatsinks becomes really hot for my point of view - compared to the PIII for example...
The CPU smells also to something undefined, not really good...

It's dead, Jim ..I mean Melbar.

s370 and basically anything predating it, you can get away with not applying thermal compound.
Netburst has additional thermal protection.

Anything Socket A and no properly installed HSF? ...you'd be lucky if it had lived.
I kinda did the same with a Palomino. I installed the HSF properly, but had forgotten to apply any thermal paste. Black screen and magic smoke and that was it.

Your board is probably ok, provided you didn't leave the CPU burning for too long.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This happened to me once, except I forgot the heat sink entirely 😵 😵 😵
Kind of funny, this only happens with those types of AMD processors. If you do it with a Pentium III it'll work fine for a while and then die, but it certainly won't die after just 2 seconds.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 5, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket A CPUs do have a tendency to burn up, especially if you don't apply thermal paste or mount the heatsink properly. I'm afraid that the CPU is more than likely dead, but the board might still be alive. I'd grab another CPU and see if the board still works.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although I had AMD CPUs in all of my custom built systems from 2000 through 2007, I have grown to really dislike the Socket A platform. The CPUs are incredibly easy to crush or kill in other ways, heatsink installation makes you wonder why on earth they would make it so easy to turn a board\CPU into useless junk without even doing anything wrong and all but the later models (and those known for overclocking) ran way too hot. Did I mention the stock coolers were junk as well? Lack of thermal protection exacerbates the problem even further. Socket 370 CPUs without heat spreaders have many of the same flaws, but at least they didn't put out so much heat and heat spreaders were eventually added.

Athlons and XPs were great bang for the buck CPUs at the time, but because of the above, I'm not a big fan of them anymore.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.