VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always wanted to pick out a great retro laptop and carry it around with me to work on the go. A lot of what I do can be done over the internet and ssh to remotely log into another machine which does the heavy lifting.

The trick is to figure out how to connect to the internet. I have the possibility of tethering with my phone but 16-bit adapters will be a problem. The best one I could find is the Cisco Aironet 350 but the non-cardbus variant only supports wireless-a/b at 2.4Ghz and my phone, while it can broadcast as 2.4Ghz, uses wireless-g.

There is the potential to use an ethernet adapter which connects to an access point which then connects to my phone wirelessly. But I don't think there is anything too compact for that.

Any ideas? The more retro and archaic looking the laptop I can get the better. 😀

Another alternative would be to gut an old laptop and get a raspberry pi working inside of it with all of the old parts on the outside. I don't know if it would even be possible to write it up to get the original keyboard/mouse and screen working through.

Reply 1 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First off are you sure you will get OK frame rates remote into the remote PC? Even over a local hard wired LAN the refresh rate drops pretty quick.
Not trying to put you off, just something you may want to confirm before putting money towards it.

Reply 7 of 7, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Orinoco Gold 16-bit card that I've gotten working on as old as Windows 95 with a Toshiba Satellite Pro 425CDT. That's a pretty retro-looking laptop, and the big black li-ion batteries Toshiba used on all their old Satellites still hold charge after all these years. At least all 3 of the ones I've found still hold a charge of just over an hour each.

It only supports 802.11a/b though, but I don't remember having any problems connecting to a hotspot from my Nexus 5. What phone do you have? Maybe there's a setting hidden somewhere that changes the wireless mode.

Another problem, most of these cards support WEP security at maximum, and I don't think any phones nowadays allow you to make hotspots with WEP passwords. So you'd have to carry an open hotspot with you all the time.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus