VOGONS

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did the Soundblaster 16 PCI have a Waveblaster expansion-header?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I could find, there was only one model number designated to the Sound Blaster 16 PCI, namely CT4740.
This one didn't have a Wave Blaster header.

Reply 3 of 6, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to everyone's favorite often-inaccurate source, Wikipedia, there were at least a dozen model numbers for it! But seeing as the "Sound Blaster 16 PCI" is actually based on the Ensoniq AudioPCI chip, not the Sound Blaster 16 chip at all, it makes sense that none of them have WaveBlaster support.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on Creative's own website (http://www.ask.asia.creative.com/wwenglish/ge … _list_audio.htm) there was only one model that (according to them) was referred to as the Sound Blaster 16 PCI.
However, you are correct that this is just a marketing ploy and is nothing more than a rebadged Ensoniq AudioPCI card.

There were slightly different drivers for the Creative derivatives, but they operated practically the same.

Last edited by jesolo on 2016-10-18, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK no PCI card made by Creative ever had a waveblaster header.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 6, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ I second that. There is no Creative PCI sound card with the Waveblaster header.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.