With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've learned early on that the most important component of a laptop is not the CPU, and it's not the memory or the HDD either. It's the video card. The system that taught me that is a Thinkpad 570e with a P2-366 (which is good enough for w98), 128MB PC-100 RAM (which is good enough for w98), 12GB HDD (which is good enough for w98) and the crappiest video chipset known to mankind, NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV - which is NOT good enough for w98. I mean, even the 2d performance is more than ridiculous. It takes a full 2 minutes to refresh the desktop. As for 3d, forget it. It's supposedly DX7-capable, but unless you enjoy games at 0.05fps don't even try.

Since then, the first and foremost spec I look at when buying a laptop is the video chipset. I choose one that is good enough for what I want to do with it for at least 3-4 years in the future. CPU, RAM and storage can be upgraded, but the video card usually not (unless it's a MXM card, but the laptops with those are rare; I have one 😀)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

Yes but the output goes to a secondary monitor. I won't feed back into a laptop's primary screen.

Well, if you're using a laptop old enough to benefit from a PCMCIA graphics card, it's possible its primary screen isn't very good either, a passive LCD for example...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 10 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my case, the screen is actually good (active TFT I belive) the only draw side is the gpu itself,for some special games it limit the fps to 21.
The weirdest example is doom itself, playing vanilla doom gave me 21fps, but using the mbf port the fps went to near 50fps (weird note, vanilla doom could change the background border from the screen where wasnt being rendered, while mbf doesnt that