VOGONS

First post, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Vogon followers,
Just wanted to pick your brains about where I can get coolers for my PPro's. Running a dual W6-Li and want to get a bit more cooling on the cpu's instead of the stock coolers. Any ideas or info is welcome.

Thanks

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was contemplating the same thing a couple years ago, but I ended up wanting to try making my own from leftover stock s754/s939 heatsinks.

They have the right dimensions, but iirc they kinda needed to be installed with a quarter turn and it needed some work with the metal of the heatsink.

I ended up never actually trying this, partially because I already have a s8 heatsink and don't need another one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't need much but I think copper Socket A coolers can work provided you found ones that are just large enough to cover area over both the core and the cache, all you would need is to make or modify the mounting clips needed to mount the coolers. If all else look for 1U server coolers and cook something up, one can probably go to the extreme of making one large cooler to cool both procs (or more) out of multiple smaller coolers provided there was nothing in the way between the sockets ect.

If you got any metal working skills and some imagination you should be able to make something awesome. I used to do hard core cooling mods of all kinds (air only) that worked well.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They really dont need anything fancy. A better fan would be beneficial, but the chips don't get very warm anyway.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

They really dont need anything fancy. A better fan would be beneficial, but the chips don't get very warm anyway.

I thought Pentium Pro chips were known for running hot. Then again, I'm probably getting them mixed up with Socket 4 Pentiums. 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I thought Pentium Pro chips were known for running hot. Then again, I'm probably getting them mixed up with Socket 4 Pentiums. 😜

They do run hot (around 50W or so? Socket 4 runs a lot cooler than that). The main problem is finding a good heatsink that fits s8. Otherwise just adding a better fan would I reckon be the easiest way to obtain better cooling.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

50w is the maximum for the 1mb chip. This isn't as much of a big deal as it seems to be. If you can find an old server and salvage its heatsinks, put on a decent 60mm fan, your right as rain.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Socket 4 was hot for the time but it is only a candle to procs that came later, just slap on a fan and cool as cucumber.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.