Topic actions

Reply 60 of 189, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hanging note bug. You'll note it with Hexen, Doom, and many other games which combine MIDI and PCM audio out. It's present in the majority of Creative SB16/AWE cards, although AWE64 is not affected.

That is not true at all. Define "majority" before making such claims!
Almost ANY AWE32 cards of the models CT3900 and CT3980 with DSP V4.13 have the "type 2" of the hanging notes bug which means IN REALITY you can play hours and hours without any hanging note. These cards are virtually bug free. Also the majority of the CT2760 series are not affected by the bug, the DSP4.11 models seem to be more prone to it. SB32 model CT3760 has DSP 4.16 like the AWE64 series and is free from this bug.

DSP versions <=4.05 and 4.16 are completely free of both type 1 and type 2 hanging note bugs. How noticeable type 1 bugs are will be variable depending on the type of gaming going on and the sensitivity of the user's ear.

I try not to push my own views on this as sound is so subjective. The best option is to experiment which is why I asked what cards the OP has kicking around.

It's worth noting that music using the EMU8k chip is not affected by hanging note, as the MPU interface is emulated and does not use the Creative DSP the same way.

FGB wrote:
oerk wrote:
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Would I still be able to use the sound from the awe32 and dreamblaster if I assigned midi to a different port or card?

Yes, you can even use a dirt cheap Soundblaster clone card, but it takes some shuffling around of ports/IRQs/DMA.

No, oerk is wrong. One can't have the AWE32 sound with any SoundBlaster clone card.

I think he meant as a carrier card for MIDI. Ideally, if you use a second card for MIDI, it should have a waveblaster header for mounting the Dreamblaster DB as well. Alternately, you can use a clone card and install a CT1920 Goldfinch device for EMU8k music.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 61 of 189, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh Yeah.... Have forgotten all about the goldfinch. Might be a good solution, getting an Vibra + Goldfinch + Dreamblaster-S1/X1.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 62 of 189, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what does everyone think about choice of chipset?

VIA or ALI?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 63 of 189, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
FGB wrote:

No, oerk is wrong. One can't have the AWE32 sound with any SoundBlaster clone card.

I think he meant as a carrier card for MIDI. Ideally, if you use a second card for MIDI, it should have a waveblaster header for mounting the Dreamblaster DB as well. Alternately, you can use a clone card and install a CT1920 Goldfinch device for EMU8k music.

Yep, that's what I meant.

Reply 64 of 189, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

So what does everyone think about choice of chipset?

VIA or ALI?

I like both of and they both have some good chipsets, the only gripes I have always ends up with the build quality of the boards or the lack of fsb and multiplier selection. Performance wise they are solid even though there are some differences I feel that all things considered they are equal. Now days one doesn't have the option to be picky about SS7 boards as they are getting to be hard to find except for the lower end oem boards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 65 of 189, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kept using the V3, so didn't run into AGP issues. Got to try out some other cards one day to see what they are like.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 66 of 189, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i went mvp3 back then, i didn't like the ride

Reply 67 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, here are my replies to all the comments so far:
I am going with the Gigabyte GA-5AX Motherboard so that I can manipulate the clock like in PhilsComputerLab's 4-in-1 MS-DOS/Windows gaming PC.

For GPU, I will pair the Voodoo 2 SLI with either the Nvidia TNT2-Ultra or the ATi Rage Fury Maxx. Need to see benchmarks of both to choose which one.

For the sound card, I have a few options. I could go with the AWE32 + Dreamblaster X1 + some cheap card for midi if necessary, AWE64 Gold + SB Pro, or a SB16 + Dreamblaster X1 + Ultrasound ACE.
Lastly, OS? 98 seems like the best option. Is ME as bad as they say?

Reply 68 of 189, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As already said if I had to build a ss7 system for myself, I would not use the dual Rage 128 Pro card if it will perform probably (but I got no benchmark results to be sure) not much faster of the much cheaper single Rage 128 Pro when I suspect also that even this one would still be limited by the cpu.
Anyway, for the os I tried both and to my eyes are ok even if ME would probably be a bit more demanding on cpu/ram maybe but it has native usb and a more "modern" looking style.

Reply 69 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. What is the upper OS limit for a K6-III+?

Reply 70 of 189, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Practically, just win98

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 71 of 189, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only tried 9x and ME on the K62+ 500 and it seems "enough". But I don't know if others tried also NT or 2000 os onto it and how it would performs.

Reply 72 of 189, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in 2004 I tried XP SP1 on a K6-2 450 it worked rather well, but SP2 made it cry like a 5 year old girl being hit by mike tyson

Reply 73 of 189, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want a solid AGP card that will be cheap and wont be a bottle neck, nor be bottle necked by the k6 I would recommend the Geforce 2 MX cards. Low power, and you know what you are getting. Finding an well priced TNT2 Ultra can be a pain and the Rage Furry Maxx by all accounts is not that good, and is expensive.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 74 of 189, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jupiter-18 wrote:

For the sound card, I have a few options. I could go with the AWE32 + Dreamblaster X1 + some cheap card for midi if necessary, AWE64 Gold + SB Pro, or a SB16 + Dreamblaster X1 + Ultrasound ACE.
Lastly, OS? 98 seems like the best option. Is ME as bad as they say?

I think the SB16 + Dreamblaster + GUS-ACE are the best for you, if you are going to play games as old as 1991 and up to 1999.
For the OS, then try both Windows versions. Personally I like Win98se better than ME. Personal choices differ though.
I would strongly recommend that you dualboot with MS-Dos-6.22 if you go for a GUS-ACE.
There are Win95 drivers for GUS, yet a GUS are really a Dos soundcard.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 75 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I plan on using this to play games from 1980 to 2000. Which DOS version should I grab for that?
For soundcards, would the SB16 + dreamblasterX1 + Ultrasound ACE cover those years?

Reply 76 of 189, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

back in 2012 i use to have have a SS7 DFI motherboard with a 500MHz K6-2, 384MB of RAM, 30GB HDD, I don't recall what I had for an AGP Card, but I had windows xp Pro SP3 on it and it ran fine if you know how to tweak it.
Turn off system restore
Turn off a few of the visuals & graphics stuff
Keep virus protection off especially security essentials
Turn off printing services and indexing
keep HDD defragged (if your HDD is taking a crap then its going to be harder running xp)
Max out RAM
Replace media player with vlc if your playing mp3's (Media player uses more RAM then vlc)
Replace IE8 in favor of Firefox (Firefox runs the best in my opinion, latest one fixed a lot of bugs as of 2016)

Keep in mind that youtube is out of the question with this cpu but lite website browsing will be fine.

Ive used this setup for unreal tournament lan games (low settings of course), I really wish I still had this PC 😢

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 77 of 189, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMO the FIC 2013.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 78 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Internet browsing is not really a concern of mine. This will be primarily game-oriented, perhaps with some video editing and music making.

Reply 79 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do people think of the S3 Savage 4 or Savage 2000?