Need help with Adaptec 1542B SCSI Controller

Topic actions

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am playing around with SCSI.

I've got an older 1542B controller with 3.1 BIOS, which has a 1 GB drive limit.

1) I am wondering if anyone can point me to the BIOS upgrade that extends the drive limit to 8 GB?

2) The other question is, how can you boot from the SCSI hard drive?

The current status is that the drive gets picked up fine, I can FDISK, and Format it. I can copy files from and to the drive. But too boot I still need to boot from a floppy drive. How can I make it boot from the SCSI drive itself?

The drive I'm using is an older Quantum ProDrive LPS with around 500 MB of space.

3) CTRL+A doesn't seem to do anything. I read that it's meant to get you into the BIOS. But maybe this only applies to later versions of the controller?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1> http://ibm-pc.org/firmware/other/adaptec/adaptec.htm
2> yes. you might have to enable it in the adaptec bios. I remember mine had the ctrl-A option.
3> maybe the 3.20 firmware will help

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

1> http://ibm-pc.org/firmware/other/adaptec/adaptec.htm
2> yes. you might have to enable it in the adaptec bios. I remember mine had the ctrl-A option.
3> maybe the 3.20 firmware will help

Thank you!

I read most of your previous posts on this topic, they were very helpful.

Reply 3 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ctrl-A only works when you have devices attached to the SCSI bus. If you only have the card with no devices, it does nothing.

I'm not sure if the 1542B and 1542CF use the same BIOS. If you want I can make an image of my 1542CF BIOS.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Ctrl-A only works when you have devices attached to the SCSI bus. If you only have the card with no devices, it does nothing.

I'm not sure if the 1542B and 1542CF use the same BIOS. If you want I can make an image of my 1542CF BIOS.

I have one hard drive connected. It's fully working, but no CTRL+A message appears. It does detect the drive on ID 0 though.

I've just backed up my 3.1 chips. I'm attaching them to this message in case someone googles and stumbles across here.

I'll leave the current chips intact and order replacements. I don't like pealing off the stickers on the originals 😀

Reply 5 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you need to enable the BIOS before you can boot from a drive. The drive needs to be set to ID 0.

Unfortunately I can't help you any further because I only own an Adaptec 1520B SCSI-2 adapter, which uses a dipswitch block to enable or disable PnP configuration and the BIOS instead of jumpers...

Reply 6 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

I think you need to enable the BIOS before you can boot from a drive. The drive needs to be set to ID 0.

The drive is set to ID 0. AFAIK only ID 0 and ID 1 work. I'm sure the BIOS is enabled, I checked all the jumpers per manual.

Anyway, I'll pick up the project once the replacement chips arrive 😀

Reply 7 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

The drive is set to ID 0. AFAIK only ID 0 and ID 1 work. I'm sure the BIOS is enabled, I checked all the jumpers per manual.

Anyway, I'll pick up the project once the replacement chips arrive 😀

Maybe you should then double-check the jumpers, because the 1520B manual explicitly states the Ctrl-A message will only show up if the BIOS is enabled (IIRC, it shows up after POST). I also just read in the 1520B installation guide that booting from a SCSI hard disk will only work if there are no non-SCSI boot devices in the system. Try disabling your IDE channels and see if it works.

The only other reasons listed in that manual for the BIOS Ctrl-A message not showing up are related to resource conflicts and improperly terminated devices or faulty cables, but apparently that should also cause system hangs or instability...

Reply 8 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will do. There is no other IDE controller in the machine, just the 1542B.

Yup it's enabled. If I disable it there is no message. Enabled it states the BIOS version and detects the hard drive and all of that.

Reply 9 of 20, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 1542B that I was just messing with. I didn't have any issues with it detecting and booting. worked pretty much just as if i was setting an IDE drive up. It was only a 1GB drive though.

20161006_131603_zpsf7ahvj2k.jpg

heres how mine is jumpered. The floppy controller on the card is disabled. I also originally had issues with a resource conflict with the sound card which I think i remember solving by changing addresses.

Reply 10 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try hitting CTRL-A repeatedly throughout the POST process? Maybe the message is going by too fast to see it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you enabled shadow memory in the computers BIOS? It will need that in order to boot.
Does the harddrive have the lowest SCSI Device ID? (can't remember if that is 0 or 1)
Have you terminated the end of the cable?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've answered your questions below, but the good news is that, in a 486 machine, it booted right away 😀

No "Press CTRL+A" message though.

I'll check it out in more detail once the 1542CF, spare EPROM chips and UV eraser arrive.

Brostenen, on the 486, even with all the shadow features disabled (Video, System, All devices), it still boots. So maybe there is something else going on?

soviet conscript wrote:

I have a 1542B that I was just messing with. I didn't have any issues with it detecting and booting. worked pretty much just as if i was setting an IDE drive up. It was only a 1GB drive though.

heres how mine is jumpered. The floppy controller on the card is disabled. I also originally had issues with a resource conflict with the sound card which I think i remember solving by changing addresses.

Thank you!

Apart from the VGA card and SCSI controller, no other cards are in the machine. I am using the Floppy interface on the Adaptec, works fine.

clueless1 wrote:

Did you try hitting CTRL-A repeatedly throughout the POST process? Maybe the message is going by too fast to see it.

Of course 🤣

brostenen wrote:

Have you enabled shadow memory in the computers BIOS? It will need that in order to boot.
Does the harddrive have the lowest SCSI Device ID? (can't remember if that is 0 or 1)
Have you terminated the end of the cable?

I remembered your advice of course! Drive is ID 0 and yes terminator resistors are installed.

Reply 13 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to hear, that it is up and running. 😜
How much heat does the drive put out? My IBM 10.000rpm drives get seriously hot. 🙁
Therefor I am constantly looking into getting a 5400/7200rpm SCSI-II drive.
(Why did I not keep the 40mb drive I had years ago)

Reply 14 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an old 500 MB drive with 50 pin connector. It's noisy, but not really hot to be honest. I don't have anything high end. Getting a 9 GB drive soon. It's 80 pin though, so I will be using an adapter. Plus another SCSI mystery device that I will reviewing at some point 😀

Reply 15 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's an old 500 MB drive with 50 pin connector. It's noisy, but not really hot to be honest. I don't have anything high end. Getting a 9 GB drive soon. It's 80 pin though, so I will be using an adapter. Plus another SCSI mystery device that I will reviewing at some point 😀

Oooh! Oooh! A SCSI flatbed scanner?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Oooh! Oooh! A SCSI flatbed scanner?

I have one of those, an old HP one. Been my workhorse for many, many years. In fact it's so old it was never supported in any Microsoft OS after NT4. Works fine in Linux though. 😀
Very good build quality, and resolution/color rendition is better than any of the crap you can buy in stores these days.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 17 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Now this is interesting, because on my 1520B adapter shadow RAM needs to be disabled for the BIOS and booting to work. Now it might just depend on the adapter model, but trying without enabling shadow RAM might be worthwhile.

Although I also remember trying that card on a AMD Duron system and not being able to get the hard disk detected at all (and no BIOS message) while it previously had worked in a 486...so maybe these cards are sensitive to global system speed?

Reply 18 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be because of different controllers.
My card, 1542-C, has settings for memory space (example d800h or d400h) and I need to enable the same space in my BIOS in order for the card to work.
I can set it all by dipswitche, found on the card somewere.

Reply 19 of 20, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One point with the ISA controllers is, that the BIOS on the card usually defaults to the controller to be at port 0x330h fixed. If the ROM find the controller it enables the configuration services etc.
If the controller is jumpered to another port then the controller still works, however no ROM services are enabled (e.g. booting from SCSI) since the ROM is programmed for the default port only. If another port should be used a different BIOS ROM has to be used (e.g. for controller at port 340h).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool