Filename
IMG_1714.JPG
File size
149.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and not sure if this is the best place to post this.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on this card:-

I thought of the soundscape S2000 but the photos seem different to mine.

Thanks,

Malc.
ATTACHMENTS
IMG_1714.JPG
Last edited by Malc63 on 2016-10-07 @ 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Malc63

Reply 1 of 4, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like an S-2000 to me - with the smaller 1Mb ROM and no CD-interfaces. I would say this is an OEM variant instead of the more robust retail version that has the longer 2Mb ROM chip and pins for the CD-ROM interfaces. Hard to tell from the picture, but it should say S-2016 on there somewhere on the white sticker.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by Malc63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Artex,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it does have the S2016 sticker.

Is this board worth anything?

Cheers,

Malc.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good question! As with most of the stuff, everyone's got his/her own idea of value. To me, this card is worth it because of the onboard midi synth - although the 2Mb version is probably better for those with more discerning ears. This card also holds some nostalgic value to me since it was the card that came in the very first machine I bought for myself back in 1995 - a Gateway 2000 P5-75 beast of a tower - and more importantly, it's the first time I heard wavetable synthesis. After playing some DOOM and Descent and hearing what this card could do to general midi files, I've never looked back! I do remember the SB Blaster Emulation of this card being rather crappy though, so I always disabled the PCM/WAV portion of the card and threw in a true soundblaster card for DOS games. Generally though, in Windows the card did OK using the native ports. From a monetary standpoint, the real money seems to be associated with the Ensoniq SoundScape Elite - which essentially the 2Mb ROM variant with a DSP effects-processing (reverb) daughterboard.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... similar to the TB Maui/Tropez cards, I wonder if the 68EC000 firmware can be patched to support normal mode MPU functionality.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder