VOGONS

Reply 60 of 125, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

It is when the vast majority of them don't know what they have and destroy all they can get without ever checking to see what is really worth saving

You're right of course, they should google each card, figure out what it does, test it, determine its monetary value, then factor in its historical value and collectability. Only then should they make the decision to either scrap it, or sell it. But they mustn't sell it for too much! Because "What is with the prices on retro cards lately?" 😒

nforce4max wrote:

How would you feel if you watched as someone scraped a working voodoo 5 6000 just for the gold content....

How would you feel if someone scrapped a working Victorian era cheese knife for it's copper content? 99.99% of the population wouldn't care about either getting melted down, and why should they? You're confusing your hobby with something that actually matters.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 61 of 125, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
You're right of course, they should google each card, figure out what it does, test it, determine its monetary value, then facto […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

It is when the vast majority of them don't know what they have and destroy all they can get without ever checking to see what is really worth saving

You're right of course, they should google each card, figure out what it does, test it, determine its monetary value, then factor in its historical value and collectability. Only then should they make the decision to either scrap it, or sell it. But they mustn't sell it for too much! Because "What is with the prices on retro cards lately?" 😒

nforce4max wrote:

How would you feel if you watched as someone scraped a working voodoo 5 6000 just for the gold content....

How would you feel if someone scrapped a working Victorian era cheese knife for it's copper content? 99.99% of the population wouldn't care about either getting melted down, and why should they? You're confusing your hobby with something that actually matters.

Any idiot can learn at least a few things by sight what to set aside, hell if a 20 something can do it there really isn't much of an excuse. As for the 99.99% I am really tired because of other reasons outside of this hobby, people just don't think at all these days and I could get political about it but this isn't the place. All they have to do is just go to ebay and look at the high value items as well items that always get a lot of attention. There is plenty of money to be had out there and all they have to do is put some of this stuff on the market, more money than just the metal content.

If people would be willing to wise up they could do this just for kicks when they retire and make things easier money wise.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 62 of 125, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

If people would be willing to wise up they could do this just for kicks when they retire and make things easier money wise.

People aren't dumb - if there was more money in re-selling individual components than scrapping them by the truckload, then they'd do that.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 63 of 125, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Otoh, if everybody were to know how much every bit of (old) hardware is worth, there'd be absolutely no way to ever find something for cheapz 😢

badmojo wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

People aren't dumb - if there was more money in re-selling individual components than scrapping them by the truckload, then they'd do that.

^^ This

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 64 of 125, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
badmojo wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Sorry but I been around a lot of dumb folks to know thats not always true.

Reply 65 of 125, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
badmojo wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Sorry but I been around a lot of dumb folks to know thats not always true.

But it's not always false either 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 67 of 125, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow this thread has blown up.

Anywho, first off. Its not just middle aged men in this hobby. I'm 16, my first computer was a Gateway P3 which my aunt gave me when i was 4. Had a computer constantly since then and have been relativly fluent with them since around the 6th Grade (I got expelled from school a few months ago thanks to my amazing computer skills...). Anyways I only have around 25 bucks a week to work with so i have to keep up with all your rich ass's in terms of hardware which isn't exactly easy. Ive found tactics that work when hunting down vintage games on eBay work on Vintage PC hardware aswell.

and yeah, scrappers i'm sure destroy an absurd amount of stuff. Also i dont get how they can think you're ripping them off buying parts off them if there going to scrap them anyways.

Also id like to point out i live near a college town. But guess what? its illegal to leave hardware on the curbside now. Youre MANDATED to bring it to a recycling center where it will be destroyed or get rid of it via other means. This is government imposed bullshit. Before they did that at the end of each school year i could have drove around town for a few hours and came back with a pickup truck full of PC's. Oh well, i just need to figure out where the recycling center is and raid there dropoff point. (Late at night if neccesary). I dont think its illegal.

EDIT: Heres the bullshit straight from the source

http://explorecarbondale.com/node/1575 (search in the page ''COmputers")

Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2016-05-27, 05:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 68 of 125, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

But guess what? its illegal to leave hardware on the curbside now. Youre MANDATED to bring it to a recycling center where it will be destroyed or get rid of it via other means. This is government imposed bullshit. Before they did that at the end of each school year i could have drove around town for a few hours and came back with a pickup truck full of PC's. Oh well, i just need to figure out where the recycling center is and raid there dropoff point. (Late at night if necessary). I don't think its illegal.

That just means you got to adjust your methods 😀

With social networking it shouldn't be hard to get in tough with college students before the end of the year. I used to just hang up flyers and got a free CRT monitor for example.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 69 of 125, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive posted ads in craigslist, facebook groups, etc. Ive yet to recieve one email or phone call.

What am i suppose to do? Front myself as a recycler and just horde everything.

Hey, thats not a half bad idea. 🤣

Too bad i dont have a license (again expelled before i could get mine) prevents me from driving anywhere anytime.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 70 of 125, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile in the UK, nobody really sells much of anything - I am skeptical that many people ever owned anything worthwhile in the first place - and it is against the law to pick up trash. Luckily, this doesn't apply on council estates because there's an unwritten rule that anything in the front lawn is first come, first served, sadly, all the good stuff ran out years ago and the best you can find now are rusty low-end P3 Celeron machines that don't work and aren't worth having anyway. Even those show up very rarely now. I can only imagine its worse elsewhere, because most of these are branded with a local organization's name, said organization practically threw them at you when we were all set to be the internet capital of the UK (Since then we've become a city with only a single, locally operated, ISP) to get everyone on the internet, so most homes owned one whether they used it or not. Even then it's technically double theft as we were meant to give them back (haha! suckers!) and in the laws eyes, you also stole it by removing it from the front lawn - this is why I knock on the door and ask. They look at you weird, they're like "Why are you asking me? It's there to be taken." but it removes the power of authorities to persecute you for taking it.

You can steal from the city dump, but you have to be very careful. Some of the workers take their job too seriously so will kick you in the shins and trip you up if you try to run off with so much as an old coffee mug.

Good luck finding anything on social media here too, people keep telling me about crappy facebook groups and websites and all you ever find is people selling prams, slightly broken plasma TVs and the odd strimmer.

Sunday markets sometimes yielded results, but the people there started charging way too much some years ago, they refuse to barter and get very aggressive if you even attempt it.

On the age thing, I seem to be from some weird missing half-way generation; I'm 25, so I'm only just too old to identify with the millennials, but I'm too young to be part of gen X. There seems to be about a 3-year span between the end of the 80s and start of the 90s where people born in that time don't fit into either generation's definition so much.

As for scrappers refusing sales for more money as they see it as a ripoff and whatnot... the general population is dumb and people like that are a prime example. I've had similar problems, most notably, builders refused to construct a workshop for me because I specified a larger size of wood for the frame than was necessary (4x4 versus 2x1). Their argument was that it was too expensive and no matter how much I explained to any of them that it was my money, so who cared? They'd just get payed more for having to go out of their way to put it together, they wouldn't have it and refused to work on it. The last guy got mad when he couldn't give me a valid reason and I questioned if the reason he didn't want to do it was because he prided himself on doing substandard work with barely-spec materials... He flipped his shit and it was hilarious. Morons.
"But it's wrong!" He said.
"So what?" I replied, "Is building this frame with 4x4 better than using 2x1?"
"No, it's wrong."
"Will it be stronger?" I asked.
"It... fuck you! I'm not doing it, it's too expensive!"
"Who's paying for this?"
"Fuck you! You're an idiot!" He yelled down the phone, "Nobody fucking does that any more, what the fuck is wrong with you?"
Dick.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 71 of 125, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
Meanwhile in the UK, nobody really sells much of anything - I am skeptical that many people ever owned anything worthwhile in th […]
Show full quote

Meanwhile in the UK, nobody really sells much of anything - I am skeptical that many people ever owned anything worthwhile in the first place - and it is against the law to pick up trash. Luckily, this doesn't apply on council estates because there's an unwritten rule that anything in the front lawn is first come, first served, sadly, all the good stuff ran out years ago and the best you can find now are rusty low-end P3 Celeron machines that don't work and aren't worth having anyway. Even those show up very rarely now. I can only imagine its worse elsewhere, because most of these are branded with a local organization's name, said organization practically threw them at you when we were all set to be the internet capital of the UK (Since then we've become a city with only a single, locally operated, ISP) to get everyone on the internet, so most homes owned one whether they used it or not. Even then it's technically double theft as we were meant to give them back (haha! suckers!) and in the laws eyes, you also stole it by removing it from the front lawn - this is why I knock on the door and ask. They look at you weird, they're like "Why are you asking me? It's there to be taken." but it removes the power of authorities to persecute you for taking it.

You can steal from the city dump, but you have to be very careful. Some of the workers take their job too seriously so will kick you in the shins and trip you up if you try to run off with so much as an old coffee mug.

Good luck finding anything on social media here too, people keep telling me about crappy facebook groups and websites and all you ever find is people selling prams, slightly broken plasma TVs and the odd strimmer.

Sunday markets sometimes yielded results, but the people there started charging way too much some years ago, they refuse to barter and get very aggressive if you even attempt it.

On the age thing, I seem to be from some weird missing half-way generation; I'm 25, so I'm only just too old to identify with the millennials, but I'm too young to be part of gen X. There seems to be about a 3-year span between the end of the 80s and start of the 90s where people born in that time don't fit into either generation's definition so much.

As for scrappers refusing sales for more money as they see it as a ripoff and whatnot... the general population is dumb and people like that are a prime example. I've had similar problems, most notably, builders refused to construct a workshop for me because I specified a larger size of wood for the frame than was necessary (4x4 versus 2x1). Their argument was that it was too expensive and no matter how much I explained to any of them that it was my money, so who cared? They'd just get payed more for having to go out of their way to put it together, they wouldn't have it and refused to work on it. The last guy got mad when he couldn't give me a valid reason and I questioned if the reason he didn't want to do it was because he prided himself on doing substandard work with barely-spec materials... He flipped his shit and it was hilarious. Morons.
"No, it's wrong."
"Who's paying for this?"
"Fuck you! You're an idiot!" He yelled down the phone, "Nobody fucking does that any more, what the fuck is wrong with you?"
Dick.

I wouldn't mind one of those rusty celerons.... to me anything that has the slightest chance of ever working again is worth saving. Hell, i even have a desk drawer full of random networking cards that are so generic you can buy them by the dozen.

and yes, Society is shit....

The advantage of being a country person is ive got that redneck ingenuity. I MAKE things work even if they were never designed to be operated that way. Hell ive shoved Dual Slot cards into PCs that dont accept them by running them with no IO shields and my main PC ive cut the entire back panel off of to fit a full height GPU in a SFF case while running open panel ...

Reply 72 of 125, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also by recyclers i meant raid the drop off points of dedicated E-Waste centers. If someone see's me the worst they can do is nothing. Technically until they take them inside (i believe) they havent technically taken posession of them and therefor they can be taken.

Reply 73 of 125, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I did grab the last of them while they were there, but I have yet to get them working as I've been busy doing other thingsthet. No doubt I will, as similarly, an advantage of being poor is that you have no choice but to make things work. I'm partial to fixing things with copious amounts of duct tape.

Those e-waste places are the same deal, pick something up and a jobsworth notices and they'll chase you down the street. On the up-side, sure they'll call the police, but the cops take too long to get there and by then you've gone home. The rozzers won't spend that much money and time trying to find some random guy who stole a pile of trash. Nothing good has shown up at the tip here for years though, unless you want a damp stained mattress or a bunch of hedge clippings.

