VOGONS

First post, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can have one or the other, and they work fine. But anytime I put them together the computer won't boot (DOS system.)

It also has strange artifacts like the CPU showing 8mhz or 240mhz (default is 133mhz).

Its an ASUS PVI-486SP3 motherboard with Award BIOS. I can't seem to find a way to disable Plug and Play entirely.

I've also set the Gravis Ultrasound to use a different address, irq, dma, etc than the Sound Blaster, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I wonder if before it gets to the DOS TSRs for the SB16 and Gravis that the Plug and Play system is messing it up?

Reply 2 of 8, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

Did you try to disable PnP in the bios?

I don't see an option to disable it. I've attached an image of the PCI AND PNP SETUP menu options.

IMG_0930.JPG
Filename
IMG_0930.JPG
File size
2.56 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 8, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have them both working independently now.

But the computer still POSTS 8 mhz, 64 mhz, 240 mhz, randomly. I think it must be a bug with how the bios displays the mhz value because the computer seems to run fine regardless of whatever it displays. I'll run a few benchmarks to be sure.

Also, the DIAGNOSE step in start up for the Sound Blaster complains about environment not free or something, but it doesn't seem to matter. The card still works. So I've just removed that from the autoexec.bat.

Reply 6 of 8, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try disabling the ps/2 mouse, it might get crazy about not sharing irq12. I have a computer with guspnp and awe32 that I had to disable mouse in bios because it use irq12 and I cannot get the hell of those two cards to play along if that irq is not free on the machine.

Reply 7 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also experienced some weird behaviour in my ASUS PVI-486SP3 motherboard when I plugged in my Compaq Ultra-Sound 32.
At first it worked fine and then one day, no more sound output. When I plugged the card into another motherboard, sound output was fine.
I haven't had the time to explore this problem further.

However, coming back to your issue, you might want to check if you can flash your BIOS to a later version, but this is dependent on your motherboard revision and what type of BIOS chip your have (the 5V or 12V type).
There are some other threads about the PVI-486SP3 motherboard and the different BIOS revisions.

You can perhaps just try to load your BIOS Setup Defaults and then see what happens. Also try and reseat your cards and memory on your motherboard.

Reply 8 of 8, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course you did try the guspnp eeprom tool to disable redundant stuff on the guspnp like the sb emulation irq or useless stuff like that ?