VOGONS

First post, by varanoidas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,
So I wanted to build a more powerful windows 98 machine with dos sound compatibility. The fastest I have with ISA is a 1Ghz pentium 3 or modded 1.3 celeron with rdram, but I still want more 🤣 Anyway, I found a yamaha xg ymf724f-v with SBlink connector and Asus a7v266-e with a similar connector hiding between pci slots and right next to integrated sound chip but it`s called SPDIF_C. Does anyone know what`s going on 😕 Could it be the same thing but named differently?

Reply 1 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VIA southbridges past Apollo Pro don't have support for PC/PCI so that port is probably in fact SPDIF related.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VIA chipsets do DDMA and the Yamaha card supports it. Try.

I have had a YMF744 card working nicely in DOS with a KT133 motherboard.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DDMA doesn't work on the V-Link southbridges, already tried on a MSI KT266A motherboard with modified driver. 😒

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See my thread on PC/PCI sound on various motherboards. YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)

You can find motherboards with working PC/PCI in my experience up to chipset i845 for P4. The most powerful system that I have that supports PC/PCI (after some simple DIY soldering) is based on QDI PlatiniX 2E/333. There may theoretically be some motherboard out there with chipset i865 and PC/PCI, but I haven't found it yet.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 8, by varanoidas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have a QDI PlatiniX 4X or a very similar board with the PC/PCI connector but I have forgotten about it. I tried the card on my AK75 board but DDMA does not seem to be working. The important stuff is greyed out in the util. It lets me test 16bit sound and fm but no 8bit. Still have some reading on your thread to do.
I think that many years ago I had this card working under dos in a slot A motherboard but I am not sure. That board does not have a PC/PCI connector but maybe DDMA worked on it? I am not sure, many years have passed... I will dig the board out and see. And I will post the results here.
Thank you very much for the help, this is the best community ever 😀