VOGONS

8 bit Pro Audio Spectrum

Topic actions

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. My friend over at the recycling center sent me a few photos of stuff he set apart for me, and I a huge 8 bit isa sound card stood out. After some googling I figured it's a Pro Audio Spectrum. I have a few questions about this card, maybe some of you who are more knowledgeable can help out:

- would this sound card work in an Amstrad 1512?
- is the PaS SB compatible?
- is there anything special about this card?

DSC_0324.jpg

The card is in the upper left corner, encircled.

Reply 1 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

- would this sound card work in an Amstrad 1512?

In theory, yes, but maybe this card needs -5v like the PAS16.

kanecvr wrote:

- is the PaS SB compatible?

Nope, it's a standard on its own. 😀 It supports Adlib, though, and you can couple it with a Thunder Board. (or other SB clones)

kanecvr wrote:

- is there anything special about this card?

Yes, it is the ancestor of a whole sound card family. Like the very first SoundBlaster, albeit less troublesome and with better audio quality. 😉
And it has some interesting features, like Dual-OPL2 and "emulation" of the PC-Speaker.

Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum and Pro Audio Spectrum 16?

But I'm speaking under correction, I'm no PAS owner myself right now (I've got several PAS16s, though).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's indeed a special card. They're sought after but almost never show up on eBay.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a 6 meg Voodoo 1. Edit: Actually a 6MB ProComp G105 Voodoo Rush (apparently they're not all AT25/AT3D based - and who knew they could go down to 4MB?).

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amazing find - very rare indeed for the original 8-bit PAS! Hope it works for you! There aren't a whole lot of socketed memory 3DFX cards either - pretty cool stuff imo.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, there's some AWESOME stuff in there!

That PAS is really cool and highly unusual... never seen one myself... but there's two Voodoo Rush cards, one of them being one with the (from what I've read) much better and more compatible Macronix 2D chip. Rush cards aren't that easy to come by, especially the Macronix (MX) ones.

Also, a black PCB Voodoo Graphics is quite uncommon as far as I know. Looks like the Biostar card mentioned here:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/index.htm

My hardware collecting problem would be much MUCH worse if people just found stuff like that laying around and gave it to me.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 12, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys. Don't worry, I'm grabbing all the 3dfx cards. I'm also getting the socket 7 SOC and the VLB IDE controllers.

Ozzuneoj wrote:
Wow, there's some AWESOME stuff in there! […]
Show full quote

Wow, there's some AWESOME stuff in there!

That PAS is really cool and highly unusual... never seen one myself... but there's two Voodoo Rush cards, one of them being one with the (from what I've read) much better and more compatible Macronix 2D chip. Rush cards aren't that easy to come by, especially the Macronix (MX) ones.

Also, a black PCB Voodoo Graphics is quite uncommon as far as I know. Looks like the Biostar card mentioned here:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/index.htm

Wow, thanks for IDing it for me - I was actually wondering what it was.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

My hardware collecting problem would be much MUCH worse if people just found stuff like that laying around and gave it to me.

Agreed. Unfortunately I have to pay for these 😀

Artex wrote:

Amazing find - very rare indeed for the original 8-bit PAS! Hope it works for you! There aren't a whole lot of socketed memory 3DFX cards either - pretty cool stuff imo.

Thank you. I'm excited about getting this lot.

firage wrote:

Looks like a 6 meg Voodoo 1. Edit: Actually a 6MB ProComp G105 Voodoo Rush (apparently they're not all AT25/AT3D based - and who knew they could go down to 4MB?).

Yes, the MX based Rush is a Procomp, while the AT25 based card is an Atrend.

@joe and firage - thanks. The Amstrad is an XT machine and I think it has a -5v rail. I'll try it out.

Reply 9 of 12, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really hit the jackpot with that PAS...

Reply 10 of 12, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Amstrad DOES have a -5v rail 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK 8-bit PAS doesn't even require a -5v rail (unlike most of its 16-bit successors).

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 12 of 12, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

AFAIK 8-bit PAS doesn't even require a -5v rail (unlike most of its 16-bit successors).

Correct.