VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I know this is not the best place top ask, but what the heck.

I have a PC at work (HP EliteOne 800) running win7 pro x64 with a canon ir1025 printer connected via USB.

Nothing is wrong with the printer (according to canon service tech)
The newest drivers have been installed for the printer.

When printing more then one copy in excel (office 2007) It tosses up a error. See attachment

Anyone have any ideas? Oddly if you print from anything else its fine, and 2 other computers at work had the same problem with the same printer, but updating the printer drivers fixed it, oddly it did not fix this computer.

EDIT:
What all I done that did not work.

Installed the newest driver for the printer.
Tried PCL drivers
Had canon send a tech down (found nothing wrong with the printer)
Did a system restore before the problem began (did not help)
Did a SFC and rebooted.
Removed all traces of the printer drivers and reinstalled the newest drivers.
Set printer spooler to spool at the host.
Set printer spooler to spool at the client.
Printing as an admin user.
The printer does not have the option to disable/enable mopier mode.

EDIT:2
The system is in a remote location and I can't remove office/excel and reinstall it.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-08-26, 15:23. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Any other app is oddly OK. And I had the exact same problem on 2 other computers, but updating the printer drivers fixed the problem with those computers. But this one it did not. And I just found out the it can print 2 copy's but anything over 3 can it fails, even one cell with 123 in it will not print more then 2 copies at a time.

I sent a sent a 5ish mb file txt file (via notepad) to the printer and told it to make 500 copy's and it went though fine.
Ohh, and I did not let it print all 500 copy's 🤣

Reply 3 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Oddly if you print from anything else its fine, and 2 other computers at work had the same problem with the same printer, but updating the printer drivers fixed it, oddly it did not fix this computer.

This suggests that something went wrong in the update. Perhaps you should check that all the driver files on this computer are the same as they are on the fixed computer.

You should also probably try a disk cleanup, i.e. manually empty your TEMP folders.

Reply 5 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:

anything in the logs?
have you compared the printing settings on those computers?

All 3 systems have the same setting and setup.
And nothing in the logs, that I found that is.

Jorpho wrote:

This suggests that something went wrong in the update. Perhaps you should check that all the driver files on this computer are the same as they are on the fixed computer.

You should also probably try a disk cleanup, i.e. manually empty your TEMP folders.

I thought is was a bad update too, that was why I removed everything related to the drivers and reinstalled them. All files are the same. (I think)
oddly these canon printers leave no trace of them in the device manager.

I'll try a disk clean up.

Thanks for the help guys.

Reply 6 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another troubleshooting step would be to install LibreOffice and try to print said spreadsheets from it instead of Excel. Maybe it's a setting in Excel or a borked Microsoft Office patch from last Tuesday.

CCleaner on the machine too. Clean registry (make a backup before cleaning) and temp files.

When was the computer last restarted? Sounds stupid, but I have users who don't restart their computer for weeks, and don't think to try that first.

Chkdsk /f

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Disk clean up did not work

clueless1 wrote:

Another troubleshooting step would be to install LibreOffice and try to print said spreadsheets from it instead of Excel. Maybe it's a setting in Excel or a borked Microsoft Office patch from last Tuesday.

I'm not installing that. I'm not making a mess of the system. that's a good idea and all, but I don't like to install anything on a system that's not needed.

clueless1 wrote:

CCleaner on the machine too. Clean registry (make a backup before cleaning) and temp files.

I was thinking of that. I don't like using that app, but It's getting to the point that I'll have too.
And I rebooted the system today.

EDIT
cleaner did not help. Rebooting the system to be safe.
I might need to reinstall excel.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-08-26, 15:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Disk clean up did not work

clueless1 wrote:

I'm not installing that. I'm not making a mess of the system.

At least check Windows Update history to see if there were an Office patches installed recently that you can research or undo.

BTW, LO will not "make a mess" of a system. It can happily co-exist with MS Office. You can even have it open certain office files by default while MS Office opens others.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

At least check Windows Update history to see if there were an Office patches installed recently that you can research or undo.

I was just about to do that. looks like there was quite a few updates to office. Removing the ones tied to excel.

clueless1 wrote:

BTW, LO will not "make a mess" of a system. It can happily co-exist with MS Office. You can even have it open certain office files by default while MS Office opens others.

I just rather not go there. I had people do stuff like that befor and I have to go behind them and fix things.

Reply 10 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to go that route, there is apparently a portable version of LibreOffice which does not require installation and probably shouldn't leave any traces.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

It may be worthwhile to run Process Monitor on one of the machines that works, and compare the result to what you get when you run Process Monitor on a machine that doesn't work, but printing is such a complex process that I suspect the logs would be very large.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Got it! disabling print Collate when printing in excel and it prints more 3 and more copies at a time.
Odd fix, but I'm not complaining. So they will be out of order and what not. That's not my department. 🤣

OK,OK so it's a band aid fix, but its a fix and a step in the right direction.

Reply 12 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nicely done!

Do you have a print server? i was also going to suggest to update the printer driver on the print server if you did.

So how did you disable collate, from the print dialog in Excel, or at the driver level?

Reply 13 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

No print server. Just disabled it in excel. No need to disable it in the drivers as it worked fine with other apps. Canon said there were having driver bugs with an update or something. what ever, I'll update the drivers when they have a fixed version.