VOGONS

First post, by AaronAsh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a Super Socket 7 system I built for some mixed DOS/Win98 gaming, specs as follows:

Motherboard - PCChips M577
CPU - AMD K6-III+ 450 (overclocked to a stable 550 @ 2.1v)
RAM - 256mb (2x128mb)
Graphics #1 - Diamond Viper V770 32mb AGP (this is a rebranded TNT2 Pro IIRC)
Graphics #2 - SLI 12mb 100Mhz Voodoo2s
Sound - Yamaha YMF219
HDD - WD 160GB SATA drive formatted to 128GB via SATA to IDE converter
Network - PCI Intel 10/100 Ethernet card

So the system is generally well behaved, doesn't seem to suffer from any unexpected compatibility problems and is fun to tinker with.

However, with 3D games in Windows I seem to be getting significantly less performance than I expected, regardless of which graphics card I use. For example, in Quake 2 in 16 bit colour using timedemo on demo1.dm2 I get around 33 fps with the SLI Voodoo2s and around 40 fps with the TNT2. However I've seen benchmarks, older ones from places like Anandtech and TomsHardware and the newer ones PhilsComputerLab does, which suggest I should instead be expecting performance well into the 60 fps range with both of these cards in similar hardware configurations. Other games like Unreal seem to demonstrate similarly lower than expected performance. I have already applied things like the usual BIOS tweaks, different driver versions (including FastVoodoo) but at best these have improved things by a couple of fps.

So my question is - is there something else in my system that could be a bottleneck? Are there any unusual BIOS/Windows settings I should look to change, or any hidden graphics card driver options that might help with the SS7 motherboard? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pull out the sound card and could you then test again?

Quake II is the easiest one / most consistent. What FPS are you then getting at 640x480x16?

Moving to a GeForce card with TnL, you should a small boost in Quake II also.

As for the BIOS, I just went with the Turbo BIOS defaults.

I would check if the cache is working and try with a single 128 MB stick of memory also.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 23, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i tested on a K6-3 with 450Mhz and i couldnt get any benefit from Dual Voodoo 2's except higher Resolutions.
Also 3DMark Scores for Voodoo 2's and Radeon 7000 are very similar.
The K6-3 has a weak FPU, don't excpect Wonders.

EDIT:
Oh, this is already MVP3 =)
Did you install AGP Drivers from VIA?
And you did use a Older Version of the Chipset Driver ? not the most recent avaible ? if you use newest Version you will not get maximum performance.
Are K6 MTRR's enabled ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 23, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run 430TX with PCI Radeon, so no AGP issues 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 23, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i suggest you first run superpi to check out whether the cpu-cache-ram subsystem performance is up to standard. if its slower than 5:30 then something is wrong within this subsystem, or else check out agp and video drivers and settings.

Reply 6 of 23, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have this board first time around paired with a K6-2 400 and a TNT2 M64.

These boards are so picky on the Via 4in1 drivers, they work terribly without them and unstable with certain revisions. I think I tested 4.41 as the best all round drivers.

What FSB are you running? 100mhz?

Edit - It may of been the Via 4in1 Version 4.28 driver.

Last edited by foey on 2016-08-11, 22:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 8 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can the board cache 256mb?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 23, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking, but does the board matter when using a CPU with integrated cache?

i think those with integrated cache handle almost any amount of ram well;
also my k6-2 was faster at quake 2 than his pc, and i had worse hardware overall;
measuring synthetic performace for cpu/memory/hd/graphics in 2d and 3d might help for starters imho

Reply 11 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just wondering, as I know about this on the Ali-V, just not how the K6-III CPU are working with cache on MVP3.
There are differences between running the cache as write-through and write-back on K6-II.
How this affect's the MVP3, when running K6-III and K6-III+ is something I don't know.

I was just asking if somebody know if that setup can cache 256mb or not.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 23, by AaronAsh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly I made a huge mistake in my original post - the system is actually using an Acorp 5ALI61 motherboard! Not sure quite how I got the two mixed up, but my excuse is I have both boards and have swapped them out several times. This uses an Ali Aladdin chipset, for which I am using the 1.9 ALI AGP drivers.

Anyway, I uninstalled/removed my sound card, dropped down to a single 128mb RAM module and ran a few more benchmarks with Quake 2:

Voodoo 2 SLI
640x480x16 - 35.1
1024x768x16 - 33.8

TNT2
640x480x16 - 38.5
1024x768x16 - 41.6

So those are immediately kind of interesting, as the Voodoo2s aren't really showing the kind of scaling you might expect and the TNT2 actually loses some performance going to a lower resolution! That to me suggests something in the system is getting swamped by the graphics cards output and totally failing to cope with it.

CPU is running at 5.5 x 100 - I did a run of SuperPi and it took 5:35; seems reasonable?

I did initially ignore the lower performance as me overestimating how well these machines used to run, but there are plenty of benchmarks of Voodoo2s/TNT2s with K6-2/3 CPUs which indicate this performance really isn't what you'd expect.

Reply 14 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could see NVidia OpenGL outperforming 3dfx OpenGL. Lower CPU overhead is allowing the TNT2 to beat the Voodoo2 SLI on the slow CPU.

There is a Quake2 3DNow patch you should be using that is tailored around Voodoo2.

Reply 15 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've now done all my 3dfx cards on that same SS7 platform.

Even the Banshee does 64 fps at 640x480x16 in Quake II. A V3 2000, which is pretty much on the level of V2 SLI, gets 60+ at all resolutions.

The Nvidia cards run into the same CPU limit, but with the GeForce 256 and higher, are getting a speed boost because TnL kicks in with OpenGL.

So yea, you definitely have something holding back your system big time.

AaronAsh, if you can attach your SuperPi software and tell me what test to run, I can run it later to compare.

Also double check that V-Sync is turned off. With V2 cards, you need an external tool to accomplish this. You can run FRAPS to observer this, or run GLQuake at 512 x 368 resolution and see if you're running into the refresh rate limit.

Reply 16 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Geforce2 won't help with Deus Ex though 🤣

Usually the enjoyment of a Geforce on a SS7 is to crank up the res to 1280x1024, or FSAA to x4 and take in the image quality while you can't go any faster.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really got to get myself that game, it's getting mentioned all the time 😀

But yes, that game seems a bit too new and demanding.

Reply 18 of 23, by AaronAsh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Phil - I ran a 1M test on SuperPi, using the version from this thread: The All-amazing super-de-douper SuperPi thread!

Will have a tinker with v-sync settings and see if any of them are interfering - the tool for the Voodoo2s you mentioned is the one that adds the overclocking tab in display settings? Fairly sure I already tried that.