Reply 74 of 125, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Well, I did grab the last of them while they were there, but I have yet to get them working as I've been busy doing other thingsthet. No doubt I will, as similarly, an advantage of being poor is that you have no choice but to make things work. I'm partial to fixing things with copious amounts of duct tape.

Those e-waste places are the same deal, pick something up and a jobsworth notices and they'll chase you down the street. On the up-side, sure they'll call the police, but the cops take too long to get there and by then you've gone home. The rozzers won't spend that much money and time trying to find some random guy who stole a pile of trash. Nothing good has shown up at the tip here for years though, unless you want a damp stained mattress or a bunch of hedge clippings.

🤣 my fat ass is no condition to run down the street with a 20+ pound PC. Id have to use a car and with my luck they would grab the plate and then i would be fucked.

EDIT: BTW Do they really call the cops on you if you do that?

Also how do mattress's end up at E-Waste places?

Reply 75 of 125, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started thinking of generic waste facilities again is why. My city only has one e-waste place because the rest of them are part of the regular council waste depots anyway. They literally just have this metal container for that purpose and that's where most people take it.

I think most of them probably can't be bothered to call the police, but they're supposed to and some people are asshole enough to do it. You're talking to they guy who had the cops called on him for playing loud music in ASDA and I was also arrested because someone assaulted me with a chair - yeah, someone assaulted me so I got community service. Thus I know full well how cop happy some people get, you have to remember that this is the nation where should i call someone names on the internet I can actually get jail time now.

Reply 76 of 125, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
HighTreason wrote:

you have to remember that this is the nation where should i call someone names on the internet I can actually get jail time now.

That why you have an American friend, we can call people names In public and get away with it.
Just find someone that needs name calling and send them are way. 🤣

Reply 77 of 125, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
Meanwhile in the UK, nobody really sells much of anything - I am skeptical that many people ever owned anything worthwhile in th […]
Show full quote

"No, it's wrong."
"Who's paying for this?"
Dick.

Yep and it is already like that through out the US too, there is just no hope for people these days in general. 😢

Now days I'll take Anything that is left out so long that it is not a roach palace or motel, rusty celerons I take.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 78 of 125, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Ive posted ads in craigslist, facebook groups, etc. Ive yet to recieve one email or phone call. […]
Show full quote

Ive posted ads in craigslist, facebook groups, etc. Ive yet to recieve one email or phone call.

What am i suppose to do? Front myself as a recycler and just horde everything.

Hey, thats not a half bad idea. 🤣

Too bad i dont have a license (again expelled before i could get mine) prevents me from driving anywhere anytime.

I don't know how long you've been busy collecting this retro stuff, but (and this kinda goes for most people who collect retro stuff, including software) most of us who for the first time start collecting retro computer stuff, will take at least a year or 2 before our collections start getting anywhere substantial and before we start getting a hang on what kind of items we actually prefer.

A little bit of patience goes a long way and makes it less frustrating (and possibly cheaper) at the same time 😀.

Report spammers here!

Reply 79 of 125, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:

I don't know how long you've been busy collecting this retro stuff, but (and this kinda goes for most people who collect retro stuff, including software) most of us who for the first time start collecting retro computer stuff, will take at least a year or 2 before our collections start getting anywhere substantial and before we start getting a hang on what kind of items we actually prefer.

A little bit of patience goes a long way and makes it less frustrating (and possibly cheaper) at the same time 😀.

patience is golden, but knowing were to find a good deal is another thing.

Here a top tip (Edd china voice)
Look up OEM part numbers on ebay or ewaist sites when looking for video cards or sounds cards. Or any part for that matter.
I got a med flat rate box of OEM video cards the other day I got from one seller on ebay for about 20$ in total, I even had some goodies in it like a Matrox Mystique.
I even gotten new delta fans for less then 5$ by looking them up by their part number.